• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#26 patches

patches
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,986
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:31 PM

You're welcome. I haven't found one yet, but if I do, I'll post a link on this thread.

Thanks that all we could ask for :thumbsup:

#27 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,885
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

It is interesting to read the events following the Japanese attack on the Philippines in December 1941.
The USS Canopus (AS-9) was a submarine tender at Cavite. She moved to Mariveles across from Corregidor.
She was left behind when all the subs moved along to the Dutch East Indies. She then provided the Army with her services
as a machine shop to repair/fabricate all kinds of things.

Members of her crew, some loose sailors from Cavite Navy Yard and a few loose Marines formed a combat unit that saw some action against Japanese forces landed within US/Philippine lines on the coast of Bataan. This is an interesting "Navy Landing Party" story!

Please view the link provided below. The landing party story starts with the last paragraph of page 10 and ends with page 14 of the scanned old type written account of the Canopus.

http://www.shill-fam...nopusstart.html

By the way, I thinks Steve's History of the Marine Corps (post 19) is superb! I think Samuel Eliot Morison could learn something from him!

Jon.

#28 vostoktrading

vostoktrading
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,885
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Here's the USS Canopus.

Attached Images

• 109_5.jpg

#29 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,104
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

It is interesting to read the events following the Japanese attack on the Philippines in December 1941.
The USS Canopus (AS-9) was a submarine tender at Cavite. She moved to Mariveles across from Corregidor.
She was left behind when all the subs moved along to the Dutch East Indies. She then provided the Army with her services
as a machine shop to repair/fabricate all kinds of things.

Members of her crew, some loose sailors from Cavite Navy Yard and a few loose Marines formed a combat unit that saw some action against Japanese forces landed within US/Philippine lines on the coast of Bataan. This is an interesting "Navy Landing Party" story!

Please view the link provided below. The landing party story starts with the last paragraph of page 10 and ends with page 14 of the scanned old type written account of the Canopus.

http://www.shill-fam...nopusstart.html

By the way, I thinks Steve's History of the Marine Corps (post 19) is superb! I think Samuel Eliot Morison could learn something from him!

Jon.

JOn, great link! The part about dying the whites was great. I particularly enjoyed the Japanese account of meeting the "Suicide Squads" thrashing around in the jungle! Excellant account. That would make a great novie, along with all the drama of a hopeless cause, last ditch fight, lost of chanve for humor and one liners. And thank you for the compliment about post 19. My last three ships were amphibs, and I learned that when dealing with my Marine Brothers, it was best to "Keep It Simple".

Steve

#30 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Robert Walker Sr as the Kid, the sailor sent up to the Front in the 1943 movie Bataan, here though he was wearing dungrees.

Attached Images

• longfordeath.jpg

#31 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Robert Walker Sr as the Kid, the sailor sent up to the Front in the 1943 movie Bataan, here though he was wearing dungrees.

That was a great movie. But rather than the crew of a ship and others mixed in, it was about a group of straggelers thrown together. Same concept. I love those typs of movies, The end of "They Were Expendable" and moving off the Navy theme, "Sahara", (both the Bogart and Belushi versions).

#32 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

That was a great movie. But rather than the crew of a ship and others mixed in, it was about a group of straggelers thrown together. Same concept. I love those typs of movies, The end of "They Were Expendable" and moving off the Navy theme, "Sahara", (both the Bogart and Belushi versions).

Right in these cases in Luzon and on Bataan in 1941-42, it would be sailors that were either to use the word surplus, such as land based yard personel or ones had no ships, they being destroyed, they can not be considered Landing Parties in the strictest sense in the word.

#33 29navy

29navy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 913
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Here you go, found this real good one, Officer and Enlisted landing Party Order, one goof though, I always noticed with the web gear ( maybe more of the men in the flim) is that they are wearing the M1942 First Aid Pouch and not the correct M1910 or even M1924 pouch.

Another goof(s) is that the officer should be wearing black shoes instead of white shoes when wearing leggings (according to Regulations) adn the canteens (I believe most of them) have black caps instead of the silver ones.

