US $1 Bill signed by Marine in Australia

Mr-X

Hi,

I bought this in a junk shop about 10 years ago.

It is a 1935 Silver Certificate 1 Dollar bill that a Marine has written his address on.

Persumable to give to a girl.

I live in Melbourne Australia and that is where I found the Bill.

As you all know the 1st Marine Division wa station in Melbourne (starting late Jan or early Feb 1943) after the Guadalcanal camapign.

I had the pleasure to know and interview a 1st Division Marine who immigrated to Australian after the war to marry a woman he met here. There was enough of them that they had their own association.

Can anyone tell me more about this Marine?

The information on the 1 Dollar Bill is:

Left Front:

Joseph Carl Dusina

Box 246

LYNCH. KENTUCKY

USMC USA

Right Front:

1st Marines

FMF

USMC

Rear:

Feb 7th 1943

uniforms078.jpg

uniforms079.jpg

Howdy Down Under, Mr. X

I just got off the phone with Joe Dusina, late of Lynch, Ky and Easy Co, 2nd Bn, 1st Marine Regt. 1st Mar Div. He was outside shoveling snow in Denver, Co when I called. He'll be 88 in May! God Bess Him! A very sharp fellow, he doesn't recall the bill but it was him, in Melbourne in 1943. I'm sending you a PM with his EMail address. He'd love to hear from you.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

G'day Bobgee,

you work quick w00t.gif

That is truly amazing. You are blowing my mind.

How do you know Joe?

Leigh

G'day Bobgee,

you work quick w00t.gif

That is truly amazing. You are blowing my mind.

How do you know Joe?

Leigh

Don't know him. Looked him up on Ancestry.Com. Unusual name. There he was! So I called him.

Enjoy.....Bobgee

IMPERIAL QUEST
Howdy Down Under, Mr. X

I just got off the phone with Joe Dusina, late of Lynch, Ky and Easy Co, 2nd Bn, 1st Marine Regt. 1st Mar Div. He was outside shoveling snow in Denver, Co when I called. He'll be 88 in May! God Bess Him! A very sharp fellow, he doesn't recall the bill but it was him, in Melbourne in 1943. I'm sending you a PM with his EMail address. He'd love to hear from you.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Wow...incredible. thumbsup.gif Mr. X, please update us.

• 2 weeks later...

All, I am so very proud to be the son of the Marine on the silver certificate. I am happy to report that my dad, Joe, is alive and well and still kicking at 87.

My dad came down with malaria while vacationing with the 1st Marine Division at all of Guadalcanal’s resorts and hot spots during WWII (I heard the food was fabulous—especially after they were left for dead and their rations ran out). He was taken to a hospital in Melbourne and most likely, the nurses had him put his name and information on a bill in his wallet before taking it from him for safe keeping—in case he didn’t make it. He does recall them taking his wallet each time he checked in, but he was so delirious that he has no recollection of writing on the bill. But, it is most definitely his hand writing (my heart stopped when I saw his unique printing on that bill).

After the war, he became an engineer and continued serving by helping Martin Marietta develop the early ICBM systems (a little more sophisticated than his M1!)

This is truly amazing; the internet bringing an answer to a mystery written 65 years ago.