USMC Field Jacket

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

I would like to get an ID on this jacket. Model number, period of usage, etc. I have had the jacket since the early to mid 1980's and have never seen another like it. I have an opinion on the jacket but will reserve comment as I do not want to influence what others may think or know about it.

post-5-1201814195.jpg

post-5-1201814202.jpg

post-5-1201814207.jpg

post-5-1201814214.jpg

post-5-1201814220.jpg

Hi Craig,

Unless I am missing something, it looks like the standard Navy issue version of the m41 field jacket. (Cant recall what the exact term the Navy used). I normally expect to see the Army m41 jacket in use by Marines, but there are always exceptions. It is not common to see any of these jackets with insignia on them, but it was done.

Whatever, it seems to have had little use. Is there some secret here that I am missing?

CB

Salvage Sailor

Craig, Do the interior of the cuffs have elastic or webbing?

It looks very much like the USN jacket I wore except:

1) The cuffs & hem don't look right

2) On my USN jacket(s) there is no 'belt' on the back

Otherwise, style, zipper, buttons, & material all says USN type.

The early WWII Navy olive drab deck jackets had the belt on the back and were similar to the M41 field jackets. I could easily see these being worn by Marines in ship detachments.

deck0711.jpg

deck0711back.jpg

deck0711label.jpg

Well, the jacket appears to be standard Navy issue as mentioned, so is it the patches? The 3rd MarDiv was on Iwo, which is one of the few places these jackets were worn, but they were mostly Army jackets and certainly not with the rank and patches on them! This jacket is in much too nice condition to have been worn in any combat situation. The only place rank and patches were to be occaisionaly seen on these was occupation duty in Japan, which the 3rd did not do as it was disbanded on Guam in dec. 45.

So no way of knowing when the patches were put on, but as always, it is possible that some six striper had one decked out nonetheless.

CB

craig_pickrall

Thank you all for your responces. I did not think this jacket was old enough to ever have had patches on it. The one jacket label with the contract number dates to OCT / DEC, 1944 however. It is possible my jacket is legit. I got it from a dealer but it has been so long that I don't remember who it was. Mine is like the 1944 dated jacket except that it doesn't have the USN stamp. Is there any chance the Marines had some of these made and that would explain why there is no USN on it?

Is there any chance the Marines had some of these made and that would explain why there is no USN on it?

Which raises the question: did Marines on ship detachments use or outerwear? Standard cotton field jackets just would not work when going on deck in cold weather at sea.

Greg Robinson
Thank you all for your responces. I did not think this jacket was old enough to ever have had patches on it. The one jacket label with the contract number dates to OCT / DEC, 1944 however. It is possible my jacket is legit. I got it from a dealer but it has been so long that I don't remember who it was. Mine is like the 1944 dated jacket except that it doesn't have the USN stamp. Is there any chance the Marines had some of these made and that would explain why there is no USN on it?

The standard issue field jacket for the Marines in WW2 was the Army M1941. And I don't think they got those until later in the war. Could they have purchased some of the Navy pattern jackets made w/o the "USN"? I'm not familiar with them but then I've learned to never say never in this hobby. It would appear that's what you have.

Greg

The standard issue field jacket for the Marines in WW2 was the Army M1941. And I don't think they got those until later in the war. Could they have purchased some of the Navy pattern jackets made w/o the "USN"? I'm not familiar with them but then I've learned to never say never in this hobby. It would appear that's what you have.

Greg

The Marines had no field jackets of their own as far as is known. Sometimes the Navy issue was not stenciled. As mentioned, the Marines did procure m41 jackets from the Army, and some most likely got their hands on some of the Navy issue ones.

The 2nd MarDiv and many other IMAC units received m41 jackets in New Zealand or Australia in late 42 and early 43, so they had them since the early days. Of course no shoulder patches were worn.

CB

Hi, I hope I'm not way off base here, but the two Marines in this photo seem to be wearing the same style coat this thread is all about. My photo was taken in Tsingtao, China post-war of MP's on liberty. The photo is undated, but has to be circa winter 1945 to Mar. 1946. Best wishes, Jim

post-397-1201888042.jpg

craig_pickrall

Here are some pics showing Marines in M41 Jackets with both rank insignia and shoulder sleeve insignia. Most of these are late or post war / occupation period.

post-5-1201893647.jpg

post-5-1201893652.jpg

post-5-1201893658.jpg

post-5-1201893663.jpg

Jim the pic you show is for the khaki shade 3 Army M41. You can tell this because of the epaulets. I have been looking for a long time for a Marine wearing one of the Navy jackets. So far no luck. I'm sure somebody somewhere did it but it would make me feel a lot better about the one I posted if I could see a confirming pic.

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I think the insignia on the jacket was most likely done after hostilities had ended, look at the pictures above. Insignia of field jackets was popular during occupation. That doesn't mean it isn't legitimate but I don't think it was done before Iwo, see if you can turn up any pictures of 3rd division Marines wearing M41s. As previously mentioned Marines were issued Army M41s and in combat they did not wear insignia on them. Army M41s were common as early as 1943 with rank insignia, but without division patches in the 2nd division which was universally issued them. There were no division patches on their jackets because the 2nd didn't have division patches until after Tarawa or Saipan. Rank was worn on 2nd division jackets by NCOs as early as New Zealand (on the left sleeve, rarely on both). The only time they would have worn them in combat was were the 8th Marines on Okinawa and pictures are hard to find of them there.

2nd Marine division, note NCOs with left sleeve insignia, except for first row farthest to the right.

2ndMarDivMortarPlt.jpg

Here is a picture of 2nd division Marines on Okinawa supposedly, note division patch

2ndDivM41Okinawa.jpg

Armed 2 tha Teeth
date unknown, probably postwar, intersting variety of jacket patterns, not all are M41 type.

JAROSLAV

post-31-1201894835.jpg

That picture of from the same set as the one I posted, the above is of officers of the 2nd Marine division in New Zealand 1943. Some are wearing Navy flight jackets and one has a tanker. Infact the one wearing the tanker looks as though he has stenciled a "USMC" and EGA on it, similar to a utility jacket.

I'm posting this shot again, didn't get a response on another forum, still curious if these jackets are Army or Navy, I'm guessing Army.

post-1414-1201916784.jpg