Charlie

#34 gunbunny

gunbunny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,481
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Here's some photos of sailors in landing party order. First one is probably still in training. Note that he appears to be armed with a Krag.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7205-1.jpg

A complete party with officers. Note sailor at left front with pistol belt.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7208.jpg

Group of corpsmen rigged for shore.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7211.jpg

#35 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:07 AM

Here's some photos of sailors in landing party order. First one is probably still in training. Note that he appears to be armed with a Krag.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7205-1.jpg

A complete party with officers. Note sailor at left front with pistol belt.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7208.jpg

Group of corpsmen rigged for shore.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j27/Cavgunbunny/DSCN7211.jpg

Great photos! The top one is a recruit in Boot Camp. The first Navy Boot Camp, (Great Lakes Illinois), Opened in 1911. Note he has no stripes around the cuffs of his jumper nor any branch tape around his shoulder. Sailors did receive some Infantry training in Boot Camp in those days.

Not sure about the second photo. They seem very lightly equiped for a landing party. Note that the officers are simplying wearing their regular leather sword belts and carrying their swords. This may be more for a parade type function rather than a "Landing Party To Protect American Interests" or whatever the exchuse de Jour would have been.

In the third pnoto, check out the leggings. They look different from standard. Possibilly leather? Just guessing. By the shape of the hats, I'm thinking just at the turn of the century.

OK, I love the Sand Pebbles! I have read the book four times, owned the book in hard back, soft back and paper back. Own the DVD, watch it every time it comes on TV. Assigned the book to my guys to read and we watched the movie (on VHS at the time) as training. Wore my white hat like Jake Holman. However, it is one of the worst movies about the Navy for historical uniform accuracy. The uniforms are based on WW 2 era. The movie Was set in 1926, when the Navy was still in the old blue flannel blues worn WW 1 style. But, hay, those of us who focus on a particular thing in history have learned to ignore the details of uniforms and the other "bits" or we would never watch another movie again!
Steve

#36 Steindaddie

Steindaddie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,949
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

Here's a modest contribution: USS West Virginia circa 1927. Caption on the photo reads "Soldiers of the Sea"

Attached Images

• Scan1.jpg

#37 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Keeping the ship floating, found more old photos of Navy shore parties.

Sailors from the cruiser USS Philadelphia practice assaulting over a wall in the 1890's, on Honolulu.

Attached Images

• phpsCoKVKPM_1890.jpg

#38 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

an armed shore party from the cruiser USS Philadelphia posing at the United States consulate on Samoa, in 1899.

Attached Images

• samoa.jpg

#39 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

Sailors from the battleship USS Michigan during the occupation of Veracruz 1914, do these guys wear there Whites dyed in a light Brown or Khaki shade or are they just filthy dirty?

Attached Images

• phpzrXDDnPM_vera_cruz.jpg

Edited by patches, 02 September 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#40 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

Here's a modest contribution: USS West Virginia circa 1927. Caption on the photo reads "Soldiers of the Sea"

Great shot. Again, parade formation. Notice, no canteens and the pouches are empty. Not uncomon to rig the Crew out in feld gear like this just to make sure it could be done and to inspect the gear.

Steve

#41 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

Keeping the ship floating, found more old photos of Navy shore parties.

Sailors from the cruiser USS Philadelphia practice assaulting over a wall in the 1890's, on Honolulu.

"Dog & Pony" for the locals. Notice the color guard in the lower left and the SpanAm war canteens. Cool pnoto, love these things.

Steve

#42 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

an armed shore party from the cruiser USS Philadelphia posing at the United States consulate on Samoa, in 1899.

Great shot! Notice again those odd leggings. They almost look leather.

Steve

#43 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Sailors from the battleship USS Michigan during the occupation of Veracruz 1914, do these guys wear there Whites dyed in a light Brown or Khaki shade or are they just filthy dirty?

