U.S.M.C. Civil War Campaign Medal

Jack's Son

I thought the medals were incredible by itself, but finding the supporting documentation is simply unbelievable. I'm sure you will have everyone here drooling for a while.

Truly stunning, and what a tremendous effort at documenting.

On a semi-related note, why the jump in the medal numbers from 49 to 51. Any idea what happened to number 50?

Well done sir!

Super Cool! The brooch looks original to the medal, must be tempting to re-ribbon.

Dexter,

I'm looking for the proper original ribbon type, but even if I finally get one, I don't know if I can bring myself to re-ribbon it. If I do, the current ribbon will stay with the medal as it is a big part of the history.

On a semi-related note, why the jump in the medal numbers from 49 to 51. Any idea what happened to number 50?

Medals 1-50 were issued in the first group, medals 51-100 were issued in the second group. There was no jump in the numbering. The manifest pictured was for the second lot of medals..... Beginning with mine#51.

Dexter,

I'm looking for the proper original ribbon type, but even if I finally get one, I don't know if I can bring myself to re-ribbon it. If I do, the current ribbon will stay with the medal as it is a big part of the history.

Robin-

No doubt it's the way the old vet wore it. Keep it as is!

Kurt

JS - Great paper trail on this outstandingly RARE U.S. Medal. THIS receipt, IMHO, is THE definitive document in hanging this exact medal, #51, on Leslie's chest. Thanks more posting. Semper Fi.......Bobgee

This was a highlite for me as well, Bob!

As you said.....nothing plants this medal on Leslie's chest like that receipt ! :thumbsup:

Robin-

No doubt it's the way the old vet wore it. Keep it as is!

Kurt

Kurt,

The longer I've looked at it, the less I've thought of changing it.

In my heart of hearts.....I know I won't. ;)

MORE...

post-8213-1343800196.jpg post-8213-1343800202.jpg

Robin;

I am talking about this list. #'s 45-49 are identified by recipient. #'s 51- 53 are identified by recipient. What happened to #50. Not awarded? Recipient unknown?

45 - Hollingsworth

46 - Craft

47 - Kirk

48 - Barr

49 - Thompson

50 - ????

51 - Leslie

52 - McElmeel

53 - Pepper

Thoughts?

Robin;

I am talking about this list. #'s 45-49 are identified by recipient. #'s 51- 53 are identified by recipient. What happened to #50. Not awarded? Recipient unknown?

45 - Hollingsworth

46 - Craft

47 - Kirk

48 - Barr

49 - Thompson

50 - ????

51 - Leslie

52 - McElmeel

53 - Pepper

Thoughts?

I see your point.....

The number list I have is only the numbers 1-105, but there is a break at numbers 50 and 100. Perhaps there are also breaks at 150 and 200?? :think:

I see your point.....

The number list I have is only the numbers 1-105, but there is a break at numbers 50 and 100. Perhaps there are also breaks at 150 and 200?? :think:

Yet another mystery..... :)

Well, its official, I give up you win you are number one and I am a loser. I give up, and am ending my militaira collecting career; really what’s the point, you have two holy grails and I am man enough to admit when I am bested by a better man. My collection pales by comparison. You sir have all the marbles.

I would relinquish my man card to you but my wife has it in her purse and is out on the town tonight with her girlfriends, while I have once again stayed home to do the dishes, laundry, and feed the kids she assures me are mine.

Nice find and great research, well done my friend.

"emccomas" has a good point.....why are there gaps in the issuing of the medals #50 and #100 ?

Does anyone venture a guess?? I'm sure our member Adam R will have the answer, but he's seldom on anymore. Perhaps Kurt can helps us contact Adam?

Robin;

I am talking about this list.  #'s 45-49 are identified by recipient.  #'s 51- 53 are identified by recipient.  What happened to #50.  Not awarded?  Recipient unknown?

45 - Hollingsworth

46 - Craft

47 - Kirk

48 - Barr

49 - Thompson

50 - ????

51 - Leslie

52 - McElmeel

53 - Pepper

Thoughts?

I see your point.....

Yet another mystery..... :)

I would relinquish my man card to you but my wife has it in her purse and is out on the town tonight with her girlfriends, while I have once again stayed home to do the dishes, laundry, and feed the kids she assures me are mine.

This reply cannot go unnoticed!! Perhaps the funniest ever on the forum!! :lol: :laughing1:

I believe the the existing list of USMC Civil War medal numbers was put together by Colonel Gleim. I recall him telling me that he pulled every Civil War USMC record and checked for the medal receipt. By doing that, he was able to attach a name to most of the 200 or so medal #'s. I think the gaps in numbering are the result of Colonel Gleim not finding a medal receipt for the number, rather than the medal never having been awarded. When I first obtained a CW USMC Campaign Medal, it was in one of the gaps. Some time later, Colonel Gleim found a medal receipt for it (#123) in a Civil War USMC record.

Thank you, Kurt!

Assuming that you still have the medal, that accounts for three of the known medals held by forum members!! :thumbsup:

Any others.....??

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JS,

I remember when we all watched the sale of this medal group a while back, but I missed this posting must be getting old :excl:B) Thanks for posting it and the documentation of it, quite the rare hens tooth I must say ;) . I truly enjoy your posting.

Regards,

John

The USMC Civil War medal roll was compiled from two different sources in the National Archives. Both are part of Record Group 127 – Records of the Marine Corps. Recipient names for the lower numbered medals were extracted (by Dave Shores) from Entry 106. This is a large ledger book in which the issue of many of the early campaign medals were recorded up to about 1910.

A few years before his death Colonel Gleim was able to considerably expand this list by extracting additional numbers from the USMC personnel files of enlisted men that are also stored at the Archives in Washington. These consist of files on men who received their final discharge prior to 1905, which includes almost all of the Civil War vets. These records are Entry 76.

Where there are gaps in the medal roll it doesn’t necessarily mean that the medal wasn’t issued; it’s most likely because the record of issue was misfiled or otherwise lost. It’s also possible that gaps in the rolls indicate medals that were issued for display purposes.

I used to own USMC CW # 165. It’s not listed in the ledger book because it was issued after 1910 however Gleim was eventually able attribute it when he came across the transmittal letter in a personnel file in Entry 76. The receipt for Robin’s (Jack’s Son’s) medal also came from the recipient’s personnel file in Entry 76.

I should add that the issue card that is signed by Andrew Leslie for Medal number 51, was obtained through the courtesy of Adam!! This man's knowledge and generosity know no bounds!!!! :)

Thanks for the plug. I'm always happy to help out where I can. It's a pleasure to assist in documenting such an important medal.