KIA B-24 Pilot Grouping

Kadet

I have posted this on another forum, but thought I would also show it here. 1LT William Wood flew w/ the 746th Bomb Sq of the 456th Bomber Group. Part of the 15th AF in Italy, Wood's B-24 was hit on a bombing run over Blechhammer, Germany on 22 Aug 1944. Wood dropped out of the formation and headed for home. Dramatic events followed as recounted in his SS citation. This group started out as a semi anonymous garage sale find. I was recently able to determine his unit from the citation sent to me by the Air Force and am awaiting his IDPF. BTW, I am also seeking a crew photo and info about the B-24 flown by Wood (ser #, nose art etc) if anyone can help.

post-110-1202041524.jpg

Andy, Glad to see you got the citation. You also did a great job of getting the glue off the backs of the medals!

Kurt

Two planes went down this day from the 746 BS:

B-24 42-78256 "Never Had it Better" MACR 8006

B-24 42-64480 "Lassie Come Home II" MACR 10001

post-131-1202064810.jpg

Stephan

Stephan, there is another loss listed available for that unit which lists three aircraft lost on 22 Aug. Wood was not flying the two you mentioned. I believe him to have been in the third which, for some reason, does not seem to have an MACR. This may be because, although hit over the target in Germany, the plane actually crashed in friendly territory on it's way back to base in Italy

Two planes went down this day from the 746 BS:

B-24 42-78256 "Never Had it Better" MACR 8006

B-24 42-64480 "Lassie Come Home II" MACR 10001

post-131-1202064810.jpg

Stephan

Andy, Glad to see you got the citation. You also did a great job of getting the glue off the backs of the medals!

Kurt

Kurt, thanks. I normally avoid messing w/ things, but in this case I think it was warranted and had a good result.

Stephan, there is another loss listed available for that unit which lists three aircraft lost on 22 Aug. Wood was not flying the two you mentioned. I believe him to have been in the third which, for some reason, does not seem to have an MACR. This may be because, although hit over the target in Germany, the plane actually crashed in friendly territory on it's way back to base in Italy

Oops an oversight.

There must be an MACR regardless the location.

Stephan

If a plane crashed in friendly territory and the crash site could be accessed immediately ( IE a bmober crashing in England ) , an accident report would have been filed , but not a MACR . That is why not all AAF KIA's have a MACR .

Kurt

If a plane crashed in friendly territory and the crash site could be accessed immediately ( IE a bmober crashing in England ) , an accident report would have been filed , but not a MACR . That is why not all AAF KIA's have a MACR .

Kurt

That's good to know but I have also MACR's for Bombers crashed right over their Base in England.

Stephan