Let's see some Pre-WWII USMC Photos

DevilDan1900

I've always had a fascination with the Marines of the "Old Corp" dating from the 1890s through the late 1930s. The variations and combinations of uniforms always adds great flair to the photos you find of these guys. Especially those who served as seagoing Marines or especially "Old China Hands." So feel free to share and discuss and USMC photos you have from this period. Here is one of mine which shows a group of Krag era Marines in the field sometime around 1900 - 1904. Judging by the tropical trees, I have always figured this to have been taken in the Phillipines.

post-156-1168570865.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any to share, but I'd like to compliment you on that great picture! Your Old Corps collection amazes me!

Adam

Charlie Flick

USMC__03sUSSNewYork.jpg

Hi Dan:

I'm glad to see someone else here who likes period pics. I like the one you posted. Here is one from the archives, a colorized Postal Card. It shows Marines aboard the USS New York armed with M1903 Springfield Rifles.

If I can find the time I will try to post a few more later on.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Here is a candid private photo of Generals Smedley Butler and John A. Lejeune having a smoke together circa 1919. It's interesting to note that General Lejeune wears the older style "bell crown" cap while General Butler wears the newer style. Also you can see the top two ribbons on General Butler's chest are for his two Medals of Honor, the only USMC Officer to achieve this.

post-156-1168707265.jpg

Here's a shot taken of some of the Marines of the U.S.S. Newark at the M. Hata Studio in Hong Kong in 1900. These Marines have just returned from defending the legations at Peking during the Boxer Rebellion. The short unassuming looking fellow seated lower left is Pvt. Daniel Daly, having just won his first Medal of Honor for his valor during the seige. He is photographed wearing the M1895 visor cap I have in my collection. The man sitting next to him is trumpeter John Murphy who also received a Medal of Honor for heroism during this action.

post-156-1168707894.jpg

Hey Dirk,

Good to have you aboard! I was so impressed with your USMC photo threads on the WA forum, I figured I would make an attempt over here. See if I could get some never before seen images out of the woodwork. The photo that I have is an original, but there were at least 2 copies made. The scratches you see on their uniforms was apparently made to the actual negative for some reason. The one that appears in Chenoweth's book was one copy that was donated to the USMC Museum in the mid 1970s along with Dan Daly's two Medals of Honor and some other limited ephemera by his Nephew. The one that I have was one of his personal copies and has his handwriting on it as well as the stamp of the studio where it was taken in Hong Kong.

Charlie Flick

Dan:

A great shot of Generals LeJeune and Butler. Those guys look tough as nails.

Here is another. It shows a shipboard Marine, date and location unknown, bearing a Navy M1895 Lee Rifle. He has on the unique Lee cartridge belt and bayonet scabbard. I don't think the Marines used these rifles very long, so that ought to narrow down just when this one was taken. Photo credit to RayG (I think!).

Charlie Flick

Capture.JPG

Thanks Dan. I'll be doing a short thread on Haiti soon as I want to get the pictures out before they fade. On the Hata image can we please see the whole image to include the borders, card stock and photograghers stamp.....I've got a few China/PI studio images and I am always amazed at the differences between the Asian, American, and European studios....thanks. Dirk

Charlie Flick

Here is another one. This one is from the 1920s when the Marines became involved in guarding US Mail shipments. These Marines are seen in Detroit, armed with the M1903 rifle and the M1911 pistol.

Charlie Flick

Capture.JPG

Those are great images! Did Daly receive a second MOH ?

Here's a photo postcard I purchased just today at a local flea market. Is this a WW1 era Marine? Immediately below the ega on his hat is a "13". It's possibly a different number but it looks like 13. Does that represent Company 13 ? The photographer's name on the reverse is: Lipp Studios in Philadelphia.

Thanks!

Kim

post-60-1168734088.jpg

post-60-1168734130.jpg

Two photos of my Great Uncle Private Peter George Green, one just after completing training at Parris Island when he was attached to the Port Royal Marine Band (June 1918) and the other in France with Co. B, 13th Marines (probably September 1918).

Note in the first photo the Musicians emblem under the EGA and on his collar and in the second that he has the breech action cover on his M1903 rifle.

post-22-0-63012800-1400618520.jpg

post-22-0-94857900-1400618522.jpg

jeremiahcable

There is some nice stuff being shown off in here. Kim, I think that the number on that marine's campaign hat is a 6 or an 8. The lack of focus makes it hard to tell but I am pretty sure that's it.

I do love the photo of the marines in France getting on the famous rail cars the "8 or 40s" as they were known. Very cool image, especialy with the overseas caps that have the large EGA mounted on them.

And Bill, I believe you can go into your post with the oversized picture and do an advanced edit to remove the image. If you'd like I can resize and repost it for you.

Jeremiah

craig_pickrall
I guess the picture was too big....Moderator, please delete the "hat shot"

Bill

I looked at the pic before deleting. It was about 172 kb and you can post pics up tp 250 kb. I'm not sure why the problem. I did try to fix it before deleting it with no luck. You might edit the size and try again.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would bring this thread back to life. Just picked up this photo recently, great shot of a USMC Artillery Unit. Even the trucks have USMC stenciled on the sides. I am assuming this is most likely pre WW1, but does anyone have any background on the types of trucks shown here, or exactly when they were used?

post-156-1172114181.jpg

These next two photos were also included in the same group. The first shows a Lewis machine gun being fired by it's crew, also armed with '03 Springfields.

post-156-1172115036.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
craig johnson

58608055-M.jpg

58608026-M.jpg

58608040-M.jpg

58566202-M.jpg

75-MM M1A1 PACK HOWITZER AND T4?? CART

REGIMENT OF 800 FLEET MARINES FROM QUANTICO, TWO TROOPS OF CAVALRY FROM FORT MEYER, AND 600 CADETS FROM THE VIRGINIA MILITARY INSTITUTE RE-ENACTMENT OF THE BATTLE OF CHANCELLORSVILLE IN THE FREDRICKSBURG AND SPOTSYLVANIA NATIONAL MILITARY PARK.

THURSDAY, MAY 2 1935

ORIGINAL PHOTOS

Craig Johnson

Craig: I know that series well....I've got several pictures from the same seller...his dad was on the USS Salt lake! Great to see they found a good home...do you have any of the man's paperwork?

craig johnson

Dirk

I won this around 6 months ago. I bought them for the carts and the pack howitzer. I own a similar cart this is a 1943 T4E1 and I believe the carts in the picture are probably T4's

5297287-S.jpg

I was unaware that these were tied to any one person. The seller acted like they were the only items he had. I have about 24 pictures, 10 newspaper clippings, and the program for the event. There is also a typed out schedule for the RE-ENACTMENT.

The only names on the back of the photos are SGT M. B. Johnston. Do you need anymore info on the event?

Craig

Craig: Very neat cart thumbsup.gif ......as for the pictures last year a guy started selling off pictures his father took during his time in the Marines. Early in his career he was with the USS Salt Lake and later in Cuba, China, as well in participating in the event you have shown. I cant remember if these are the exact images but he offered manuver images from this event, news paper clippings and orders etc. He sold them via several lots...the marine's last name was Wood. Thats all I can remember but I though they were very nice pictures. If they are the same guy I have some additional info on the Marine for you (will PM if you need)...if not thanks for sharing these images. Dirk