• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Insigina Hunter

Insigina Hunter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 14,003
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

I am an avid collector of luxenberg insignias and before this week I've only had two chances to own general stars made by luxenberg. I thought this was going to be my lucky week as there were 3 listed on ebay by the seller gwhistorian. Unfortunatly he ended all 3 auctions early and canceled the bids. I'm hoping he canceled them for other reasons besideds someone offered him money outside of ebay (unfortunatly I think that is exactly what happened). I dont believe I have had any dealings with this seller before but if anyone has, is he known for doing this?

Lastly if anyone here has some luxenberg marked insignias I would be very interested in buying them (no repo's please)

#2 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

I am an avid collector of luxenberg insignias and before this week I've only had two chances to own general stars made by luxenberg. I thought this was going to be my lucky week as there were 3 listed on ebay by the seller gwhistorian. Unfortunatly he ended all 3 auctions early and canceled the bids. I'm hoping he canceled them for other reasons besideds someone offered him money outside of ebay (unfortunatly I think that is exactly what happened). I dont believe I have had any dealings with this seller before but if anyone has, is he known for doing this?

Lastly if anyone here has some luxenberg marked insignias I would be very interested in buying them (no repo's please)

I was once watching a stunning 7th ID Korean War uniform that I fell in love with....gwhistorian was the seller and he DID end the auction early. I confronted him about it as I had placed a high bid and he said he'd gotten an offer outside of the auction for X amount of dollars. I was pretty bummed and said I'd never buy from him again...or try to. Until he listed another gorgeous KW uniform that I did end up winning. So I dunno....he's alright I guess. Really good items but you never know if the auction will run its course.

Sorry to hear you missed out on the General stars...

Rob

#3 buddycash

buddycash
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,658
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I have done a lot of business with Craig and never had the slightest of problems with anything like this.

#4 Shenkursk

Shenkursk

MODERATOR / SPONSOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 183
  • 980 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

I can certainly understand where he is coming from - you just don't know what these auctions will do, and a bird in the hand sure beats only one 'sniper' hiding in the bush. Whenever we run regular stock through ebay, for every $20 piece of crap that we sell for $50+, there seem to be an uncomfortable number of $200+ items that we ship out for 'winning' bids like $24.06. We always let the auction run, but when someone makes a serious offer, this is what is running through my mind, anyway, and it is sometimes very tempting.

HOWEVER, that practice may be a bit more curtailed in the near future. eBay's rules are changing yet again, and sellers who end auctions early that have bids on them will be assessed the eBay fees that would have been charged had the auction sold for the current high bid. It certainly won't end the practice, since the high bid will in theory usually be far less than the offer that is accepted to end the auction, but it is one more roadblock that may make sellers think twice about ending auctions.

I make no secret of the fact that I enjoy eBay as a buyer, but thoroughly DESPISE it as a seller. In this case, though, I have to agree with them 100%. They built the site and the business, and though their practices and decisions are often a bit kooky, especially in relation to militaria, they have earned the right to collect their fees and commissions from these listings.

So, I suppose the lesson for us as buyers is that going forward, we should think about making an early bid on items that we really want, even if we plan to do the sniper thing at the last moment. This will at least make it just a bit less likely that the seller will end the sale. Seeing some early interest and activity is also bound to reassure the seller that he is more likely to get something approaching a reasonable price for the item, rather than watch it end at a disappointing number.

Sorry you missed those Lux stars! Don't worry - another set will come around.

#5 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

J.......
I always enjoy your levelheaded approach, you keep we emotional types in balance! :lol:

#6 manayunkman

manayunkman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 51,189
  • 14,182 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

You can get banned from ebay by closing auctions early.

It is against the rules to end an auction with a bid.

#7 Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 21,147
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

The only time (twice) that I've ended auctions on there is when I've decided to keep an item in the collection. Other than that, let it roll! I'm all for blocking sniping software too, even though I've used it in the past. Now, I just put in the max that I'm willing to pay for something, if I get it, great, if not, well that's ok too, it isn't the end of the world, just one less thing that I most likely don't need in this hobby, (then again, with the cloth alone I'm starting to think I've crossed into hoarding, but I research everything that I possibly can, so it isn't hoarding, right? LOL) And, now, my son has pretty much taken over, so I'm not as active in acquiring as I once was.

I know we have all been anywhere from disappointed to torqued when someone ends an auction early, but at the end of the day, it is the sellers item, and it is their right to do with it as they may. In my book, not always the most ethical thing to do, but still.........

John

#8 Mr-X

Mr-X
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,389
  • 4,640 posts
  • Location:The Central Highland's of Victoria, Australia - Uc Dai Loi

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

You can get banned from ebay by closing auctions early.

It is against the rules to end an auction with a bid.

I thought you could end an auction early provided it had more than 24 hours to go. If it has less than 24 hours and a bid you can not end the listing. However, I may be out of date with my information.

#9 dskjl

dskjl
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,016
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:21 PM

This eBay seller gwhistorian has several items listed currently with stamped rim medals and a DFC that just don’t look right to me. Maybe I’m just overly cautious so I will leave judgement to the experts. He does have a very fair return policy which suggests he is a fair and reasonable dealer.

#10 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 7,278 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:12 AM

I think gwhistorian is a member on . Maybe he'll chime in

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#11 dskjl

dskjl
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,016
  • 5,347 posts

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

This DSC numbering just doesn’t look right to me. Thoughts?
https://www.ebay.com...=item522413761f

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users