T/4 Sgt. Henry D. Padgett

Baker Company

U.S. 832nd Amphibious Group

Vietnam War:

Pvt. Kenneth F. Padgett

Door Gunner, UH-1 Huey

U.S 60th Infantry Regiment

U.S. 9th Infantry Division

Well, these are all the one I can full confirm right off hand right now. There are roughly 40 to 50 names that we have right now that we know are kin that we have yet to confirm whether or not they served in either the U.S. or C.S. militiaries at some time or another.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

My grandfather was in the 2nd Marine Division in WWII, and his oldest brother was in the Army during WWI. On my Mom's side, my grandfather was in the Air Force during the Korean War. They are all I really know about.

As far as older conflicts go, I had a distant relative who was killed by Confederates during the Civil War (he was a civilian) Also had a relative in the war of 1812, but I don't know any specifics. My lineage however can be traced back to the Crusades.

Manchu Warrior

Moms side-

A few privates that fought in the Revolution have the names but have not done the research

Civil War-

Great Great Grand Dad Corporal Co. I 158 NY Infantry enlisted in 1862 Brooklyn, NY Mustered out Richmond, VA 6-30-65

Great Great Grand Dad Captain 22nd PA Cavalry

Great Great Uncle 1st Sergeant 85th PA Infantry contracted Typhoid Fever during Peninsular Campaign died May 30, 1862

Spanish American War-

Great Grand Dad Corporal Coastal Artillery Unit New York City

Korean War-Vietnam-

Uncle ten years in the Navy reenlisted in Army and retired as Sergeant 1st Class

Dads side-

Great Uncle served in US Navy WWII

My Dad was the oldest of many and he was to young for WWII but he was a blacksmith at the Marine Basin in Brooklyn, NY, where as a teenager, he repaired damaged WWII US Navy ships up to the destroyer class.

Had six Uncles, three army three navy, served between Korean and Vietnam War's.

Many members of my fathers family, to numerous to list, were in the Merchant Marines.

As for myself I served just under nine years US Army Infantry four active and just under five years in the National Guard. I may go re-up but I am to old for the infantry and I will go Air Guard. That is if they take me.

Both of my teenage sons are in JRROTC

I like how you southern boys call it the "American War Between the States" rather than the Civil War

:lol: ... Well ya know we like to go against the grain from time-to-time... :lol:

We call it that because essentially that what it was to us(among other VERY colorful names :lol:). However, "The Civil War" is what most northerners call it because during the war that was the Northern governments intent. To overthrow the Confederate government and reestablish the union as a whole. Hence, the webster dictionary listing....

"Civil War: When one or more groups try to overthrown another group or more by force." Dates to the 15th Century.

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Almost forgot these veterans as well....

Dads Side:

American War Between The States:

Pvt. William Search

Company "D"

3rd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

(later transferred to)

Company "D"

45th Pennsylvania Militia

Pvt. Lott Search

Company "D", (Philadelphia Fire Zouaves)

71st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Let's see now, one ancestor in the Revolution. His son was in the War of 1812 and the Texas Revolution (Burleson's 1st Texian Regiment, wounded at San Jacinto). One in the Mexican War. In the War Between the States, I had 19 known Confederates (direct and colateral), and four Yanks. The next up that I know about was one of my grandpa's cousins was in WWI but died in the flu epidemic before he was to ship overseas. During WWII there was two uncles in the Navy and two uncles in the AAF, one being KIA in 1945 (B-24 navigator, 5th Air Force). My Dad was U.S. Army Infantry at the end of WWII. He had one brother killed in a friendly fire accident during the Korean War. I was in the USAF 1966-1970 and USNR 1971-1973.

There are probably others, but I just don't have any information on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dads side:

Sergeant in the 10th Hussars in the British Army, Retired in 1864 after 20 years of service. He definately fought in the crimean war as i have his Turkish Crimean War medal. More than likely was at the Battle of Balaklava. I also have his Good Conduct medal.

Another ancestor fought in the American Revolution for the British in Michigan. He was of French Origin, but they did not like France.

