Named WWII USMCR Officer's Khaki Uniform Grouping

mndoss

I recently received this WWII USMCR Khaki uniform grouping from 1stLt August Guilbert. It's a pretty nice grouping, there are only a few pin sized holes, mostly on the back of the jacket. The grouping consists of his jacket, shirt, trousers and overseas cap. The jacket is named to him. I had to replace the collar EGAs on the jacket because when I received it they were enlisted EGAs. I also added 1stLt bars to the shirt as there were none however there were markings where they used to be. The grouping came with a letter (pictured below) stating he was medically retired as a result of being WIA. The seller I got it from stated that he was a fighter pilot. I mailed out a request to NPRC for his military records. It'll be interesting to get more research, especially how he was wounded! If I get a copy of his DD214 I'll restore his uniform with whatever medals, wings, etc. he rated. For now though I'm going to hold off on doing that until I can get confirmation on what he rated. For those that have requested records from the NPRC, about what's the average time it's taken you to receive a response? I've read it's usually a few months. I sent a request in for three other names for uniforms I have on July 5 of this year and haven't heard anything back, though I figure it's still a little too soon for that.

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Name: August Guilbert

Muster Date: Apr 1943

Enlistment Date: 15 Dec 1942

Station: Eighth Recruit Battalion, Recruit Depot, Marine Barracks, Parris Island, S C

Muster Date: Jan 1943

Station: Platoon Leaders Unit, 12Th Reserve District, Mbny, Many, Mare Island, California.

Muster Date: Jan 1944

Station: Guard Company, Marine Barracks, Naval Air Training Center, Pensacola, Fla

Muster Date: Apr 1944

Station: 3D Bn, 28Th Mar, 5Th Mar Div, Fmf, Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Calif.

NO RECORDS TO BE FOUND BETWEEN APR 44 - APR 45 WHEN APPEARS IN HOSPITAL

Muster Date: Apr 1945

Station: Casual Company Number One, Marine Detachment, U S Naval Hospital, Oakland, California

Muster Date: Jan 1946

Station: Casco#1, Marine Detachment, U. S. Naval Hospital, Oakland, California.

Thanks for the info Teufelhunde.ret! This is very interesting indeed! I hope NPRC gets back to me with some documents, it'll be interesting to see his service history.

• 4 months later...

On Saturday I finally received a letter from the NPRC in regards to the request I had submitted for this officer's records. The letter stated that I needed to have the signed consent from either the veteran or his next of kin. Since I got the uniform off of Ebay and I'm not sure who the seller got it from, I don't think that's going to happen. I thought that the NPRC could release certain records without veteran/NOK release approval. All I really want is a copy of the DD214 to see what awards he rated, campaigns he served in, and other basic info. At least this hopefully means they have something on him. The other three requests I sent in came back with letters stating they couldn't find anything. If anyone has any suggestions on this it would be appreciated.

USMC-RECON0321

On Saturday I finally received a letter from the NPRC in regards to the request I had submitted for this officer's records. The letter stated that I needed to have the signed consent from either the veteran or his next of kin. Since I got the uniform off of Ebay and I'm not sure who the seller got it from, I don't think that's going to happen. I thought that the NPRC could release certain records without veteran/NOK release approval. All I really want is a copy of the DD214 to see what awards he rated, campaigns he served in, and other basic info. At least this hopefully means they have something on him. The other three requests I sent in came back with letters stating they couldn't find anything. If anyone has any suggestions on this it would be appreciated.

I have sent in sevearl times for records and I get mixed results. Sometimes makes me wonder if it depends on who opens your request??

The answers I've been ginven have ranged from:

Records lost in the fire but here is his final pay check

Another was a copy of his DD214, but said without next of kin authorization they can not give me any more information

The only Marine I sent in for was for Sgt Kincaids Grouping and NPRC sent me a copy of his entire service file minus any medical information. It was a complete history and no questions asked??

So I don't know how things are decided? It would be interesting to hear from other forum members on their results. It would be a real shame if you need next of kins authorization to get the records back. Most items, that just isn't possible.

I also wonder if it makes a difference to NPRC if the Veteran being researched is still living or not?

Troy

American Heritage

Send another written request to NPRC. You've waited too long already. I've been getting them back really fast because I always pay up for the records eventually. After you submit your initial request, they physically search for the records and then send you a notice of the cost to copy the file and mail to you (now $70) and then it is has been between 2 weeks to 1 month to get the whole file. It really depends on who gets your request. There are many archival employees so if at first you do not succeed, try it again! I have on occasion received the same response as you did and on my 2nd or 3rd attempts, finally gotten the response I wanted. You need to cite the FOIA - Freedom of Information Act in your request - your request is made pursuant to that Act. Technically, NPRC is supp. to redact personal info and really screen what it sends, but since this is for historical purposes and research/preservation, they have been extremely helpful in copying all the info for me and I have made countless requests and follow-up requests. Keep trying and be patient - they usually always come through!

I just have a researcher go in and do it in person, never a hassle. I gave up mailing them personaly a few years back, they just seem to be incompetent.

