Gold Star Mothers medal group

Fred Borgmann

Fred Borgmann

Not sure this is in the correct section but atleast it is not too German. All I can figure out from the group is that the original owner went on one of the pilgrimages, was from Wisconsin and was a good shot. Anyone seen any other groups like this?

post-591-1201649778.jpg

It is certainly an interesting group like that Fred! I have never seen or heard of a Gold Star Pilgrimage medal being bar mounted like that, and I see that the ribbon on it is not the "correct", i.e. original one either I don't think; I have a boxed one and the color arrangement and size is all different and I know mine is original as made.

A couple possibilities come to mind...

1. The medals all belonged to the same family and someone in the family mounted them up and wore them or displayed them like they are now

2. Theatrical type use at some point in their life???

Got me, like I said, interesting too see them like that!

By the way, what is the center medal??

MW

Fred Borgmann
It is certainly an interesting group like that Fred! I have never seen or heard of a Gold Star Pilgrimage medal being bar mounted like that, and I see that the ribbon on it is not the "correct", i.e. original one either I don't think; I have a boxed one and the color arrangement and size is all different and I know mine is original as made.

A couple possibilities come to mind...

1. The medals all belonged to the same family and someone in the family mounted them up and wore them or displayed them like they are now

2. Theatrical type use at some point in their life???

Got me, like I said, interesting too see them like that!

By the way, what is the center medal??

MW

Thanks MW, the center medal is a 4 leaf clover with the Wisconsin State seal or arms. Like you said it is a most interesting group. Fred

Fred,

This is an interesting medal bar. Quite a mix that must have meant something to the wearer. I have not seen anything like this before either. How is it constructed? Can we see the back?

Fred Borgmann
Fred,

This is an interesting medal bar. Quite a mix that must have meant something to the wearer. I have not seen anything like this before either. How is it constructed? Can we see the back?

Thanks Sarge. It looks like the entire group is mounted on one of those metal braces used to slide the ribbon bars on to. The brace is covered with white cloth, then slid through the ribbons and sewn to it and then a black cloth was sewn on the back. The shooting medal has a tiny "B B & B" (Bailey Banks and Biddle) and the rest are totally blank. The entire assembly is 4.25 inches wide. This group came out of an old Wisconsin collection so I suspect it was found a Wisconsin estate and that the original owner only went to Florida to compete in the 1924 Rifle match.

post-591-1201758979.jpg