Reintroduction of USMC Parachutist Insignia 1963 - Research resource

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

While googling some info on Hilborn-Hamburger today I came across this passage in a 2004 book regarding David Shoup and the reintroduction of gold Parachutist wings by the USMC in 1963.

Fortune Favors the Brave Pg 51

Fortune Favors the Brave

The Story of First Force Recon

Aloha Everyone,

While googling some info on Hilborn-Hamburger today I came across this passage in a 2004 book regarding David Shoup and the reintroduction of gold Parachutist wings by the USMC in 1963.

Fortune Favors the Brave Pg 51

Fortune Favors the Brave

The Story of First Force Recon

That's interesting because the Marine Corps officially adopted the Army para wings during WWII. See below from the files of the US Army Institute of Heraldry for the Parachutist Badge:

post-146-1200282779.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Good info on that link, as it spells out the 1963 adoption of the Navy & Marine parachutist insignia.

So.....what is Meyers referring to when he writes that he recommended the adoption of "the old (gold) navy-marine parachute wings worn by our paramarines and Marine riggers in early Marine Corps squadrons."

Which wings did the Paramarines wear? Silver Army wings or Gold Navy-Marine wings?

Good info on that link, as it spells out the 1963 adoption of the Navy & Marine parachutist insignia.

So.....what is Meyers referring to when he writes that he recommended the adoption of "the old (gold) navy-marine parachute wings worn by our paramarines and Marine riggers in early Marine Corps squadrons."

Which wings did the Paramarines wear? Silver Army wings or Gold Navy-Marine wings?

Army wings are for initial jump qual, the gold Navy are for 'masters'

So if the gold wings were not officially adopted until 1963, what did they represent in WW2? I have never gotten a good answer for that! I know some say riggers, but I have pictures on non-riggers wearing the wings.

So if the gold wings were not officially adopted until 1963, what did they represent in WW2? I have never gotten a good answer for that! I know some say riggers, but I have pictures on non-riggers wearing the wings.

I've always been under the impression that the gold in WWII were for riggers, but sometimes worn against regs by Paramarines who liked them better than the Army style

That has always been the story, but is it true? Perhaps the USMC was designing it's own badge and then decided to use the 'Army' design... you would think that there would be some more history on it out there somewhere.

That has always been the story, but is it true? Perhaps the USMC was designing it's own badge and then decided to use the 'Army' design... you would think that there would be some more history on it out there somewhere.

probably is a proposal document buried in the archieves. trick is waiting for someone to unearth it

Most of the vintage Airborne Marine photographs I have seen the US Army parachutist badge is in wear. I'll have to check but the Navy riggers wore a rigger rating... I don't think the actual gold wings were attapted until 1944.

• 2 weeks later...