Garcia survival Knife

doyler

Went to a gun auction today.Was suprised to see this in the pile of old bayonets there.I have a Hackman and have alsways wanted to add one of these to the group since I saw them as a kid in all the gun magazines.I understand these were also purchased by GIs and used.

This one even had the original manual rolled up in the hollow handle.Appears the original owner added a GI sttye belt hanger.The sharpening stone is mounted on a plastic base which has a compass,whistle and striker on it.

post-342-1345954577.jpg

post-342-1345954593.jpg

RD,

The only Garcia items I have ever purchased were reels,(A craze during the 60's-70's).

Is the grip leather, how's the blade for sharpness? The scabbard is stained on one side, or is that due to wear,(although it does show)?

Do you know the manufacture date??

RD,

The only Garcia items I have ever purchased were reels,(A craze during the 60's-70's).

Is the grip leather, how's the blade for sharpness? The scabbard is stained on one side, or is that due to wear,(although it does show)?

Do you know the manufacture date??

Garcia made/sold lots of gear for camping and fishing.I have a small Garcia heater someplace.

I remember these in the early to mid 70s in Guns and Ammo and Guns magazine.I believe Garcia bought the Hackman line/design.Knife appears un-used as is the scabbard.Dont know if the scabbard is stained on purpose or just discolored for years of storage.

Manufactured in Brazil

Grip is leather rings.Cap is threaded and screws off.Blade is attached to handle by a threaded tang with threaded nut.

Very sharp factory edge.

Not bad for $15 ;)

Not bad for $15 ;)

$15!? You should have spent the night in jail! :lol: Very nice, Ron. :thumbsup: I also remember them in the outdoor magazines and wishing I could afford one. I still have an AbuGarcia reel.

I think that what happened is that the rights to copy the Hackman Survival Knife where obtained by Garcia. The Hackman Knife Company was bought by another European Company, (I believe they were Swiss), and this company decided to just do Hackman's kitchen ware. IMHO the Garcia knife is not likely to have been in Vietnam. The time frame seems late, but I'm going too much from memory here.

I do remember that the original Hackman Survival knife was often sold without a sheath. It makes me wonder if that's SOP for how they came from the factory. It might explain why you see a variety of sheaths for those knives with a wide range in quality. One story I heard was that a distributor in the South East, it might have been Florida, bought Survival knives from Hackman and got sheaths made for them by an independent maker to go with the knives. The quality of these sheaths were passable. There was a pawn shop in downtown Seattle that had bought a lot of the original Hackman's and was selling them naked up until the early 80's. Oh well if I only knew then what I know now. :crybaby:

Old knives in new condition you got to love them. :twothumbup:

I think that what happened is that the rights to copy the Hackman Survival Knife where obtained by Garcia. The Hackman Knife Company was bought by another European Company, (I believe they were Swiss), and this company decided to just do Hackman's kitchen ware. IMHO the Garcia knife is not likely to have been in Vietnam. The time frame seems late, but I'm going too much from memory here.

I do remember that the original Hackman Survival knife was often sold without a sheath. It makes me wonder if that's SOP for how they came from the factory. It might explain why you see a variety of sheaths for those knives with a wide range in quality. One story I heard was that a distributor in the South East, it might have been Florida, bought Survival knives from Hackman and got sheaths made for them by an independent maker to go with the knives. The quality of these sheaths were passable. There was a pawn shop in downtown Seattle that had bought a lot of the original Hackman's and was selling them naked up until the early 80's. Oh well if I only knew then what I know now. :crybaby:

Old knives in new condition you got to love them. :twothumbup:

Thanks for the added info Sac.

I dont think the Garcias made it to VN but I have seen them bought and used by GIs.I saw a couple in a Pawn shop outside of Ft.Campell in 1979 when visiting there.There were several Buck sheath knives and folders as well.Many of the scabbards were adorned with jump wings and rank chevrons pinned on them.

I brought up the Vietnam era because you see sellers pushing these as being Vietnam period correct. That coupled with the prices some are getting for the actual Hackman's and I just :rolleyes: at what some will give for the Garcia. I'm glad you got this knife for $15 I might of broke my wrist reaching for my wallet. :w00t:

I brought up the Vietnam era because you see sellers pushing these as being Vietnam period correct. That coupled with the prices some are getting for the actual Hackman's and I just :rolleyes: at what some will give for the Garcia. I'm glad you got this knife for $15 I might of broke my wrist reaching for my wallet. :w00t:

Thanks Sac,

Most all of the bayonets and other things were pretty reasonabley oriced at the auction depending on what you wanted to spend.