Great Grandfather was in the Canadian Army in WWI, his Brother was also in the Canadian Army in WWI

Great Grandpa's brother in laws, Joe and Tom, were in the US Army in WWI, I have Great uncle Joey's WWI Victory medal, with St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Defensive Sector Bar, and his Army of Occupation medal. Uncle Joey was in I company, 353rd INF Reg, 177th INF BDE, 89th ID.

Grandpa was a Seabee in the Phillipines, 53rd NCB during WWII

Uncle Clarence was a Cav Scout for Pattons 3rd Army

Uncle Paul was a B-25 Pilot, and was shot down over Corsica and was a POW

Uncle Red and Uncle Elmer were in the Army.

Grandpas' brothers son John is a Retired Navy Captain.

Uncle Dennis is USN, was on the USS Bonne Homme Richard CVA-31, 4 cruises to Vietnam

Cousin Paul was a USMC Captain in Vietnam

I am Army, Served In Afghanistan. Im Still in.

Moms Side

Grandpa Prescott was a mechanic for the Flying Tigers

Uncle David was a Truck Driver in the Army. after Basic he was sitting on the Airplane when a CPT got on had everyone count off as a 1 or 2. The Ones went to Vietnam, the Two's went to Germany, Uncle David was a two.

All of my family members who served in the military that I know of were in WWII. On my mothers side my grandfather was on a submarine (Redfin) and my grandmother was in the WAVES. My great uncle and aunt (I think that's what their relation would have been) served in the Army and WAC respectively. On my fathers side my grandfather served in the Coast Guard during WWII and the Navy afterwards. My great uncle was a Marine who served in the Philippines and died in a Japanese prison camp.

• 2 weeks later...
nguoi tien su

One of my great grand father enlisted and served in China from 1900 to 1902 (and was part of the eight nation alliance during the Boxer rebellion). He then was part of the 21st Colonial Regiment (reserve) until the beginning of WWI. He seems to have fought maybe in Argonne and also the Somme (but that has to be confirmed) as part of the 35th RIC (Colonial Infantry Regiment).

In 1916, just after his wedding, he moved to Salonica, north of Greece and Albania. As he spent enough time in the East, he was allowed to come back to France in may 1918. He was then with the 166th Infantry Regiment, and finished the war in this unit in … 1919.

And he stupidly died, falling from a ladder a couple of years later.

One other great grand father, an engineer, was part of the team who created the first French tank, the Saint Chamond. (see below).

char_s10.jpg

One of my grand father was part of the FFI (Force Francaise de l’Interieur, the French resistance against the German). He transmitted the messages. They had very little weapons. Once, with his group, they really tried to go and kick some german rump, but ambushed only an old guy ridding on his bicycle, took his gun and let him go. The D-Day was on his birthday.

Since then… it has been much more quiet!

My father tried Saint Cyr (the French Westpoint), but was not selected at the end of the formation.

I could have been one of the last draftees before the draft was put to an end, but I moved to Vietnam and was considered as a deserter for a few day before the situation was settled and I was thus discharged ! whistling.gif

NTS

hochiminhtrail

My grandfather served with the Kriegsmarine as AA gunner in Brest ( France) on the famous U boat base. He served with the "803 Km Klak Abt" shot down a Lancaster and a Spitfire, ( he recalled that the Spitifre captain was mad because a corporal shot him down).

Later he got captured by Amercians in August 44 in Britany France.

3 years in a french Pow camp were he ate the camp commanders dog, the french camp commander went beserk about his MIA dog.

Cheers

Alex

hochiminhtrail

NTS

so you are the last deserter in VN, i finaly found one naughty.gif

One of my great grand father enlisted and served in China from 1900 to 1902 (and was part of the eight nation alliance during the Boxer rebellion). He then was part of the 21st Colonial Regiment (reserve) until the beginning of WWI. He seems to have fought maybe in Argonne and also the Somme (but that has to be confirmed) as part of the 35th RIC (Colonial Infantry Regiment).