The whites are dyed. The formulea was to soak them in coffee. What a waste of coffee :thumbdown:

Steve

#44 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:38 PM

The whites are dyed. The formulea was to soak them in coffee. What a waste of coffee :thumbdown:

Steve

Maybe they were using the Coffee as a good excuse not to drink it, or is it only in the Army where the Coffee looks like Muddy Water and tastes like Turpentine :lol:

Edited by patches, 02 September 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#45 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
    • Member ID: 211
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Some scarce images from an album belonging to a Radioman on the USS MISSISSIPPI, circa 1925-27. Interestingly, clippings and photos in the album indicate, at another time, he and a party from the ship were detached to provide aid during the great 1927 Mississippi River Flood. They set up a wireless station in Louisiana.
LP_1.jpg

Edited by siege1863, 02 September 2012 - 07:48 PM.

#46 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

LP_2.jpg

#47 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

LP_3.jpg

#48 siege1863

siege1863
  • Members
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

LP_4.jpg

#49 sigsaye

sigsaye
  • Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Maybe they were using the Coffee as a good excuse not to drink it, or is it only in the Army where the Coffee looks like Muddy Water and tastes like Turpentine :lol:

SIR! I am shocked! SHOCKED I say, that you would utter such hate filled things about Navy Coffee! Navy Coffee is a Magic Elixir, fit for Kings sir! We nurture our young with it, turning them from soft, pastey (dare I say "weasely") civilians into "tough, strong, two fisted, hairy chested, rompin' stompin' Sailor Men" to quote SM1 Magutas. It heals your mind after a three day liberty in Subic, heals your soul after a hearty A$$ chewing from your Chief about something you don't really rememeber that happened during that same three day drunk. It heals your body at "Oh My God Thirty" on a cold mid watch in the North Atlantic, wrapping itself around you like a new foul weather jacket. And on a mid watch cruising the South China Sea, it lets you know that "All is Well with the world". Not only THAT SIR! but it has many varied uses. As we have seen, it can be used to dye your clothing into a very early American camoflage pattern. It can be used to mix with "Cup-O-Noodles when there is no hot water, or re-hydrate C-Ration pound cake or brownies to make them edible when your stuck on the bridge during amphibious assaults. It can be used as anticeptic on woulds (No germ could survive a dunking in the stuff), or as a way to hide "administrative errors" on a loose peice of paper (a cigarette also works for this, but coffee is more politically correct these days). It can be used to remove grease from repair parts, remove rust and paint! Oh Yes Sir! Navy Coffee, best stuff in the world! Gotta have it!!! :w00t:

At one time, I do believe that the Navy actually had it's own coffee plantation, up into the '50s I think.

Any way, Love the pics, these guys look like Squids on a landing party. Love it. Thanks for posting

Steve

#50 patches

patches
  • Members
  • 23,459 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

SIR! I am shocked! SHOCKED I say, that you would utter such hate filled things about Navy Coffee! Navy Coffee is a Magic Elixir, fit for Kings sir! We nurture our young with it, turning them from soft, pastey (dare I say "weasely") civilians into "tough, strong, two fisted, hairy chested, rompin' stompin' Sailor Men" to quote SM1 Magutas. It heals your mind after a three day liberty in Subic, heals your soul after a hearty A$$ chewing from your Chief about something you don't really rememeber that happened during that same three day drunk. It heals your body at "Oh My God Thirty" on a cold mid watch in the North Atlantic, wrapping itself around you like a new foul weather jacket. And on a mid watch cruising the South China Sea, it lets you know that "All is Well with the world". Not only THAT SIR! but it has many varied uses. As we have seen, it can be used to dye your clothing into a very early American camoflage pattern. It can be used to mix with "Cup-O-Noodles when there is no hot water, or re-hydrate C-Ration pound cake or brownies to make them edible when your stuck on the bridge during amphibious assaults. It can be used as anticeptic on woulds (No germ could survive a dunking in the stuff), or as a way to hide "administrative errors" on a loose peice of paper (a cigarette also works for this, but coffee is more politically correct these days). It can be used to remove grease from repair parts, remove rust and paint! Oh Yes Sir! Navy Coffee, best stuff in the world! Gotta have it!!! :w00t:

At one time, I do believe that the Navy actually had it's own coffee plantation, up into the '50s I think.

Any way, Love the pics, these guys look like Squids on a landing party. Love it. Thanks for posting

Steve

Certainly a varied and utilitarian beverage as used by the Navy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users