• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#76 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:16 PM

Most of the incidents named in the last two posts mention situations that a chain of command probably wouldn't want to get out there. Other soliders going bonkers and having to be restrained by your own people? Pulling local civilians out of your minefields? Mulcahy doing the emergency trachea surgery in the field when he wasn't supposed to be there in the first place?

Hawkeye had to repel out of a chopper once, dressed as Santa, under fire, to work on someone in a foxhole. Most higher commands would see his record for insubordination and decide they wouldn't want to give a medal to someone like that regardless of the awesome job he'd done.

No, I don't any chain of command giving medals for most of that stuff.

I've seen way too much of this, "It wouldn't look good to the next echelon if I put this in for a medal" thinking in the Army personally.

#77 knd643

knd643
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,203
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

I've been watching the series on Netflix and I just got to the 4th season and it has a different feel now after Col. Blake and Trapper left.

#78 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

I've been watching the series on Netflix and I just got to the 4th season and it has a different feel now after Col. Blake and Trapper left.

No doubt. The series lost a lot of its original spirit after the end of the 3rd season.

The later additions of Potter and Winchester were, after a while, the turning point in how deep the show got with its characters. I would pose that Winchester was far and clear the deepest character on the show, as he started out as a stuffy, 'full of himself' character but evolved into possibly the most relateable to all the characters on the show in that he represented an innocense lost in many ways, even more so than Radar in that we saw the progression from the first day he arrived at the 4077th.

But even if Trapper and Henry had stayed around as characters, I think this progression would have happened anyway within another season at the latest.

#79 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 9,737 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

I think you see a transition as Alan Alda gained greater control over the series.

#80 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:43 AM

I think you see a transition as Alan Alda gained greater control over the series.

Which is funny in a way, because the BJ character was written as more of an 'equal' to Hawkeye and wasn't as much second fiddile as Trapper was written.

That is especially ironic because that's why Wayne Rogers left the show, only to have the replacement character become exactly what Rogers had wanted all along for Trapper John...

#81 fstop61

fstop61
  • Members
    • Member ID: 35,406
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

On another MASH subject, I always found it interesting how Radar/ Gary Burghoff did his best to hide his left hand with whatever prop he had. Burghoff was born with a congenital defect involving several fingers of that hand. Despite the hand, he was a very accomplished drummer.  Good for him!

#82 fstop61

fstop61
  • Members
    • Member ID: 35,406
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:29 PM

I guess while we're ......err,  I'm on the subject of Radar, Gary Burghoff made television history on November 17, 1973 (season 2/ episode 10 "The Sniper") as the first male actor in a prime time show to feature his bare behind.

radar nude.jpg

Edited by fstop61, 07 April 2015 - 04:29 PM.

#83 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 21,089 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

Time For A Little Revival.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tumblr_nejmv9YZ711rbe98co1_500.png

#84 rmoore456

rmoore456
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,034
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

A few years ago, I found myself in Normal, Illinois (yes, it's a real town) where Henry's home was always mentioned in the town of Bloomington which is right next to Normal. Oddly, Illinois State University is in that town but the character apparently went to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign instead. Odd. He once described his wife Lorraine as a former "Succotash Queen at Illinois Normal" which means they grew up very close to each other.
Yeah, I know, it's all fiction but it seemed strange to be there, having heard the name for so many years on the show. I almost expected some manner of recognition to the character but never found any there.

I was rereading this thread and thought I would comment on this.

I live in Normal and there is currently no such thing as a Succotash Festival, Sweetcorn yes. There is no queen, sorry. There may have been in the past, a lot of the hometown references are based on truths. Illinois State University is a teaching school and has a school of nursing. The U of I has a medical school that would be why he went there.

Ray

#85 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,089 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Oh my, I just now seen that Wayne Rodgers passed away back there in Jan 1 2016 (other date has Dec 31 2015) at 82, this is something that went right under the radar wish I would of known earlier.

He was also as you'll see a officer in the Navy.

http://www.encyclope.../article/h-3233

Good Bye Trapper.

160101-news-wayne-rogers.jpg

#86 phantomfixer

phantomfixer
  • Members
    • Member ID: 155,518
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 05:06 AM

One of the MASH jeeps used in the series..a CJ-2A or 3A...was signed by Mike Farrell..sold at auction, and is now in Eastern PA...still had mud on it from the set...

guy in the seat is not me... 

Attached Images

• MASH JEEP #1.jpg

#87 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,089 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:40 AM

And now William Christopher departs stage left.

Got a favorite Father Mulcahy Quote?

I like this one

"The meek may inherit the Earth, but it's the grumpy that get promoted"

post-34986-0-51843100-1483377706.jpg

https://en.wikipedia...iam_Christopher

#88 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,089 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

We lost Major Winchester the other day.

https://en.wikipedia...id_Ogden_Stiers

#89 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 21,089 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 07:24 PM

One of my all time favorite Major Winchester rants :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Know this!!! You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, BUT you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer!"

post-34986-0-05966300-1411611611.jpg

#90 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
  • 4,130 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

Man, the cast members have been passing away at a frightening rate recently.

We lost Major Winchester the other day.

https://en.wikipedia...id_Ogden_Stiers

I didn't know that until I read this above.
I wish I'd known he'd been directing orchestras in Oregon and Washington, I would have gone to see that if I'd known this at the time. I had no clue he'd been living on the Oregon coast.

#91 sapper23

sapper23
  • Members
    • Member ID: 12,142
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:31 PM

Great TV show, Henry's was wounded when the CIA propaganda bomb landed in the compound. He had a bandage on his head. Col Potter said his purple heart was from WW2 when his own still exploded. Radar recieved his PH for a shoulder wound when Hawkeye sent him to Seoul.
I was stationed at Camp Red Cloud in Wishombu.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users