In 1916, just after his wedding, he moved to Salonica, north of Greece and Albania. As he spent enough time in the East, he was allowed to come back to France in may 1918. He was then with the 166th Infantry Regiment, and finished the war in this unit in … 1919.

And he stupidly died, falling from a ladder a couple of years later.

One other great grand father, an engineer, was part of the team who created the first French tank, the Saint Chamond. (see below).

char_s10.jpg

One of my grand father was part of the FFI (Force Francaise de l’Interieur, the French resistance against the German). He transmitted the messages. They had very little weapons. Once, with his group, they really tried to go and kick some german rump, but ambushed only an old guy ridding on his bicycle, took his gun and let him go. The D-Day was on his birthday.

Since then… it has been much more quiet!

My father tried Saint Cyr (the French Westpoint), but was not selected at the end of the formation.

I could have been one of the last draftees before the draft was put to an end, but I moved to Vietnam and was considered as a deserter for a few day before the situation was settled and I was thus discharged ! whistling.gif

NTS

316th FS 324th FG

Dad - Air Force ROTC 1964-65 - medical discharge

Father-in-law - Virginia Tech cadet, couple of years regular Army in the late 50's

Grandfather - Father's side - AAC 1/42 to 1947 - P-47 Pilot 316thFS 324th FG, ETO

Grandfather - Mother's Side - USN 1940 to 1945 - CPO in District Intelligence Office, 6th ND, Charleston SC

Below all on father's side:

GGGGrandfather - Private in Company E, Hobby's Regiment, 8th Texas Infantry, Civil War

GGGrandfather - Mounted messenger, Texas Infantry (not sure which unit), Civil War

GGGGrandfather - Fought in the Brushy Creek and Pecan Bayou fights with the Comanches in Texas, Fought with Houston and Burleson in war for Texas Independence, Blackhawk Wars in Captain Bean's Company.

GGGGGUncle - Battle of San Jacinto, War for Texas Independence

Step GGGGGrandfather - Gordon Jennings, Corporal in the Siege of Bexar in Captain William Carey's Field Artillery Unit, KIA at the Alamo. His brother KIA at Goliad.

GGGGGrandfather - Battle of San Jacinto under Captain Gillespie, Also served under Captain Goheen in the capture of Bexar

1 Great Grandfather served in the second Boar War with the Royal Navy on a Monitor ship and then in WW1 with the RN.

Another Great Grandfather served in the Essex Regt in WW1.

Another Great Grandfather served as an RSM in a Kent Regt in WW1.

Both Grandfather's served in WW2 -one was captured at Dunkirk in 1940 with the Buffs-the other served in the Royal Navy on Arctic convoys and in the Pacific on Aircraft Carriers.

My Father served in the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Anglian Regiment.

My Brother and i both served in the Parachute Regiment, i then served in the Royal Anglian Regiment and my brother recently returned from serving with an Airborne logistics regiment in Afghanistan.

Rich

RANDALL 1953

Mothers Side:

Great Grand Uncle: Immigrated from Russia in 1914. US Army 2nd Infantry Division WW1. Gassed during the war and passed away at 72 years of age.

Fathers Side:

Father: US Army WW11. Combat Engineer. D-Day, Bulge, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria.

Uncle: US Army Pacific

Uncle: US Marines Pacific

• My brother and I were both active duty officers. I was Army, he was USAF
  • My Dad was USAF during the cold war for a few years in the 50s
  • My Grandfather was an artilleryman in WW1
  • My Great Grandfather was a infantryman in the Spanish-American War
  • My Great Great Grandfather was a Confederate cavalryman in the Civil War (My uncle recalled talking with him as a kid in the 1930s)

...and it keeps going back, to 1812, the Revolution, probably back to the English Civil War, I guess....

• 2 weeks later...
Fred Borgmann

Generations of conscripts and tax payers. During WWII my dad was 101st AB while one of his brothers was in a German flak unit, one was in the Afrika Korps and another was in the German inf.,captured and spent some quality time in a POWcamp in Texas. When he got there he was told to notice the lack of fences and then told if he ran away into the desert they wouldn't even bother to look for him. The other thing that impressed him was that he got paid for working. He said he had more freedom as a POW than in the Wehrmacht. The Afrika Korp uncle was wounded and died when the German (hospital?) ship he was on was sunk in the Mediterranean.

