9 replies to this topic

#1 emaier3

emaier3
  • Members
    • Member ID: 124
  • 383 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 05:28 PM

All,

Does anyone know how to find a General Order for a World War I French Croix de Guerre awarded to an American soldier? I have the Order number and unit that issued it. I would like to get a copy of the citation.

Thanks,
Ed Maier

#2 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:31 PM

All,

Does anyone know how to find a General Order for a World War I French Croix de Guerre awarded to an American soldier? I have the Order number and unit that issued it. I would like to get a copy of the citation.

Thanks,
Ed Maier

Do you have his name? Many years ago, there was an office in France that I contacted that provide me with a replacement certificate for a CdG. However, you had to provide the name.

#3 emaier3

emaier3
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 05:31 PM

Do you have his name? Many years ago, there was an office in France that I contacted that provide me with a replacement certificate for a CdG. However, you had to provide the name.

The name is Darwin P. Kragle, Company I, 18th Infantry, 1st Infantry Division. He was awared the Criox de Guerre by Order #228, 14 November 1917, 77th Infantry Regiment (French).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

#4 VALERY

VALERY
  • Members
    • Member ID: 460
  • 420 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:22 AM

Bonjour,
I will call tomorrow the veterans office minister and ask them how to do it....
Cheers
Valery

#5 VALERY

VALERY
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:10 PM

Bonjour Ed,
After few phone calls to unsuspected offices at the veteran department and a telephonic ping pong party with and between the numerous chiefs, (little and big), I can say that:
It's possible to have a copy of the citation if you send a request with his name, his DOB and POB to the BCAM (Bureau Central d'Archives Militaires) at Pau.
If you have these infos, I can write you the letter through PM and you'll have just to send it to this office.
Cheers
Valery

#6 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

Bonjour Ed,
After few phone calls to unsuspected offices at the veteran department and a telephonic ping pong party with and between the numerous chiefs, (little and big), I can say that:
It's possible to have a copy of the citation if you send a request with his name, his DOB and POB to the BCAM (Bureau Central d'Archives Militaires) at Pau.
If you have these infos, I can write you the letter through PM and you'll have just to send it to this office.
Cheers
Valery

I believe that is the same office that I contacted. I wrote to them (in English), provided them with the info on the vet and they sent to me a very nice certificate. When I get a few minutes, I will scan and post it.
Awile back, I had planned to post information on how to do the request, but I could not find the address that I originally contacted. Thanks to Valery for helping him out!

Edited by BEAST, 07 February 2008 - 12:51 PM.

#7 VALERY

VALERY
  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:38 AM

Bonjour

Here is the address:

Bureau Central des Archives Militaires
Bureau décorations
Caserne Bernadotte
64023 PAU
FRANCE

Let me know if you need more infos...
Cheers
Valery

#8 emaier3

emaier3
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:38 PM

Bonjour

Here is the address:

Bureau Central des Archives Militaires
Bureau décorations
Caserne Bernadotte
64023 PAU
FRANCE

Let me know if you need more infos...
Cheers
Valery

Valery,

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. I hope that they will be able to provide the citation and I will let everyone know what happens.

Take care,
Ed

#9 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
  • 10,331 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:28 PM

Here is a copy of the certificate I received from PAU. One of these days, I will post his uniform group.

GARLOCK_CdG_CERTIFICATE_1_RESIZED.jpg

Edited by BEAST, 08 February 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#10 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users