• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#126 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

Looks to me like a canteen of water for a water cooled machine gun - Vickers?

I shopped this over to FIREARMS to see what those guys think.

http://www.usmilitar...erts/?p=2115179

#127 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
    • Member ID: 162,267
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:05 AM

WW 1 USCG Surfman involved in Port Security at NYC. If I recall, it was the mid 1970s when the CG discontinued using the Landing Party Manual.

WWI_Surfmen_Company.jpg

#128 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

An outstanding contribution to this topic MM, the first one really on the Coast Guard.

#129 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

Did some checking back in the regulations of the Revenue Cutter Service as far back as 1862.  They required that the crews would regularly be drilled on the great guns according to the Navy ordnance manuals and drilled in small arms, cutlasses, infantry drill etc. according to the Marine Corps Manuals. They all state that when possible, the crew will be landed and these infantry drills will be conducted ashore.

Checked the Military requirements for CG enlisted personnel from the mid 1960s. A requirement Petty Officer 2nd was an understanding of the authority and relationship with civilian personnel when in a landing party involving civil disaster or unrest..

#130 MastersMate

MastersMate
  • Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:25 PM

WWI_LS_Crew.jpgFrom the CG historians web site

Backtracking from the 1921 CG register of officers, George Streeter was appointed Acting Keeper on 8 July 1918. After 6 mos probation he would be appointed as a permanent WO.

His uniform is the enlisted Surfmans khaki of the 1915 - 1920sh period. Just about make out the rating badge on his right arm and 4 hashmarks on his left . With a provisional appointment, he could retain the uniform of his previous rating until the appointment was made permanent.  The Number 1 Surfman, along with other petty officers of the 1st class wore a CPO style uniform with the cap insignia similar to the USN CPO.  Note that he has the CG Warrant Officer insignia, but the enlisted brown leather chin strap..

Having trouble posting the picture, will work on it..

Edited by MastersMate, 19 March 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#131 VolunteerArmoury

VolunteerArmoury
  • Members
    • Member ID: 373
  • 727 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

WWI_LS_Crew.jpgFrom the CG historians web site

Are they wearing M1903 cartridge belts belts back to front with buckle in the rear? I'm looking at it on a phone so maybe it's normal M1910 belts & I don't see the buckles on a small photo.

#132 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:23 PM

I shopped this over to FIREARMS to see what those guys think.

http://www.usmilitar...erts/?p=2115179

Asked and for all intents and purposes.......Answered.

http://www.usmilitar...ne-gun-experts/

#133 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:58 AM

Photo in question yes? At any rate, I can't answer your question as I don't know :lol: But I'm pretty certain other members might know. However while we wait I'll take a stab at it, perhaps this large round canteen is a special one for Pharmacist mates, he being today what we call a Corpsman a Medic?

post-8903-1283288408.jpg

. As I look at this close I am pretty sure this is just a canteen for water. The guy carrying it is also carrying a pistol but I see no other canteen in him ( unlike the others. The man in the center is a Radio Electrician and appears to be holding a cool of wire. Two rated men ( the CPO and the guy on the left) wear their rates on the right (can't make the rate out, but prior to 1918, QMs were last the Signalmen). This would make sense for a croup going ashore to set up a CommSta. The Sailor left center appears to be holding something round, but can not make it out.

Any way, thinking the canteen is simply a canteen for water.

#134 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Two more Great War Navy Recruiting posters. Interesting, the depiction of Sailors outfitted for ground combat in this period seems to have been popular subject.

WWI Navy.jpg navy wwi.jpg

#135 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

USCG.jpg

A WWII Coast Guard Landing Party, or if you like, Shore Party. They got Dogs with them, so you better take care, they mean business :D  Don't know where foto was taken, Atlantic or Pacific Seaboard, or the Gulf of Mexico.

#136 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:51 AM

USCG.jpg
A WWII Coast Guard Landing Party, or if you like, Shore Party. They got Dogs with them, so you better take care, they mean business :D  Don't know where foto was taken, Atlantic or Pacific Seaboard, or the Gulf of Mexico.

