p1160031.jpg
p1160113.jpg

#102 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

This image is a great illustration, Saipan, June 1944. Once the Beach Party comes ashore a temporary aid processing station is established. Wounds dressed and patients stabilized, they would be loaded on amphibious craft to hospital ships anchored off shore. Various litters can be observed to include the cage Stokes type. The 14-280 bags and units that include trunks are unpacked and set up. The litters are probably on the wooden unit trunks.

Wounded_US_Soldiers_Saipan_Beach_June_1944c.jpg

#103 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:29 AM

One stretcher appears to have the bulk of contents spread out for easy oreination, patients are being processed in the back ground, a work station is more of an accurate desciption here. The fiber trunk from a 14-280 bag.

Wounded_US_Soldiers_Saipan_Beach_June_1944cc.jpg

One tin from the Unit-7 can be observed as well. Plasma units that make up one unit and contained in a 14-280 ca be seen on the right.

Wounded_US_Soldiers_Saipan_Beach_June_1944ccc.jpg

#104 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 24 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

Cetainly, in the post war era many trunks survived since they were useable items that could serve many purposes. Here is a Naval stock warehouse.

trunksc.jpg

#105 29navy

29navy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 913
  • 440 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Hey Dustin,

Regarding the pictures you posted of the various Field medical kits (Messages 61 and up), where did you get those?  The look like they should be from the National Archives but I can not find them in the photo section card catalog.  Can you share some photo numbers, or box numbers or categories they would be under?  I've searched and came up with nothing.  Unless they are down in the textual section on the second floor.

Thanks.

Charlie

#106 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 06:42 PM

Hey Dustin,

Regarding the pictures you posted of the various Field medical kits (Messages 61 and up), where did you get those?  The look like they should be from the National Archives but I can not find them in the photo section card catalog.  Can you share some photo numbers, or box numbers or categories they would be under?  I've searched and came up with nothing.  Unless they are down in the textual section on the second floor.

Thanks.

Charlie

Gosh, that was three years ago, how time flies !. I do not keep extensive records exactly where I find stuff, at any one visit I could be digging in half a dozen record groups, dozens of entries within each record group and ultimately has no relevance to me to keep pull-slips. When I find a "honey-hole", I exhaust it from Box-1 till its dead, never looking back.

The images do not have serial numbers, in fact they are copies, I remember that. The photo paper is modern I do remember, where the originals are at I have no idea. It appears that copies were made then donated to NARA. The only other detail I recall is that they were in Still Pictures running across then randomly, and once again I make a digital copy. I keep digital copies in quadruplicate, two hard drives (lap-top, primary PC) thumb drive, and terabyte storage pack so with that safety system I'd never have to go back. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

#107 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

These imgaes are from field stations that have unit chests in the back ground.

med.jpg

#108 dustin

dustin
  • Members
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:51 AM

.med 2.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users