• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 skio

skio
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,041
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

Recently picked up a Inland M-1 Carbine and could use some advice. In looking over some of the parts, I found a H in a shield on the rear adjustable sight and AI marked on the bayonet lug barrel band. Front sight is marked N which I know is Natl Postal Meter. Anyone know what the H in the shield and AI stand for?

Barrel is Inland 10-43 and receiver is Inland ser. #994XXX. I am thinking this has been redone after the war with the mix of parts, bayonet lug band and overall exc cond of the finish. I am going to look for the book War Baby and get it. I understand it is an excellant book on the m-1.

Thanks in advance for any loight shed on those parts!

Steve

#2 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,890 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

The H in shield is Hemphill Co logo.Can be found on sites used late 1944 and later.I think you can find them on serial ranges for different carbines like Winchester, etc.I see that Inland used them as well from mid 1944 on trough end of production.

My list of serial numbers puts 999,999 at the Sept of 1943 time frame so your reciever and barrel are a bit earlier.I would say they are original to each other

Another good book is the one by JC Harrison,The M1 carbine

Edited by doyler, 11 September 2012 - 07:01 PM.

#3 oldfireguy

oldfireguy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,040
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

AI - Inland.

The H stamp on the sights were used on all carbines except Saginaw, IBM, and a small run of Rock-ola's.

N - Niedner Rifle Corp. Made front sights.

Edited by oldfireguy, 11 September 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#4 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,890 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

AI.....AUTOYRE INLAND bayonet lugs used on Inlands in serial ranges above 6 million(according to Harrison).Sounds like a nice aresenal rebuild.

#5 skio

skio
  • Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thank you gents for the ID on the markings. I am feeling a bit better now!

The N is located just behind the blade front sight.

Here are a few quick shots. Sorry for the bad lighting

carb001.jpg
carb002.jpg
carb003.jpg
carb004.jpg
carb005.jpg
carb006.jpg

Edited by skio, 11 September 2012 - 07:28 PM.

#6 rawhide45

rawhide45
  • Members
    • Member ID: 50,620
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Looks like a nice rebuild with a beautiful M2 stock. Does it have an arsenal stamp?

#7 thorin6

thorin6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,546
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

The N stamped front sight is correct for an Inland carbine.

#8 skio

skio
  • Members
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:33 PM

Looks like a nice rebuild with a beautiful M2 stock. Does it have an arsenal stamp?

I don't see any markings on the stock at all. What distinguishes it as an M-2 stock? I do have the book by Cole but be darn if I can find it. I even looked in the sling well for something but no dice. My next task is to break it down and see what marks are on the other parts.

Thanks for all the help with the parts everyone!

Steve

#9 doyler

doyler
  • Members
  • 33,890 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I don't see any markings on the stock at all. What distinguishes it as an M-2 stock? I do have the book by Cole but be darn if I can find it. I even looked in the sling well for something but no dice. My next task is to break it down and see what marks are on the other parts.

Steve

The slot on the left side of the reciever.Its for the lever to move from semi to full auto on an M2.

Sometimes the stocks had markings in the sling well

#10 rawhide45

rawhide45
  • Members
    • Member ID: 50,620
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Look under the hand guard. SA marked their rebuilds there.

#11 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

Steve

Your stock is a pot-belly stock... if you compare it to a normal early M1 Carbine stock you'll see the difference. However it is the slector switch cut out which is the dead give away. If you look at the picture of the top of the rifle, on the left side of the receiver as you look from butt to barrel, you will see a small cutout area in the stock up near the chamber just behind the rear of the upper handguard. This cut out was for the slelctor switch for semi and automatic fire. N is a correctly marked front sight for an inland.

Wayne

#12 alktrio06

alktrio06
  • Members
    • Member ID: 98,749
  • 470 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

FWIW, I got this book from Bruce Canfield and it is top notch! I just id'ed almost every part of my M1 Carbine.

http://www.amazon.co...=bruce canfield

#13 russell moore

russell moore
  • Members
    • Member ID: 41,537
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

Looks like a good rebulit carbine
that rear sight looks like a type 2 milled rear sight which I think it the better of the adjustable sights
it is not correct fot that serial range but most were replaced and staked in during rebuilds after WWII
H in a shield was not used for Inland you can leave it or replace it with one marked PI or HI

Thes stock is def a M2

The type 3 barrel band with bayonet lug is for a later Inland (AI is the mark for Inland) carbine but like the sight most were rebuilt using them

It has a flat bolt which is correct for that serial ranger if it is marked for Inland you will be good

the op slide is an earlier one also so it could be correct for that gun also

the mag catch and safety are both late WWII maybe post war but Inland did make both so would look at those also for markings

N on the front sight is correct for Inland

The really good thing about Inland carbines is the parts are easy to find because Inland made the most

As for books JC Harrison's book is good but it has some bad information in it
Ruth's War Baby is a good book
The one I use the most is U.S. M1 Carbine Wartime Production 6th Edition Book by Craig Riesch
good break down of parts and changes in parts at serial numbers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users