I've always loved this photo. Notice that the BM2/c in the mingle of the boat has a beard!

#137 hink441

hink441
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,825
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

. As I look at this close I am pretty sure this is just a canteen for water. The guy carrying it is also carrying a pistol but I see no other canteen in him ( unlike the others. The man in the center is a Radio Electrician and appears to be holding a cool of wire. Two rated men ( the CPO and the guy on the left) wear their rates on the right (can't make the rate out, but prior to 1918, QMs were last the Signalmen). This would make sense for a croup going ashore to set up a CommSta. The Sailor left center appears to be holding something round, but can not make it out.

I think that is a fuel canteen. It is very similar to the Civil War fuel canteens that were used for signal lanterns.

Chris

#138 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 2,322
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

From my photo archive

USMC Captain instructing sailors armed with springfields and BAR's aboard USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) WWII

Attached Images

• USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) Landing Party Instruction 001.jpg

#139 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:22 PM

Reverse with censor's stamp

Attached Images

• USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) Landing Party Instruction 002.jpg

#140 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

From my photo archive

USMC Captain instructing sailors armed with springfields and BAR's aboard USS ENTERPRISE (CV-6) WWII

He must be the Enterprise's Detachment Commander, these were Captains right?

Edited by patches, 03 October 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#141 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

Another interesting photo of a sailor on land. This is Manila in December 1941. I can't make out what is written on his tin hat.

Just watched a new show put together for the 75th observance of the Pearl Harbor attack and this photo was identified as being taken in Honolulu shortly after the attack.

Needs more research..... Manila?  Honolulu?

#142 Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

• Moderators
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Naval Infantry at Kaneohe Bay Air Station December 8th, 1941 the day after the attack

Detail photos here  http://www.usmilitar...-the-day-after/

Attached Images

• Kaneohe Bay 12081941 002a wm.jpg

#143 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

Seen mention early on in this topic about the Landing Party from the 1975 film the Wind & The Lion, so went looking and found this still, a nice one with the 1895 Colt Machine Gun.

phpsAUBEQPM.jpg

#144 Slobo

Slobo
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 6,862
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:48 AM

Great photos of landing parties here and in other threads. It seems in the 1920s-1930s, in China for example, that wear of undress blues and undress whites, with web equipment and sometimes tin hat, was the most common uniform of the day. I've noticed in several period photos the wear of blues or whites without any apparent insignia -- no ratings badges on sleeves or branch tape at the shoulder, service stripes, etc. Was this common in China and other postings -- landing party or shipboard duty? I know trops were typically worn without insignia, except maybe pin-on collar badges for officers, but jumpers?

For example, check out the Coasties in Photo #135 above. The one jumping ashore over the stbd bow has no apparent insignia, and it appears unlikely this is a basic training exercise given the others that do show rating badges or branch tape.

Edited by Slobo, 19 June 2019 - 06:03 AM.

#145 hink441

hink441
  • Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:51 AM

I am pretty sure this is a fuel canteen. Here are examples of Civil War signal Corp fuel canteens.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited by hink441, 19 June 2019 - 06:55 AM.

#146 hink441

hink441
  • Members
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:52 AM

Another example of a fuel canteen.

image.jpeg

#147 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,885
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:20 PM

I think that is a fuel canteen. It is very similar to the Civil War fuel canteens that were used for signal lanterns.

Chris

Chris, You nailed it.

In this day & age we forget about mundane things such as lanterns needing fuel.

Jon.

#148 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,282 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

Found this other still from The Sand Pebbles, the scene at the Consulate at Chansha to pick up those U.S. Missionaries,  and after where the Party is made to leave at sling arms and under nationalist army escourt and is pelleted by food and junk when marching back to the ship :D

sandpebbles11.jpg?w=696

Edited by patches, 09 September 2019 - 04:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users