9 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Gentlemen:

The National Museum of Naval Aviation at Pensacola, Florida has a world class collection of aircraft associated with Marine, Navy and Coast Guard aviation. Less well known are the other artifacts in its collection. One of those artifacts caught my eye recently.

The Victory Model seen below was recovered in 1988 on a small, uninhabited island in the Palau Islands of the Pacific Ocean. A native fisherman there had found a previously undiscovered aircraft crash. Navy investigators were dispatched from Guam. What they found was the TBF-1C torpedo bomber (BuNo 25215) of Lt.(jg) Jarrell Jenkins which had been lost on March 30, 1944. On that date Lt. Jenkins, a member of Torpedo Squadron 31 (VT-31), was part of the attack launched by the USS Cabot against Japanese shipping in the Palaus. Also found were the remains of Jenkins and his crew, AMM1c Thomas Conlen and ARM2c Lewis Sumers. They had been listed as missing in action since 1944.

Victory from TBM crash ed.jpg

The condition of the Victory is such that determining the serial number is probably not possible. It is fitting that this Victory now resides in a place of honor where it commemorates the service and sacrifice of these American airmen.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Edited by Charlie Flick, 15 August 2019 - 01:55 PM.
Fix loss of pic due to Photobucket meltdown

#2 dalbert

dalbert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,815
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Charlie Flick,

Thanks for posting this.

The National Museum of Naval Aviation in Pensacola is well worth the trip for anyone who has interests like we all share on this board. Highly recommended. I visited last year, and plan to go again next year.

David Albert
[email protected]

#3 gunbarrel

gunbarrel
  • Members
    • Member ID: 70
  • 6,319 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Charlie,

I also would like to thank you for the fascinating post. No doubt the plane hit hard in order to bend the grip to such an extent!

May these heroes rest in peace.

#4 gunnertwo

gunnertwo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,930
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:31 PM

It is a good thing for the remains of our Warriors to be removed from the MIA list and given a proper resting place.

G2

#5 Jpage

Jpage
  • Members
    • Member ID: 161,837
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:43 AM

Charlie,

I also would like to thank you for the fascinating post. No doubt the plane hit hard in order to bend the grip to such an extent!

May these heroes rest in peace.

and worn in a shoulder holster when the gripframe bent.

#6 hink441

hink441
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,825
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:35 AM

Here is the photobucket picture.

image.jpeg

#7 TLeo

TLeo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,081
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

That took quite an impact to bend that way. Glad they were able to find the crew. I assume they returned the remains to the US and their families.

#8 TheMariner

TheMariner
  • Members
    • Member ID: 160,496
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:32 AM

Good to hear there that the plane was found. Incredible what salt water does to things, that pistol is rough!

#9 OldNugget

OldNugget
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 163,155
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:31 PM

Grateful for their sacrifice, glad their remains have been brought home.

My father's younger and only brother was a TBM gunner MIA on a mission over Okinawa on April 29, 1945. They never found the aircraft wreckage or crew remains. In the back of his logbook his equipment inventory list has PISTOL, 38 CAL. 366303 penciled in. There's another Victory Model war loss

#10 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:11 PM

OldNugget:

Thanks for your post, and welcome to the Forum.

Here is a post-script to the thread.  These three Naval aviators who flew together and died together are now buried together at Arlington National Cemetery.

Aircrew TBM Crash Palau Arlington gravesite-photo-july-2006 ed.jpg

[Photo credit to Roxsanne Wells-layton]

Regards,

Charlie

Edited by Charlie Flick, 15 August 2019 - 02:15 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users