406 replies to this topic

#401 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 07:34 PM

Dustin & Owen - the fact that this image comes from NARA, and was featured in a magazine article at some point in the past are not mutually-exclusive.  It absolutely adds to the conversation here, and nobody is concerned or offended.  Very interesting to see them sorted by specification!  

#402 kammo-man

kammo-man
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,009
  • 12,808 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:07 PM

Agreed 100%.

When I first seen the picture in 1995 I asked myself how many of those jackets survived.

I just bought the SUIT UP magazine in a Japanese bookshop in London beside ST PAULS Cathedral and brought it with excitement and read it cover to cover on the steps of the cathedral that afternoon.

I was working in the City for Reuters and my boss called me up and made me shift into gear and get down to 85 fleet ST ASAP.

Funny bought in a Japanese  book shop on land bombed by the Luftwaffe. 

Business first as they say.  

Always loved the picture.

owen

#403 jerry_k

jerry_k
  • Members
    • Member ID: 369
  • 1,947 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 12:10 AM

That's a picture of my closet :)

hahah you wish :) !

#404 mch979

mch979
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 158,165
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 03:24 AM

Kurt I am not so sure, the collar matches the smaller size of the M422 (from memory the M422 has smaller collar then the M422A as this jacket does 2 1/2 I believe?) the pockets on the M422 are different sizes ( I believe the left hand pocket) then the M422A as this jacket has, I believe the M422A has a wide left pocket with pencil hole? This Jacket has a narrower left pocket then all of the M422A jackets I have.
The 422 is strong on the tag no appearance evidence of missing A.

I could be wrong but I believe this is a M422 not a M422A

Your jacket is most definitely an M 422...   Look at the back of the collar....there are NO 7 horizontal lines of stitching, as required by the M422a, and the contract number is an M422 contract.  It is an M422, no question.  If you read the original specification book for the M422 and the M422a, you see two major differences between the two specs, are the collar stand (7lines of horizontal stitching) required on the M422a, and the sleeve lengths are lengthened 1" for all jacket sizes in the M422a.   

#405 Maverickson

Maverickson
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,553
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 03:20 AM

Your jacket is most definitely an M 422...   Look at the back of the collar....there are NO 7 horizontal lines of stitching, as required by the M422a, and the contract number is an M422 contract.  It is an M422, no question.  If you read the original specification book for the M422 and the M422a, you see two major differences between the two specs, are the collar stand (7lines of horizontal stitching) required on the M422a, and the sleeve lengths are lengthened 1" for all jacket sizes in the M422a.   

You brought up some good points on the differences between the M-422 and M-422A model jackets. However from those three know M-422 makers  (Monarch, Switlik and W&G)  only the W&G jackets were required to receive that added sleeve length with the advent of the M-422A.

Needless to say, both Monarch and Switlik M-422 jackets came equipped with normal length sleeves from the get go !

Cheers, Dave. 

Edited by Maverickson, 30 January 2020 - 03:21 AM.

#406 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Found this great thread recently. Here is my combat-flown Gordan & Fereguson M-422A which was given to me many years ago by the Marine Corps aviator vet who was a friend in the Marine Corps League. He flew the Corsair in VMF-224 in combat in the Marshalls and at Okinawa. 1 Zero kill recorded.

The first pic is the jacket followed by the well worn label, (sz 38), his very faded and worn original brown name tag and the USN collar stamp. The final pic is the jacket with his original squadron patch laid on, It was never sewn on. Enjoy! Semper Fi! Bobgee

Attached Images

• BRISTOW 2.jpg
  • BRISTOW 1A.jpg
  • BRISTOW 1.jpg
  • BRISTOW 4.jpg
  • BRISTOW LABEL.jpg

Edited by bobgee, 12 February 2020 - 09:38 AM.

#407 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,517 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

Found this great thread recently. Here is my combat-flown Gordan & Fereguson M-422A which was given to me many years ago by the Marine Corps aviator vet who was a friend in the Marine Corps League. He flew the Corsair in VMF-224 in combat in the Marshalls and at Okinawa. 1 Zero kill recorded.

The first pic is the jacket followed by the well worn label, (sz 38), his very faded and worn original brown name tag and the USN collar stamp. The final pic is the jacket with his original squadron patch laid on, It was never sewn on. Enjoy! Semper Fi! Bobgee

Nice jacket Bob!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users