The USN Hospital Corps pouch vs the 14-280

robinb

I have been seeing these USN Hospital Corps pouches being refered to the 14-280 pouch. I'm not so sure that's the correct designation.

hc_pouch.JPG

Several of the 14-280 packs are supposed to carry this fiber suitcase. This particular suitcase has been repainted, but close inspection reveals the original green bands and red crosses.

fibre_case_1.JPG

fibre_case_2.JPG

No one has anything to add? So just because it's in a book, it has to be true. I guess I'll just keep my research to myself and stick to reading posts about "rare" or "rigger modified" canteen covers that have leather loops added to the back. That seems to be what gets all of the attention. Or maybe how about "I wonder how many CRS mess kits were made in April 1944?" Like that really means anything.

Your investigation is only half done. So what is the correct part number for the small Hospital Corps bags and their inventories? Maybe everyone is waiting for the final chapter of the book.

Very interesting items. I agree with Craig. This is an outstanding group! Thanks for the investigation.

For the pouches in the first picture, what is the difference between the OD green and the tan pouch? Do they both have the strap? Is the OD green one just tucked under in the picture? If the numbers are incorrect for them, have you had a change to figure out yet what is the correct number scheme?

Thanks, Kat

Very interesting items. I agree with Craig. This is an outstanding group! Thanks for the investigation.

For the pouches in the first picture, what is the difference between the OD green and the tan pouch? Do they both have the strap? Is the OD green one just tucked under in the picture? If the numbers are incorrect for them, have you had a change to figure out yet what is the correct number scheme?

Thanks, Kat

Ahh, someone is listening after all. The two 14-### bags in the first picture are just differnet sizes that's all. Otherwise they are exaclty the same.

All 5 of my 14-280 bags are similar in construction, but vary in minor details only. The dark OD one is slightly larger than the rest. It's also the only one that those tin cans of bandages will fit.

My good friend and fellow researcher, Dustin, called tonight to tell me that he's found the correct stock number for the Hospital Corps Pouch, Small, and the prescribed list of contents. Plus a lot more info that's going to rock the world of Navy medical collectors. Once I get a hard copy in my hands, I'll start sharing. After all, that's what this forum is all about, right?

Very intresting and much appreciated Robin.Great info as Im not well versed in the bag variations.Not something we see here very often in the cornfields :thumbsup:

With your forth coming information I hope this can be a pinned topic.

This is very interesting stuff. Make a good case. I have never come across the type of bag you have shown with the different supplies.

I think that may be because they are not pictured in any books.

I think that may be because they are not pictured in any books.

I don't know, I pick up anything at flea markets, gun shows, yard sales and estates sales that even remotely looks like WWII field gear. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Very interesting topic !

There is a famous pic of a 14-280 pack being used on Utah by medic right on the beach (I think I saw it is spearhead d-day) and to be honest, I have never been lucky enough to pick one of these !! :crying:

Max

• 4 weeks later...

I really appreciate the search for information that took place here. Too bad all the focus these days is on Airborne and USMC field gear. here is a very rare, important part of equipment that is often over looked. Great work preserving history Robin. I am also glad I got to look those bad boys over in person!

I recently aquired a little more paperwork concerning Navy medic kits, but it's pretty much just a repeat of the information that I already posted. No mention of the Hospital Corps Pouch, Small. The paperwork is from August 1944.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are a few pages from the August 1944 manual List of Combat Equipment for APA Vessels. This is what medical supplies were supposed to be on board any APA ship for Beach Parties, Landing Personnel and Boat Salvage during combat operations.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG