MASH

patches

I always get a kick out of him, you know he was awarded Two Purple Hearts :w00t:

Twice Burns is awarded the Purple heart medal-once for throwing his back out while dancing with Major Houlihan and once for getting an egg shell fragment in his eye. :lol:

post-34986-1346269783.jpg

"Frank Burns eats worms!"

I always laugh at that line. I think Hawkeye taught some Korean kids to shout that out as Frank entered the tent. :lol:

Terry

As a matter of interest, back in the 50s, actor Larry Linville won a scholarship to study at the prestigious Royal Acadamy of Dramatic Arts (RADA) here in the UK, one of very few Americans to be accorded this honour.

Fixbayonets!

I always wondered how he got the egg shell fragment wound to his eye because they always ate powdered eggs. A classic character & a great show!

Rob

Frank Burns (the character) was from my hometown of Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne can also boast having Fawn Liebowitz (Animal House) killed in a kiln explosion and Colonel George Taylor (Planet of the Apes) played by Charlton Heston.

Frank was a true classic!

"What say ya, Ferret face?" :lol:

I always felt bad for the actor because nobody could see him as anything else afterward. He made it clear he left MASH because Frank Burns had been turned into someone to feel sorry for (especially after Houlihan cruely dropped him to get married). Into the 3nd to 4rd seasons you realized he wasn't just a cartoon character and could understand why he was the way he was but it made it less fun to laugh at. I agreed with the actor leaving in that he'd done everything he could with Frank Burns.

On the set, the man reportedly was a very nice person who the rest of the cast got along with very well. But like many actors he had personal issues, he was married several times and was also hard drinker and smoker. That caught up with him and he died badly from cancer several years ago.

Frank Burns (the character) was from my hometown of Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne can also boast having Fawn Liebowitz (Animal House) killed in a kiln explosion and Colonel George Taylor (Planet of the Apes) played by Charlton Heston.

Frank was a true classic!

There actually was a Frank Brynes that was a doctor in Ft Wayne a few years ago . He was a pulmonologist though. Not certain what ever happened to him. He didn't like to be compared to the TV one/ There also a real George Taylor that is a dentist in Ft Wayne also.

There actually was a Frank Brynes that was a doctor in Ft Wayne a few years ago . He was a pulmonologist though. Not certain what ever happened to him. He didn't like to be compared to the TV one/ There also a real George Taylor that is a dentist in Ft Wayne also.

IT"S A MAD HOUSE...... A MAD HOUSE!

post-34986-1346720879.jpg

I always get a kick out of him, you know he was awarded Two Purple Hearts :w00t:

Twice Burns is awarded the Purple heart medal-once for throwing his back out while dancing with Major Houlihan and once for getting an egg shell fragment in his eye. :lol:

Lt. Col. Henry Blake also wore a Purple Heart ribbon although it is not clear when he would have received it and I don't remember it ever being mentioned how he got it. He always wore a WWII Army Of Occupation ribbon but no WWII Victory Medal ribbon so I'm not sure if his character was supposed to have served in WWII or been drafted after the war and maybe served in Japan or Korea before the Korean War broke out. Not that the uniforms were 100% authentic anyway. The characters all wore the National Defense Service ribbon even though it wasn't created until 1954 after the war ended.

Of course Henry would have received a posthumous Purple Heart for being killed in action when his plane was shot down.

post-1761-1347380227.gif

I never understood how the non-military haircuts were overlooked in many of the great WWII movies. Many of the classics made in the 1960s are guilty of this historical inaccuracy. The two that bother me the most are Where Eagles Dare and The Great Escape.

I never understood how the non-military haircuts were overlooked in many of the great WWII movies. Many of the classics made in the 1960s are guilty of this historical inaccuracy. The two that bother me the most are Where Eagles Dare and The Great Escape.

The Great Escape wasn,t that bad at all, Where Eagles Dare? :lol: all you have to do is look at Clint Eastwood in Kelly's Heroes and see he wore his hair longish in that too. In WWII what one has to remember is that American servicemen did have full heads of hair, seldom were they wearing Crewcuts, or close croped burr head styles, the shaved head in the Military is a more contempory fashion, like in my day in the early 80s in the Army, the word was NO ONE could shave their head bald, now? it is a fashion, and is done alot, not only in the Military, and Law Enforcement but also by civilian men, like in Law enforcement sometimes the way I see it, they look like the Very criminals they arrest, the prison shaved head set :lol:

I thought the mini series Pacific, did a very accurate job in the hair styles of the Marines, in WWII Marines after Boot Camp did not really wear their hair in Whitewalls or Crewcuts, they wore it full, thats why combs were a normal part of a American servicemans personal property, heck even the Army had U.S. ARMY marked issue hair combs, probably the Navy too.

