Early WWII USMC Kabar

Catfishcraig

Catfishcraig

This early WWII Kabar with red spacer is the newest addition to my collection. The handle is tight and the blade appears to be in good shape. Sheath however looks a little worn and I’m not sure its original as it is stamped “USMC BOYT 43” and I thought that the Sheaths stamped with USMC were not original to WWII.

post-12393-1345412190.jpg

post-12393-1345412207.jpg

Your sheath is right as rain.

THe new commecially produced Kabars have the USMC and EGA embossed on the front of the scabbards.Boyt only marked these this way in 1943.

These WW2 ones will be found with USN or USMC on ththrot as yours is.Both made by Boyt.I have a RH37 marked knife I had rebuilt as it was missing a few washers and the pommel.Reason I bought it was the nice USN BOYT 43 marked scabbardThe USN Mk2s will also be seen in a USN stamped at the top of the sheath opening where the knife is inserted.

Catfishcraig
Your sheath is right as rain.

THe new commecially produced Kabars have the USMC and EGA embossed on the front of the scabbards.Boyt only marked these this way in 1943.

These WW2 ones will be found with USN or USMC on ththrot as yours is.Both made by Boyt.I have a RH37 marked knife I had rebuilt as it was missing a few washers and the pommel.Reason I bought it was the nice USN BOYT 43 marked scabbardThe USN Mk2s will also be seen in a USN stamped at the top of the sheath opening where the knife is inserted.

Thanks! I've been looking for one of the early Kabar knives for quite some time. Guess it was worth the wait.

Thanks! I've been looking for one of the early Kabar knives for quite some time. Guess it was worth the wait.

With these you take them as you find them.Most were well used or lost early in the war(IMO).Only seen a couple mint ones and someday I will find one.

Just wanted to add I believe they are making repro scabbards marked BOYT 43 but they are pretty obvious.There are repro scabbard avaiable on ebay.Seen some coming out of Mexico as well.I would use a repro scabbard to carry a knife if re-enacting as nice original scabbards are getting scarce and spendy.

Catfishcraig
Outstanding find. It's not easy to find a blade is such good shape on a red spacer USMC Ka-Bar. :thumbsup:

Bill

Thanks Bill! I let one of these pass by about six months ago and got lucky to have found another when I had some cash on me. I have to say, this has been a good year for me.

• 5 years later...

This early WWII Kabar with red spacer is the newest addition to my collection. The handle is tight and the blade appears to be in good shape. Sheath however looks a little worn and I’m not sure its original as it is stamped “USMC BOYT 43” and I thought that the Sheaths stamped with USMC were not original to WWII.

That's a good find Craig. I've got one in not a lot better condition than yours and I enjoy it very much (actually my wife complains because I keep it under my recliner so I can play with when I get bored).

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine.

Art

Catfishcraig

Found this one on eBay last Friday. Have not got it yet but it looks pretty nice.

I think you did very well!

Catfishcraig

That's a good find Craig. I've got one in not a lot better condition than yours and I enjoy it very much (actually my wife complains because I keep it under my recliner so I can play with when I get bored).

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do mine.

Art

I sold this knife but since have found one in almost similar condition. Mine I have to keep in a safe as I still have young kids in the house, but I take it out now and then. I think Ill go look at it now.

Craig

Dopey me. I didn't look at the date on the original thread. Well then, as long as I'm not hijacking your thread, I'll show a pic of mine just to make mikedon's look even better. Like Don's and Craig's, it's the triple black spacer variety, but it's got two thin red spacers at the guard rather than one thick one.

Art

post-168413-0-07625900-1532309046_thumb.jpg

Catfishcraig

Dopey me. I didn't look at the date on the original thread. Well then, as long as I'm not hijacking your thread, I'll show a pic of mine just to make mikedon's look even better. Like Don's and Craig's, it's the triple black spacer variety, but it's got two thin red spacers at the guard rather than one thick one.

Art

Very nice and I dont mind any hijacking as long as you include a picture of your Kabar:). I like how the older veriations fit in your hand, they feel very balanced.