ANDREWS

Self: Army, active duty 68-72 incl VN as MACV advisor (Phoenix Program), then USAR/NG to 1996.

Brother: USMA 1962, KIA RVN, 1966 (4-23IN, 25th ID)

Son: After 17 yrs in Army NG Inf, Armor and MI, now a full-time AIR Guardsman, on a tour in Germany as we speak

Father: WWII deferred for job (Air News mag), briefly a LT in Civil Air Patrol

Uncle: Joined Minn NG while still in HS, circa 1932, machinegunner in Inf and briefly in air sqn; publisher of Air News and intermittently a war correspondent in WWII, ostensibly was with Hemingway and partisans in liberation of an Italian village (??) and wounded in air raid on (Foggia?) (and forever bitched about not getting a Purple Heart); was draft-deferred due to age, essential job and dependents.

Grandfather: musician/stretcher bearer, Kansas Vols, Span-Am War (no overseas svc known); later an M.D. civilian employee of Army in Panama, then Indian Agent/Dr. and worked giving draftee physicals at Ft Snelling MN in 1917-1918.

Granduncle: undocumented 3 mo svc in Missouri Militia (Union side, which regt unk), 1861; one year (or more?) in a battalion of Ohio Cavalry formed in St Louis and Illinois; from 1863, 1st Sgt, 116th Ohio VI; lost an arm in The Valley 1864.

HEDDING

Great Grandfather: after being a teamster and wagontrain guide from St Joe to Colorado, fought in Bloody Kansas and (undocumented) transported "Beecher's Bible" Sharps from Massachusetts to KS; after wife died of fever, he returned to his native NY to drop off the kid and enlist in 11th NY Cav, based around Washington, fought on fringes of Antietam; in intensified tng back in DC (near modernday Walter Reed hosp), his horse balked at jumping a fence due to a cat suddenly bolting out of the brush, horse fell and broke both his legs and his saber crushing a knee; after duty as a guard at Pt Lookout MD POW camp, mustered out (as his unit did Gettysburg). (His cousin died at Andersonville, and he married the cousin's widow (my GGM) in 1866. Her ancestors were allegedly in Mass militia and fought at Concord and Bunker Hill -- NFI.) He had hoped to stay in the Regulars, but was permanently crippled and used cane(s) evermore; back in KS he raised and trained sulky racehorses.

CRAIG

Rev War: CPT, 3rd Bn, Lancaster Co militia, fought at Germantown and Brandywine, served in NJ with Gen. Mercer without battle, turned out for crossing the Del and Trenton, but (Cadwalader's Bde) did not make it across; during winter of Valley Forge, was Lancs Co commissary, gathering supplies for VF and taking them there; later moved to SW VA and turned out for and fought at Kings Mtn. (Cousin of his was CPT in 4th Cont Lt Dragoons, after beginning svc in Danl Morgan's rifle bn.)

WORTH

English Civil Wars: Father and older brother of ancestor captured and executed after battle of Plymouth by Cromwell's troops, ancestor and another brother (teenagers) "transported" to New England; they were descended from:

DE PAGANEL:

Battle of Hastings, 1066: One Norman knight, who was descended from a Danish Viking (Rolf) who was in on the Vikings' attack of Paris, which resulted in them settling in Normandy.

My wife's direct ancestor was in 36th Wisc fought at Petersburg (and the Crater) after enlisting as a substitute just after his 18th bday; that guy's older bro was in 2nd Wisc Cav in Arkansas, Tenn, Miss and LA -- incl Grierson's Raid through Miss, and in summer and fall of 1865, in Texas with Custer "chasing Jeff Davis' gold, Maximilian and the bandidos".

ANDREWS

Self: Army, active duty 68-72 incl VN as MACV advisor (Phoenix Program), then USAR/NG to 1996.

