Mary Ruth The Wewa Special

GeneralLucas

I have a lot of WW II aircraft nose art and I was sending these pictures to the 95th Bomb Group Association to add to their website and thought I would show them here also. I have had these for some time and they look like stateside photos. What is a Wewa?

post-1658-1347475052.jpg

I have a lot of WW II aircraft nose art and I was sending these pictures to the 95th Bomb Group Association to add to their website and thought I would show them here also. I have had these for some time and they look like stateside photos. What is a Wewa?

post-1658-1347475074.jpg

Great photos! I saw the word "wewa" and thought Native American. Looked it up and it means Many Waters. The Many Waters Special? Guess that doesn't make much sense, though?

• 4 years later...

Mary Ruth was my grandmother. My granddad is the first officer on the left. "Wewa" is short for Wewahitchka, Florida (our home town-the name was thought to mean "water eyes", which makes sense if you look at a map of the area). It is 30 miles away from Tyndall Air Force Base, where my granddad was a flight instructor. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

• 10 months later...

Mary Ruth was my grandmother. My granddad is the first officer on the left. "Wewa" is short for Wewahitchka, Florida (our home town-the name was thought to mean "water eyes", which makes sense if you look at a map of the area). It is 30 miles away from Tyndall Air Force Base, where my granddad was a flight instructor. I have more pictures if anyone is interested.

Awesome story, saw this pic somebody posted on Facebook and dug a little deeper, Great Story. The town of Wewa should do something with this story. I don't remember, is there a town museum or anything?