Photo

EBAY auction: Pre WW1 era USMC Marine Officers Bell Crown Visor Hat AKA: Barracks Cover for the Blues

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
59 replies to this topic

#51 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:52 PM

Andrea VanValkenburg (of the Press Republican) will have quite another story to tell, who wants to send her this link to the thread?

#52 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:02 AM

All I can say is, WOW! Like I said, he is desperate. He was probably trying to pay legal fees with his last bid of fraud. I never wanted to be the guy to burst his bubble about his "Dan Daly" cap, he was so proud of that fake thing. Anyone remember his claims about that cap?

Is ADMIN going to start doing yahoo searches on everyone's name? Bob, if you find anything on me, I swear there must be someone else by the same name who collects militaria and who is a Marine! It wasn't me.

Mike

Actually we do a google search for every new request for membership but that only keeps out the obvious freaks.

I don't want anyone on this forum to be shy about being a critic of any militaria posted here or elsewhere. When the criticism is about the things and not the collectors, it does the hobby a lot of good and helps weed out the fakers earlier in the game.

That "Daly" cap shows up here: http://www.usmilitar...d...post&p=6689 - I labeled it as a fake tonight but any additional comments would be welcome there :) He first posted it here: http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=3011

In that same thread he has some of the old SAW campaign hats and I assume those are bogus. He just sold one on ebay for a lot of money and of course the listing said he knew nothing about militaria from that era.

We now have to go back through all 547 of his posts and start to edit or weed out the fake stuff - I'm already tired just thinking about it.

#53 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:07 AM

Andrea VanValkenburg (of the Press Republican) will have quite another story to tell, who wants to send her this link to the thread?

Earlier tonight I sent her, the museum director and ebay's fraud section a very long summary of what have learned as well as links to this thread. It had been a fun Saturday http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/crying.gif

#54 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:37 AM

About his posts and items, I bit my tongue on nearly every one. It appeared that everything he had that was real, was messed with, or it was just outright fantasy. Sorry I never said anything. I had hit him pretty hard on another forum about using pictures from my E-bay auctions in his posts as his own. By hitting him again, I didn't want it to seem that I was picking on him, especially when he was so proud of his stuff. I just figured the guy really had no clue, but it turns out, he was making it all. He obviously has a problem.

I hate to keep jumping on a guy when he is down but I found this interesting. The first pic is of a suitcase DD1900 posted on his Dan Daly cap thread. The second is his canteen that was on E-bay as of today. Anyone recognize the similar stencils?

I wonder how long the shenanigans went on?

Mike

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/usmcaviator/post-156-1171818009.jpg
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f63/usmcaviator/post-1-1202009006.jpg

#55 TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 2,438
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:30 AM

This is "DevilDan1900." A friend of mine set up an account so I could rebuttal this nonsense before it goes any further, as I have not been online in a while and just recently become aware of this article. What kind of a witch hunt are you people on in here anyway??? Without even asking me what had taken place, suddenly you're judge and jury?? First off, I would like to say that the ebay account is not in my name, nor is it even mine. It belongs to a girl I know who buys and sells items for me from time to time, as well as herself and others in the area. Hence the part on the auctions about her "not being a collector," as well as the name "Germanpink." I understand she has been treated very harshly via e-mail by some of the members on this forum during this debacle. The items in question were dropped off by me to her with the understanding that they were to be listed in the "reproductions" section, for use by reenactors, living historians, etc as I am a reenactor. While I was out of contact with her, and due to her inexperience, they were mistakenly listed in the "original" category, which is a very simple mistake anyone in here could make. To me and any other collectors, these pieces are obviously reproductions, nothing that was ever made or ever meant to pass as a real item. When she informed me as to what was happening and I eventually found the mistake, the auctions were immediately pulled and the bidders informed of what had happened. As for the skeleton in my closet that you have dredged up, that is my burden to bear. I made an exceptionally stupid and far reaching mistake last summer for which I am now humbly trying to repay to society. You may also note that every last piece from the museum in question was returned, by me, to it's rightful owners. That very regretable chapter of my life has, however, been resolved. I had never been in trouble with the law in my life prior to this instance. What you people have done to me in here tonight is unspeakable, it's like a mob mentality, each one feeding off the next, I mean, you contacted the newspaper??? I am a human being, do you have any idea what you have done to me over a simple mistake??? What you have likely done to my friend's ebay account??? I cannot even fathom how you people have literally made me a target for everything you despise about the collecting world, especially when this whole thing has snowballed basically over a wrong click of the mouse. No one was hurt here, but yet, you gentlemen have taken it upon yourselves to try to do God knows what. What you do on the internet effects real people, real lives besides your own. Why didn't anyone simply try to talk to me about this? All I can say is that I am at a loss, I know you are all very, very good people, but I don't know how you can justify this. This forum kept me occupied when I truly had nothing else of value in my life and for what it's worth, I am truly sorry for this unfortunate turn of events.

#56 Leatherneck72

Leatherneck72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,737
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:04 AM

DevilDan,

Once again, it appears that you are trying to rationalize your mistakes because ONCE AGAIN, you got caught. You show a clear pattern of posting fake USMC items, (most all you posted is laughable to true USMC collectors) you scammed the museum (dude....you plead guilty....you couldn't help yourself around all the "cool" stuff) and then you tried to fence your humped up items through a friend. The only person who needs to make an apology is you for dragging someone else into your tangled web of deception. Don't be mad at the guys on the forum, all they did was bring it to light.

I never use the little face things but this deserves one. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif

#57 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:58 AM

Wow, what a dance!

This guy was pulling another con, and he got caught. The story is convenient, and it makes no sense when you look at all of the evidence. I spoke (nicely) to the person on the other end of the "germannpinkk" E-bay handle. Whoever it was, spoke as if they acquired the hat. There was no "It's not mine. I'm selling it for a friend. I don't know. I will get back to you." The hat and other pieces were listed with full intent to defraud, until he got caught. This guy has become entangled in his own lies and can't keep them all straight.

"I was going to give the money to the museum" and "they were mistakenly listed in the original category" sounds like the same BS. His regret only stems from being caught. He needs to tell his sorry excuse to his probation officer.

#58 ADMIN

ADMIN

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 03:14 PM

Just for those who have been notified of this thread, the canteen for sale on ebay is also bogus and the user Matthew Boire was aware of that fact before listing it.

Here is additional information about that canteen:

http://www.usmilitar...mp;#entry101805

#59 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,681 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:18 AM

boiresentenced.jpg

#60 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,558 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:03 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage and further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users