Brother: USMA 1962, KIA RVN, 1966 (4-23IN, 25th ID)

Son: After 17 yrs in Army NG Inf, Armor and MI, now a full-time AIR Guardsman, on a tour in Germany as we speak

Father: WWII deferred for job (Air News mag), briefly a LT in Civil Air Patrol

Uncle: Joined Minn NG while still in HS, circa 1932, machinegunner in Inf and briefly in air sqn; publisher of Air News and intermittently a war correspondent in WWII, ostensibly was with Hemingway and partisans in liberation of an Italian village (??) and wounded in air raid on (Foggia?) (and forever bitched about not getting a Purple Heart); was draft-deferred due to age, essential job and dependents.

Grandfather: musician/stretcher bearer, Kansas Vols, Span-Am War (no overseas svc known); later an M.D. civilian employee of Army in Panama, then Indian Agent/Dr. and worked giving draftee physicals at Ft Snelling MN in 1917-1918.

Granduncle: undocumented 3 mo svc in Missouri Militia (Union side, which regt unk), 1861; one year (or more?) in a battalion of Ohio Cavalry formed in St Louis and Illinois; from 1863, 1st Sgt, 116th Ohio VI; lost an arm in The Valley 1864.

HEDDING

Great Grandfather: after being a teamster and wagontrain guide from St Joe to Colorado, fought in Bloody Kansas and (undocumented) transported "Beecher's Bible" Sharps from Massachusetts to KS; after wife died of fever, he returned to his native NY to drop off the kid and enlist in 11th NY Cav, based around Washington, fought on fringes of Antietam; in intensified tng back in DC (near modernday Walter Reed hosp), his horse balked at jumping a fence due to a cat suddenly bolting out of the brush, horse fell and broke both his legs and his saber crushing a knee; after duty as a guard at Pt Lookout MD POW camp, mustered out (as his unit did Gettysburg). (His cousin died at Andersonville, and he married the cousin's widow (my GGM) in 1866. Her ancestors were allegedly in Mass militia and fought at Concord and Bunker Hill -- NFI.) He had hoped to stay in the Regulars, but was permanently crippled and used cane(s) evermore; back in KS he raised and trained sulky racehorses.

CRAIG

Rev War: CPT, 3rd Bn, Lancaster Co militia, fought at Germantown and Brandywine, served in NJ with Gen. Mercer without battle, turned out for crossing the Del and Trenton, but (Cadwalader's Bde) did not make it across; during winter of Valley Forge, was Lancs Co commissary, gathering supplies for VF and taking them there; later moved to SW VA and turned out for and fought at Kings Mtn. (Cousin of his was CPT in 4th Cont Lt Dragoons, after beginning svc in Danl Morgan's rifle bn.)

WORTH

English Civil Wars: Father and older brother of ancestor captured and executed after battle of Plymouth by Cromwell's troops, ancestor and another brother (teenagers) "transported" to New England; they were descended from:

DE PAGANEL:

Battle of Hastings, 1066: One Norman knight, who was descended from a Danish Viking (Rolf) who was in on the Vikings' attack of Paris, which resulted in them settling in Normandy.

My wife's direct ancestor was in 36th Wisc fought at Petersburg (and the Crater) after enlisting as a substitute just after his 18th bday; that guy's older bro was in 2nd Wisc Cav in Arkansas, Tenn, Miss and LA -- incl Grierson's Raid through Miss, and in summer and fall of 1865, in Texas with Custer "chasing Jeff Davis' gold, Maximilian and the bandidos".

wow, some fantastic research was done in order to find all the way back to 1066!

Re "back to 1066": That WORTH line was a complete shock/accident/windfall. For the longest time, the WORTHs were a "brickwall" ending in 1770 NJ. There were too many William WORTHs hanging around. But then another researcher sorted them out from church and land records. Then the trail led back to Mass. in late 1600s. I came across a ref that the two brothers had been BANISHED from Devon due to the English Civil War(s); so I dug around for info on WORTHs then/there and turned over a lucky rock....and that led back to the Norman invasion, etc.

I would make two observations:

1. EVERYBODY has ancestors back in whatever year (pick one). The difference is in the research -- to arrive at knowing who was who, when and where.

