For You The War Is Over - WWII POW Propaganda

KASTAUFFER

As part of my WWII POW collection , I have actively looked for propaganda leaflets that Americans would have received in an attempt to get them to surrender . Some of them are very creative , others laughable .

Here are a few that I found interesting .

The first one is a " letter" that an actual American POW named Jesse Bradburn wrote. He was an AAF crewman captured on 2/17/44 in Italy . He wrote a letter to his Father after he was captured and the Germans reproduced it and printed it and put it in an envelope. I am sure S/Sgt Bradburn never thought his letter would become public reading .

Z_Bradburn_1.jpg

Z_Bradburn_2.jpg

Here is a surrender leaflet with what appears to be a Ranger pictured on the front. It looks like a Ranger Arc on his shoulder .

Z_prop_1.jpg

Here is a leaflet made to look like a real War Department pamphlet that was given to soldiers explaining how to conduct yourself as a POW . This one obviously had a different motive .

Z_war_Dep_1.jpg

If anyone has POW surrender leaflets that the US dropped on the Japanese/Germans feel free to post them here too.

Kurt

Here is one from the other side of the world.

It is a leaflet dropped by the Japanese on Negros in the Philippines in an attempt to get the local people to turn in Americans hiding in the hills. This one came from the estate of an American POW captured on Negros . I have a lot more of his material as well. This leaflet is RARE .

Z_negros.jpg

Here is a surrender leaflet with what appears to be a Ranger pictured on the front. It looks like a Ranger Arc on his shoulder .

very interesting postings!

A thought: instead of a "Ranger" arc, could that be a "Canada" arc on a Brit battle blouse?

Anyhow, excellent stuff here! Thanks for sharing.

very interesting postings!

A thought: instead of a "Ranger" arc, could that be a "Canada" arc on a Brit battle blouse?

Anyhow, excellent stuff here! Thanks for sharing.

It could be ! The photo is so grainy its hard to tell. The cut of the jacket does look like it might be a battledress . There were a lot of Rangers captured at Cisterna , so it could go either way.

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt-

Very cool thread.

This is from a 117th IR/ 30th Division album I have. Interesting in that it uses images of dead Americans to induce surrender:

post-701-1203283374.jpg

post-701-1203283388.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret
Here is another one listing the " benefits " of surrendering .

... now thats an interesting group of benefits crying.gif