The only issues I run into is WWII vets who were also were in Korea those records still seem to be locked up although the right amount of years have passed.

Good luck!

Leonardo

Thanks for the help everyone! I might try giving them a call and see if that does any good. If not I'll send in a second request and see what happens. I might even send in requests again for the other ones I've already send in and had no luck with to date. I'll try and get a picture of the jacket liner posted here within the next few days or so.

USMC-RECON0321

I just have a researcher go in and do it in person, never a hassle. I gave up mailing them personaly a few years back, they just seem to be incompetent.

The only issues I run into is WWII vets who were also were in Korea those records still seem to be locked up although the right amount of years have passed.

Good luck!

Leonardo

Leonardo,

I didn't know it could be done that way? Is this someone you know or a service that is provided for an additional fee? If you don't mind telling, what does that cost? Or PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks

Troy

Thanks for the pictures of the inside of the jacket, still learning about these Khaki coats and I'm trying to get a better idea of WWII jackets look like.

Most people uses Geoff from Goldenarrow research and Lori from Redbird research. I've used them both and they both do top service. I'm on my phone so I don't have the info handy I will pm you tomorrow with the details.

Thanks for raking the time to photograph the jacket!

Leonardo

USMC-RECON0321

Thanks for the pictures of the inside of the jacket, still learning about these Khaki coats and I'm trying to get a better idea of WWII jackets look like.

Most people uses Geoff from Goldenarrow research and Lori from Redbird research. I've used them both and they both do top service. I'm on my phone so I don't have the info handy I will pm you tomorrow with the details.

Thanks for raking the time to photograph the jacket!

Leonardo

Leonardo,

Thanks for that research update. Yes, please send a PM with the info. I just sent out 2 requests today on my named USMC items. So we will see what comes back??

Troy

Leonardo, I'll be standing by for the info to those resources, thanks! I've got another WWII named and dated USMC khaki officer's uniform that I'll need to post on the forum as well so keep an eye out for that.

NARA has a list of independent researchers on thir website, including Golden Arrow and Redbird:

http://www.archives.gov/research/hire-help/military.html

So you don't have to sort through the list, below is their contact info:

Golden Arrow Research

4123 West Bethany Dr.

Columbia, MO 65203

E-mail: [email protected]

Contact Person: Don Gentilini

Research Specialty: Morning Reports, Personnel Files, DD214, Unit Rosters, Payroll records, Medical records, general orders

Redbird Research LLC

1532 Lienemann Dr.

St. Peters, MO 63303

Telephone: (636) 448-3275

E-mail: [email protected]

Contact Person: Lori Berdak Miller

Research Specialty: WWI & WWII archival files, morning reports, microfilm, PEP files, awards cards - Army & Army Air Corps.

• 4 weeks later...

I recieved Lt Guilbert's records from Geoff a few weeks ago. After looking at the uniform again though it looks like the name in it is A. Guilford, which needless to say isn't August Guilbert. I looked at the USMC muster reports on ancestry.com for an A. Guilford and couldn't find any officers with a first name starting with an "A" and Guilford for a last name, in fact there weren't too many officers with the last name Guilford at all. I wonder if maybe the tailor misspelled his name in the uniform? The listing for the uniform stated that the discharge letter was found in the pocket of the uniform, though you know how that goes, stories are always made up and groupings put together. His records have some interesting information though and he was in fact wounded on Iwo Jima on 1 Mar 1945 from a gun shot wound to the left thigh. His records even have a copy of the letter that was sent to his mother informing her of his being WIA.

• 1 year later...

I found this site while doing a search for an A. Guilbert USMC WWII. I have a P41 HBT Utility jacket that has his last name and first initial in the collar(Hand written in ink). This jacket belonged to 1LT August Guilbert while attached to 3/28, 5th Marine Division during the Iwo Jima Campaign. The coat has the geometric symbol and numbering system that would translate to a LT attached to the 28th Marines and was a member of G Co according to the book "Grunt Gear" by Alec Tulkoff. The photo on page page 19 shows identical markings for a PFC James H. Cannon who served with G Co., 3/28, 5th Marine Division. The only difference is the first number, a PFC would have the number one whereas LT Guilbert's utility jacket has 4832. The number four denoting a Lieutenant.

I was fascinated that you had his Dress uniform and were able to give me his first name of August. I also went to Ancestry.com and was able to pull up the muster records for his time in the Marines. The HBT coat is in excellent condition except for some rust on the buttons and from storage. This could have been the coat he was wounded in but that is doubtful because of the condition. It was common to mark both sets of HBTs with any of the required markings for the Iwo Jima invasion. It is part of my WWII USMC collection next to the photo of my Uncle Dave Porteur who served with the 2nd Raider BN at Bougainville.

I haven't been on the forums here in awhile and just so happened to hop on today. It's great that I did and was able to see your post! That's neat that you've got his HBT jacket. Would you mind posting a picture of it here? While doing some research on Lt Guilbert I found a reference to another auction site where they had his footlocker for sale. I guess his items got split up at some point.