2. I have a dau-in-law who is totally unimpressed by genealogy. I researched her families....and she is a descendent of Charlemagne, Charles Martel and Pepin of Italy -- furthest back is Saint Arnulf in 8th century. She is qualified for DAR twice, Colonial Dames twice, Dau of Confederacy four times. Oh yeah and her parents are eighth cousins, their lines merging back in colonial Williamsburg. She is also a teensy bit Amerindian.

BTW Those WORTHs include the man Fort Worth TX, Lake Worth FL and the Chicago suburb of Worth IL are named after -- Wm Jenkins WORTH, a controversial general in the Mex War. No, he is not a DIRECT anc of mine.

Direct on my fathers line.

3rd Great Grandfather fought and died in the Civil War (Southern Side)

Great Grandfather fought in WWI - Lived

Grandfather fought in WWII - Lived (combat engineer European front, 3 bronze battle stars)

Father - fought in Vietnam

I have not been in the military, but I come from a long line of it.

This is just my fathers linage.

Thanks

Chad

Well, I don't have many impressive folks, but here's a few...

-My father's side can trace their lineage back through to Gustavus Adolphus, King of Sweden, who came to Germany to fight during the 100 Year War. He was killed there, but a son stayed in Germany and had settled...thus creating my g-g-g-something-grandfather...

-On my mother's side, the farthest back they go is to a Dutch naval officer who served in Napoleon's fleet. My mom's cousins still have his St Helena medal and transmittal documents to go along with it.

Of more recent times though, no one that I am directly related to fought in our Revolutionary War, Civil War or Span-Am War, or even WW1...my grandmother's stepfather was a medic in the Austrian Hussars who came to America in 1912 because he "knew a war was going to happen".

During WW2, my mom's dad served as a fire protection engineer for Lockheed in their manufacturing plants, but both of his brothers served in the military: One died as a test pilot in 1936 while working a "side job" back when the USAAC didn't have enough money to pay their pilots, and the other graduated from USMA in 1938, rising to the rank of full Colonel by November 1944, and commanding the 40th Bomb Group (H) from January 1945 onwards. He later retired as a Brigadier General, after spending 20 years as a Colonel (who can complain?) serving in various capacities, but most notably as the Air Attache to Peru, Mexico and Great Britain.

On my father's side, his father volunteered for EVERY branch of the US military as well as the French Foreign Legion in 1941, but no one wanted a 35+ year old man with a kid. So, he became an engineer for the Department of the Navy and during WW2 was on the team that corrected our frequent dud torpedoes, and later was one of the primary developers of the Sidewinder missile. He retired from the Department of the Navy in the late 60s. My dad served in the Navy from 1955 to 1959 as an electrionic technician, leaving the service as a first class petty officer.

My dad's stepdad served in the Navy from 1924 through 1954, and retired as a CWO4 (electrical). He was torpedoed on the USS WASP in 1942 and nearly went down with the ship, but still spent a year in hospital recovering from his wounds (never recieved a PH though). His son (my dad's stepbrother) served in the Navy as a reservist in the early 60s until he died in a motorcycle accident.

And me...been in the Navy since 1998...as well as my wife. ;) (She was discharged in 2000 though.)

Good times...

Dave

Me- 21years split between active duty Army/TXARNG

Dad-draftee, U.S. Army Combat Engineer 1959-61 (He hated ecery minute of it!)

Uncle (Father's brother) U.S. Navy Aircraft Engine Mechanic (never left Beeville, TX)

Uncle ( Mother's brother) U.S. Army for 3 years

Paternal Grandfather U. S. Army drafted in 1944 @ the age of 37, stationed at Ft. Leavenworth, KN

Maternal Great Uncle Navy WW II

Various relatives on mother's side fought in the War of Northern Aggression ( can you guess on which side think.gif:lol: )

A great great on my mom's side fought with Nelson at Trafalgar.

Me, I was an overbearing Drill Sergeant to my two younger siblings until they were wise enough to figure out that if they attacked in tandem they could usually overwhelm me...made for great fun.