The Great Escape wasn,t that bad at all, Where Eagles Dare? :lol: all you have to do is look at Clint Eastwood in Kelly's Heroes and see he wore his hair longish in that too. In WWII what one has to remember is that American servicemen did have full heads of hair, seldom were they wearing Crewcuts, or close croped burr head styles, the shaved head in the Military is a more contempory fashion, like in my day in the early 80s in the Army, the word was NO ONE could shave their head bald, now? it is a fashion, and is done alot, not only in the Military, and Law Enforcement but also by civilian men, like in Law enforcement sometimes the way I see it, they look like the Very criminals they arrest, the prison shaved head set :lol:

I thought the mini series Pacific, did a very accurate job in the hair styles of the Marines, in WWII Marines after Boot Camp did not really wear their hair in Whitewalls or Crewcuts, they wore it full, thats why combs were a normal part of a American servicemans personal property, heck even the Army had U.S. ARMY marked issue hair combs, probably the Navy too.

As an addendum to the above, you have to stop and think that the foot soldier was in the "combat" in the field for months on end and rarely had the oportunity to even think about a hair cut let alone be anywhere they could get one, so I think this might be part of the reason for the longer hair in some movies, also you have to remember these films were done by "hollywierd" they really didn't pay much attention to reality/regs of the "real " military, they were just making pictures with hopes of making $$$$$$$ and not worried about the idiosyncrasies of "details" ..................................

I have seen many a movie that not only were the hair cuts wrong , but lots of things with uniforms being wrong, enlisted US collar pins on "Officiers" uniforms, wing or medals on the wrong side of the dress uniform, ,aircraft in flight that one minute is a B-17 and the next a B-24 , goofy stuff like that that you would think they would catch but missed, that shows a lot of times they couldn't have had a very good research team on the making of the film , so it's just part of what goes with making movies.

Yet again another of those "enlistment" bootcamp" shots, they all got the buzzcut , especially in WW 2 , but this was usually only during that time , once out into line units and combat, it was and if/when and not till then about getting 'regualtion" haircuts and I'm sure many time they still didn't really follow the 'reg" all the time unless thye were reprimanded by a higher up for it !

In The Great Escape, James Garner's hair style reminds me of Dean Martin when he performed at the Sands in the late 1960's. Clint sports sideburns in Where Eagles Dare that remind me of my old Yaz baseball cards. A little effort to make it right would have been nice.

As an addendum to the above, you have to stop and think that the foot soldier was in the "combat" in the field for months on end and rarely had the oportunity to even think about a hair cut let alone be anywhere they could get one

I don't want to highjack the thread, but I think this is an interesting shot. Vietnamese barber - 1968,

post-1761-1347915369.jpg

Tommymonkey192
I have seen many a movie that not only were the hair cuts wrong , but lots of things with uniforms being wrong, enlisted US collar pins on "Officiers" uniforms, wing or medals on the wrong side of the dress uniform, ,aircraft in flight that one minute is a B-17 and the next a B-24 , goofy stuff like that that you would think they would catch but missed, that shows a lot of times they couldn't have had a very good research team on the making of the film , so it's just part of what goes with making movies.

Here's how Commander Straker (Ed Bishop) first appears in UFO. Note the incorrectly worn Missile Badge.

Straker.jpg

As an addendum to the above, you have to stop and think that the foot soldier was in the "combat" in the field for months on end and rarely had the oportunity to even think about a hair cut let alone be anywhere they could get one, so I think this might be part of the reason for the longer hair in some movies, also you have to remember these films were done by "hollywierd" they really didn't pay much attention to reality/regs of the "real " military, they were just making pictures with hopes of making $$$$$$$ and not worried about the idiosyncrasies of "details" ..................................

The in combat with no time to cut the hair is true to a certain extent, but it will be a case of no one really having crew cuts, because it wasn't a fashion really, you say even in the 50s through the 70s really. Did some men have crew cuts or high and tights in those days? sure.... especially in the 50s to mid 60, but in the main most serviceman had hair they could run a comb through. One thing about the some of the actors by the 60s was that while far superior in many respects in my estimation, where less inclined to go the full measure in getting a military looking hair cut, not only that, the directors and producers as we have seen, apparently didn't care one way or another.

Heard today is the 40th anniversary of the Series M*A*S*H and still running repeats.

I actualy would like to get the entire series box DVD set, I will one day :)

Manchu Warrior

I was stationed in Korea when the last MASH unit was deactivated. And the 8th Army invited Larry Linville (Frank Burns) and the gentleman who played his replacement Maj. Winchester and also the gentleman who created the show MASH to Korea for the ceremony. While the actors were in Korea they came out to the range and ate lunch with us, MREs and they enjoyed them. We then drove them around in our Bradley's and they were even aloud to squeeze off a few rounds on the 25MM Bushmaster. The photo is of myself with Larry and the soldier that Larry has his hand on was my gunner on my track. The memorial in my signature is to him.

post-1412-1348257343.jpg