The USN Hospital Corps pouch vs the 14-280

robinb

Well Dustin, you did a quite remarkable data collection ... thanks for all this very valuable listings and photos, a wealth of information for any MD-USN collector B)

E

Well E your probably only one of a handful full of people that appreciate what your looking at. The only thing really missing now is a picture with the components of the corpsman bags 3-555 and 3-560. Here is something interesting and funny, when I first posted this parachutist bag with components only one person asked for a high resolution copy to study what the components are. To my knowledge it is the only WWII source of what actually goes in the kit, there is simply little to no interest in navy medical equipment.

post-56-0-05129100-1437476862.jpg

Well E your probably only one of a handful full of people that appreciate what your looking at. The only thing really missing now is a picture with the components of the corpsman bags 3-555 and 3-560. Here is something interesting and funny, when I first posted this parachutist bag with components only one person asked for a high resolution copy to study what the components are. To my knowledge it is the only WWII source of what actually goes in the kit, there is simply little to no interest in navy medical equipment.

Dustin, even if there's only a few people to appreciate, thanks again for providing us some much feed for thought !

I saved all the photos on my computer, so I can read and work on the listings when I'm in the train (I travel much for work).

Your informations helped me to gather many small USN medical items but I am in the hunt for many others ... patience and dedication will work, I hope, not so easy when out of the US.

Regards, E

I have 7 of these bags now. There is not much consistency between them. Different buckles, width of shoulder straps, color, materials. and even the size varies from bag to bag.

I agree talking with other collectors and the ones I've seen in person they all appear different in minor details.

Thank you for the photo references, that will be especially helpful in purchasing items top fill the case.

LF

Hello,

how did I miss this update ! Thank you very much for the pictures.

Where are they coming from ?

Max

BILL THE PATCH

Very informative thread, at least on my travels I might find something now that I know a little about these medic kits. Not my field of collecting, but I love to read and gather knowledge.

Dustin just got back from a visit to the National Archives. I asked him to keep an eye out for more pictures of the Corpsman kits. Looks like he hit pay dirt!

• 11 months later...

I recently came across a second example of these packs, so I thought it would be worth adding them to this thread. It's interesting to note the differences in manufacture, while still accomplishing the same purpose. The pack made of darker material seems to have been treated with something (or just spent most of it's life in a grungy garage) and has shrunk slightly, so the fiber suitcases are a tight fit but can be removed with slight effort. In the untreated lighter pack, the suitcase can be removed without hassle.

post-112103-0-06663000-1468855896.jpg post-112103-0-19722800-1468855925.jpg

Here's the pack on the right. The 14-030 / Unit 5-B suitcase fits like a glove:

post-112103-0-45335700-1468856320.jpg

• 1 year later...

This is an attempt to get a closer look at the items.

post-56-0-04656400-1510447790.jpg

Another

post-56-0-06563700-1510447828.jpg

Another, Id be certain if we could see the other side of the jackknife it would have the shield stamped MD-USN

post-56-0-26292700-1510447860_thumb.jpg

Another

post-56-0-62343700-1510447934.jpg

• 7 months later...

This image is a great illustration, Saipan, June 1944. Once the Beach Party comes ashore a temporary aid processing station is established. Wounds dressed and patients stabilized, they would be loaded on amphibious craft to hospital ships anchored off shore. Various litters can be observed to include the cage Stokes type. The 14-280 bags and units that include trunks are unpacked and set up. The litters are probably on the wooden unit trunks.

post-56-0-76384400-1529861210.jpg

One stretcher appears to have the bulk of contents spread out for easy oreination, patients are being processed in the back ground, a work station is more of an accurate desciption here. The fiber trunk from a 14-280 bag.

post-56-0-61235300-1529861303.jpg

One tin from the Unit-7 can be observed as well. Plasma units that make up one unit and contained in a 14-280 ca be seen on the right.

post-56-0-49683400-1529861346.jpg

Cetainly, in the post war era many trunks survived since they were useable items that could serve many purposes. Here is a Naval stock warehouse.

post-56-0-51407300-1529861721.jpg

Hey Dustin,

Regarding the pictures you posted of the various Field medical kits (Messages 61 and up), where did you get those? The look like they should be from the National Archives but I can not find them in the photo section card catalog. Can you share some photo numbers, or box numbers or categories they would be under? I've searched and came up with nothing. Unless they are down in the textual section on the second floor.

Thanks.

Charlie

Hey Dustin,

Regarding the pictures you posted of the various Field medical kits (Messages 61 and up), where did you get those? The look like they should be from the National Archives but I can not find them in the photo section card catalog. Can you share some photo numbers, or box numbers or categories they would be under? I've searched and came up with nothing. Unless they are down in the textual section on the second floor.

Thanks.

Charlie

Gosh, that was three years ago, how time flies !. I do not keep extensive records exactly where I find stuff, at any one visit I could be digging in half a dozen record groups, dozens of entries within each record group and ultimately has no relevance to me to keep pull-slips. When I find a "honey-hole", I exhaust it from Box-1 till its dead, never looking back.

The images do not have serial numbers, in fact they are copies, I remember that. The photo paper is modern I do remember, where the originals are at I have no idea. It appears that copies were made then donated to NARA. The only other detail I recall is that they were in Still Pictures running across then randomly, and once again I make a digital copy. I keep digital copies in quadruplicate, two hard drives (lap-top, primary PC) thumb drive, and terabyte storage pack so with that safety system I'd never have to go back. Sorry I cannot be more specific.

• 4 months later...

Unit #7 bag found today. The markings are very faint but read Unit 7 Combat Dressings. Interesting 3 tone color scheme. And it has 3 rivets on the bottom. A feature that none of my other bags have.

MVC-054S.JPG

MVC-056S.JPG

• 3 years later...

Howdy,

would ou classify this corpsman medic shoulder bag as small or large as it pertains to the content tables?  It is 12" Length, 2.5" wide and 9.5" deep...thank you

corpsman bag.jpg

corpsman bag1.jpg

corpsman bag2.jpg