• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,658
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have a lot of WW II aircraft nose art and I was sending these pictures to the 95th Bomb Group Association to add to their website and thought I would show them here also. I have had these for some time and they look like stateside photos. What is a Wewa?

Attached Images

• IMG.jpg

#2 GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas
  • Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have a lot of WW II aircraft nose art and I was sending these pictures to the 95th Bomb Group Association to add to their website and thought I would show them here also. I have had these for some time and they look like stateside photos. What is a Wewa?

Attached Images

• IMG_0001.jpg

#3 GeneralLucas

GeneralLucas
  • Members
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Attached Images

• IMG_0002.jpg

#4 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

I've never seen this one before. Does Bugs have a mustache ?

#5 MasonK

MasonK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 29,885
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Great photos! I saw the word "wewa" and thought Native American. Looked it up and it means Many Waters. The Many Waters Special? Guess that doesn't make much sense, though?

#6 Uncle T

Uncle T
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 164,206
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:05 PM

Mary Ruth was my grandmother. My granddad is the first officer on the left. "Wewa" is short for Wewahitchka, Florida (our home town-the name was thought to mean "water eyes", which makes sense if you look at a map of the area). It is 30 miles away from Tyndall Air Force Base, where my granddad was a flight instructor. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

#7 Uncle T

Uncle T
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 164,206
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:13 PM

The nose art above is a repaint. The original was a typical "pretty woman" and granddad didn't appreciate the comments from the crew!

#8 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 9,734 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:51 AM

Great information Uncle T. Thanks for providing insight to this aircraft. Yes, please post your other photos.

#9 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,329 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I agree. Great information. I would love to see more pictures as well! 

...Kat

#10 TyndallTB

TyndallTB
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 158,115
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

Mary Ruth was my grandmother. My granddad is the first officer on the left. "Wewa" is short for Wewahitchka, Florida (our home town-the name was thought to mean "water eyes", which makes sense if you look at a map of the area). It is 30 miles away from Tyndall Air Force Base, where my granddad was a flight instructor. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Awesome story, saw this pic somebody posted on Facebook and dug a little deeper,  Great Story.  The town of Wewa should do something with this story.  I don't remember, is there a town museum or anything?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users