• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AndyUSMC

AndyUSMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,988
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Here is an almost full case of US WW2 M-11 Red Star Signal Parachute Flares. all are dated 1943. I am thinking about selling some as I only need a few for my own collection. I am trying to figure out how to ship them? Does anyone know?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 ADAM2001

ADAM2001

This member has been banned

• Banned
    • Member ID: 337
  • 475 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

WOW.. :w00t:

What a find !! How did you come about getting these may I ask??

Adam

#3 Jeeperz83

Jeeperz83
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,732
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Nice find! I'd be interested in one if you do sell any. :thumbsup:

#4 nix284

nix284
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,589
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Yes, I would be in for some too. I'd also like to see the markings on the crate if you get a chance.

#5 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,752
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

How to ship flares.
Take flares....wrap each flare in paper
Take individually wrapped flares and place in box.
Place shipping pop corn around flares.
Pack box full.
Tape box closed.
Place box in larger box.
Place shipping popcorn around box.
Close box.
Seal box with packing tape.
Place address label on box.
Take box and insert in car.
Take self and insert in car.
Drive car to UPS Store.
Remove box from car.
Take box into UPS Store.
Advise clerk you want to ship box.
Pay clerk.
Get receipt.
Leave store.
Done.

Darbo

P.S. Would like some shipped to me as well. Cost please?

Edited by Ronnie, 18 August 2012 - 10:14 PM.

#6 Brian Keith

Brian Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,549
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Very Nice! I love finding things in original boxes. I'd be interested in one also.
MSG BKW

#7 AndyUSMC

AndyUSMC
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:20 AM

Thanks for all the interest. I will call UPS on Monday and find out exactly what to do. Thanks

#8 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,693 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thanks for all the interest. I will call UPS on Monday and find out exactly what to do. Thanks

No different than shipping ammo.You tell them its vintage ammo etc.Ships everyday.If declared you will most likely have to have a hazmat sticker put on it.UPS is the way to go as the post office usually wont ship these if declared to what contents are in it.Most people just dont declare what the item actually is.Pack it and ship it.

#9 Survival

Survival
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,413
  • 896 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

If you want to ship legally, this is not going to be much help but somewhere on this site is a discussion about legally shipping ammo via UPS. I'm sure its in the firearms section. They have requirements regarding packing and labeling that need to be followed. A long time ago there was a link to a firearms website that had a forum thread that went on forever about this. The key point that ran through the discussion was talk to the UPS Haz Mat people first and get your ducks in a row. There is a toll free number for Haz Mat questions only. Then when you get ready to ship try to go to a real UPS location not a UPS store in a mall. If they give you any grief about the contents hand them the number for their Haz Mat folks and have them call. Also if the wooden crate is not marked I am thinking it might be a garage built container rather then an original wartime packing crate. Good luck

#10 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Andy if you are not gonna do what Doyler has suggested....which is the right way to do it....then meet me on the Mississippi coast one day this week and I'll buy the whole crate from you. Pensacola isn't very far from Biloxi.
Send me a pm if interested.
Darby

#11 AndyUSMC

AndyUSMC
  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

I spoke with UPS this morning. They said for pyrotechnics I would need a MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet, and a HAZMAT contract. There is no MSDS available on WW2 flares. Unfortunately this means local pickup only.

My apologies to all of you that were interested. There is just no way to legally ship these.

Ronnie(Darby), I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

#12 DannyBMW

DannyBMW
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,802
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:19 PM

I spoke with UPS this morning. They said for pyrotechnics I would need a MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet, and a HAZMAT contract. There is no MSDS available on WW2 flares. Unfortunately this means local pickup only.

My apologies to all of you that were interested. There is just no way to legally ship these.

Ronnie(Darby), I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

I live in Dothan, AL. I can drive over Wednesday and pick them up. Please PM me. Your box is full.

or email me with your price for all at [email protected]

Danny

#13 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

"I spoke with UPS this morning. They said for pyrotechnics I would need a MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet, and a HAZMAT contract. There is no MSDS available on WW2 flares. Unfortunately this means local pickup only.

"

Check CFR 49 for shipping DOT. UPS doesn't have to legally ship ANYthing they choose not to. UPS has operator variations and their own rules and they are but one shipper. Their rules are almost certainly stricter than the law. For example, the law doesn;t require a HAZMAT contract with the carrier. UPS does. However you may need a contract with an emergency response firm for shipping.

RE: MSDS, they may be of limited enough quantity to be considered a 'excepted' material (if shipping one) which may not need all docs, potentially including an MSDS. You'd need to potentially determine the makeup of the pyro, the amount, etc. You will probably be able to ship legally. It's just that it may be expensive and time consuming to dot all the i's and cross all the t's

Don't ask me how I know this. I don't wanna talk about it.

Edited by Chris_B, 21 August 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#14 Ronnie

Ronnie
  • Members
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:44 PM

PM sent Andy.
Also Andy a friend and I purchased several cases of WWII flares from a well known military dealer last year. They were shipped by UPS. He had a ton of em and sold out, or very close to it.
You shot yourself in the foot bud.
At any rate unless you've already worked another deal, check the pm.
Thanks.
Darbo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users