WW-I Captain's Warrant

USMCRECON

Here are some pictures of a Captain's commission certificate dated just a couple days after the Armistice. As you can see, it's in the original frame with framer's sticker at bottom right. Obviously, none of the backing is acid-free. My question is, should I pull it out and re-mount it in an acid-free mounting or should I leave it as it is and hope it does not deteriourate any more? What appears to be some discoloration on center left of the certificate is actually the reflection of bending over to take the photo.

I'll follow this with as close-up of the framer's certicicate, and a photo of the officer, taken when he was a 2 LT.

post-1107-1202663159.jpg post-1107-1202663167.jpg

As indicated in the preceeding post; here's the framer's label and the photo of the officer as a 2LT. Since the frame that the photo was in (identical to the one for the commission) was falling apart and had the top part missing already, I had no choice but to reframe it.

post-1107-1202663646.jpg

post-1107-1202663651.jpg

Bill: Get it out of there....I'll give you the name of a local conservator (he did all the framing in the Pentagon years ago) who can ensure that this item is kept stable....if you don't want to throw that kind of bucks at it you can buy acid-free or archival matting at a Michaels craft store and do it your self...The stain may have been there a while and if water probably wont come off (cheaply). make sure you cut and save the original framers tag if you scrap the frame.... Dirk