The Negro Volunteer Infantry (ETO)

jgawne

AKA the 5th platoons

I wondered if by any means anyone has any groupings or anything from these guys. I have been chasing them for years, and info is like hens teeth. There was a Government study done 10-20 years ago (I think) titled something either 2221, or 2222, (which was the number of men in the program), but no one can find a copy. The kind folks at CMH went through everything and they do not have one.

I just fiogured I would ask as I am always looking on this subject.

I know my grandfather's division the 104th had a "5th platoon" for each infantry regiment. I talked with a veteran who had them attached to his company. He said they were good soldiers, but after VE-Day he said they were scuttled off somewhere and they never heard anything about them.

vostoktrading

I remember reading about the 99th Infantry Division getting some of these guys about the time the Remagen Bridge was captured.

Here's a link about the capture of the bridge and below it I have the paragraph about the black GI's attached:

http://www.62vgd.de/78th/Frank_Camm/remagen_bridgehead.htm

"In mid-March, thirty-seven rifle platoons of black soldiers were distributed among divisions at the front. They had been organized and trained in Europe from 2253 black in-theater volunteers. Our division received three platoons--the first Negro combat troops to arrive east of the Rhine and assigned one to each regiment for use intact as a platoon in a rifle company. The 311th placed its platoon in G Company. Good soldiers, who did a fine job in combat, they laid down such a huge volume of fire on the enemy that supply units were hard-put to keep them in ammunition. Whenever we’d hear a prolonged burst of rifle fire along our front, we knew they were there. Accordingly, they carried double loads of ammunition over their shoulders. Soon the Krauts were referring to them as our special groups of night fighters in natural camouflage. Receiving a second Negro platoon a month later, the 311th Infantry placed them in L Company. Reporting on their performance, our 78th Division commander, Major General Parker, said, “ Morale: Excellent. Manner of performance: Superior. Men were eager to close with the enemy and to destroy him… When given a mission, they accept it with enthusiasm; and even when losses to their platoon were inflicted, the colored boys pressed on.” The combat performance of the black platoons throughout our front line divisions influenced highly the decision after World War II to integrate black soldiers into American combat units."

dogfacedsoldier

I might have a grouping from the 28th Inf. Division, but not totally convinced. The partial number comes back to black soldier, and the khaki's carry the insignia of an infantryman in the 28th Divsion and it has a unit history with it. I'll have to dig up my research on the uniform again. From what I read 5th platoons were common by the end of the war, and in most all divisions.

Jon

pathfinder505

There is a book on Amazon and it is called:

Blood for Dignity: The Story of the First Integrated Combat Unit in the U.S. Army [Paperback]

David P. Colley (Author)

There is a book on Amazon and it is called:

Blood for Dignity: The Story of the First Integrated Combat Unit in the U.S. Army [Paperback]

David P. Colley (Author)

This is the book isbn 0-312-30035-2. According to the book the 1st,2nd,9th,69th,99th and 104th had black platoons.The report that your talking about was done by the Research Branch,Information and Education Division,Headquarters ,US Army ETO in may 1945. The 2221 is the Association of the 2221 Negro Volunteers founded by J Cameron Wade

• 5 months later...
carbinephalen

I thought I would revamp this thread. A very interesting topic that I haven't ever researched prior to tonight. Please see the attached photo below.

Does anybody have any items related to these equally brave troops?

post-14217-0-95254600-1361596967.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There isn't a lot to find out there. My family has continuous service since the 1890's to the present. My Father was in the 364th Infantry in WWII, and I had all of my Father's items when I was a child but over the years lost most of his items other than a few photos. My aunt was a WAC then also and I cannot find any of her items, other than a photo. My grandfather was in the 9th US Volunteer Infantry in the Spanish American War and my uncle was in a Pioneer unit in WWI. Our family still has both of their discharges but my sister and I don't get along and she still has them. The Spanish American War discharge is very ornate and beautiful.This is a photo of my father in Alaska in WWII. Had I known of the controversy that surrounded the 364th Infantry I would have asked him a lot of questions, but the only things he ever said about his service is that he never wanted to sleep on the ground again and he never ever ever wanted to go back to Mississippi. (But since he married my mom, who was from Mississippi, he did go back a few times.)

post-56764-0-91633200-1363291584.jpg

Oops. I see the post title is on the ETO, so this isn't germaine. Sorry.

We did have a neighbor whose unit landed at Normandy I think on D +1 as a type of stevedore or transportation unit. I'll ask him when I next go back home, if he is still with us by then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
carbinephalen

I found this great photo online of some of the 104th Infantry Division's "5th Platoon"

Very interesting, yet seldom talked about units during WWII. 104th+fifth+platoon.JPG

Badash, thanks for posting still! What an interesting family history!

Championhilz

Here's an interesting article from the Arkansas State Press, November 16, 1945, about a black soldier in one of the volunteer companies being awarded the DSC:

ScreenHunter_01Apr101907_zps2b7d267c.jpg

ScreenHunter_02Apr101907_zps056d835e.jpg

Here's another article from the Arkansas State Press, May 4, 1945:

ScreenHunter_03Apr101919_zpsa76c514e.jpg

Once again the Arkansas State Press, July 20, 1945:

ScreenHunter_04Apr101929_zpse86c69d6.jpg

Arkansas State Press, October 12, 1945:

ScreenHunter_05Apr101949_zpsabb94509.jpg

ScreenHunter_06Apr101949_zpsfc4f5103.jpg

I have a few photos and the roster for the first Black Platoon (called the X-Platoon) that was asigned to C Company, 9th Infantry Regiment. It was commanded by LT. Stanley Sorrell, who led them through the final months of combat in Europe. I also have a letter was given to me by one of the members he wrote it to his wife soon after joining the 9th. When I get a chance I will scan and post the images.

• 2 years later...
carbinephalen

If you still have those rosters that would be an interesting addition to this thread! I was able to find these:

post-14217-0-85443500-1438618997.jpg

post-14217-0-01075900-1438619038.jpg

And here is one for you Timberwolf! About the 5th platoon of the 104th

post-14217-0-92910200-1438619156.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
River Patrol

I have a photo album from an African-American soldier in WW2, however it doesn't state "5th platoon" or any platoon specifically.

River Patrol

I would say Infantry....no SSI that I could see. I'll try to post a pic or two.

River Patrol

I'm not sure if the guy on the truck is the owner of the photo album or if it's a friend but that tag might help ID the unit.

x35.jpg

x34.jpg

carbinephalen

Great shots! I have really uncovered a lot of great photos researching a negro soldier's uniform group that I have in the works. Here is another from the ETO!

post-14217-0-98252100-1441058532.jpg

• 2 months later...