Pfc. Malick F Co. 475th Inf. PH Recipient

manayunkman

475th distinctive insignia. Size comparison.

I have never seen any like this especially misspelled.

post-51189-1346451609.jpg

Ian,

I never took notice before until you wrote it but it is written in the possessive.

As in belonging to Marr.

This patch is Marr's not mine.

WHO WAS MARR ? :huh::D

Ian,

I never took notice before until you wrote it but it is written in the possessive.

As in belonging to Marr.

Pakistanis are notoriously bad spellers Manay! ;)

Ian,

As in belonging to Marr.

Has it's origin in the Mars Task Force:

The official designation of the Marauders was “5307th Composite Unit (Provisional).” Its army code name was GALAHAD. The name “Merrill’s Marauders” was coined by a newsman. The name stuck, despite the fact that Brigadier General Frank Merrill was only in charge of the unit for very short periods (he had a number of heart attacks, and had to be evacuated), and was never in combat with the men. His deputy, Colonel Charles N. Hunter, was the man actually in charge throughout the crucial stages of the Marauder campaign. In any case, during the battle for Myitkyina, the original Marauders came to be called “Old Galahad,” and the replacements “New Galahad.”

After Myitkyina was captured, the Combat Engineers went back to work on the Ledo Road, while everyone else moved north, about ten miles, into a campsite on the west bank of the Irrawaddy River, named Camp Landis in honor of the first Marauder killed in Burma. Most of the Old Galahad men were sent home. The New Galahad survivors were assigned to the newly created 475th Infantry Regiment (Long Range Penetration Regiment, Special), which became part of the also newly formed 5332nd Brigade (Provisional), dubbed the Mars Task Force.

More here:

http://www.americanveteranscenter.org/wwii...cron=1346596539

• 2 weeks later...
The back.

It's odd that his discharge does not list the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal. It also doesn't list the WWII Victory Medal but that may not have even been created before he was discharged.

**Sorry. After I posted this, I saw that the A-P Campaign medal is listed in the supplemental section at the bottom of the discharge.

Wow M.....missed this one for a week or so but glad I got to see it now! Those patches, and especially the DI's, are amazing. Another great group for us to view from your awesome collection. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Been involved with a veteran of the 475th before he died, and now his nephew. I have been attempting to locate the key to open the avenue for such veterans receive recognition due.

The veteran was denied the Bronze Star Medal [with] the Combat infantryman badge in 2005 based on his MOS as a dog handler. According to guidelines the requirement for MOS of an infantryman was not until after WWII.

His testimony reveals his was under artillery and samll arms fire as well as hand to hand combat in one instance.

Such action meets circumstances listed in War Department Circulars 269, amended by 105 in 1943 and 1944. There are also WDC's 186 and 408 dated 1944. They do not list the MOS requirement.

The 124th Cavalry Regiment fought with the 475th Infantry Regiment. Members of both units are recipients of the CIB. Obviously, members of a cavalry unit do not possess the MOS of an infantryman.

Robert