Anybody Like WWII Generals and FDR?

devincu

Purchased a box of WWII photos and this is what it had in it :w00t: I couldn't believe it!!! These are original war time glossy photos from a vet in the AAF that was stationed in Casa Blanca during the war. There is a very nice 8x10 of F.D.R. and several 5x4 photos of several war time Generals. Some of these have writing on the back telling who they are but some do not. Wish there were a few more of Patton but I am not complaining! :rolleyes:

post-59872-1343684959.jpg

Those are some great photos.

It is amazing how much is still out there.

Thanks I was pretty shocked to find so much brass in one place. The back of the photo of FDR and the 3rd Army vet says Sicily - 1943 so I am thinking it must have been right after the invasion!!

Some of these may have been taken when FDR arrived in Morocco by ship on 14 Jan 1943 for the Casablanca Conference.  He got to the airfield by car and was met by Brig. Gen. C. R. Smith, ATC with two C-54s planes to fly him to Casablanca.  Smith might be the BG in a few of these?

Photo 2 shows Eisenhower behind FDR.

Photos 4, 10, and 11 were likely taken on 18 Jan 1943 when FDR inspected the 30th Infantry.  The officer could be Lt. Col. C. E. Johnson, the CO of the Third Battalion (they provided the honor guard).

Photo 7 shows FDR decorating Lt. Gen. Mark Clark.

Photo 8 (right) could be Adm. King with Lt. Gen. Clark, but other photos from Casablanca don’t show him wearing the aiguillette.

Photos 3 and 6 that show Patton are taken a few months later.  In photo 3 he has taken command of 7th Army, likely in June or early July just before the invasion of Sicily.  Mark Clark is on his right.  Interestingly, Patton’s hat appears to have a newly added third star, though he was promoted to that rank when he took over II Corps in March 1943.

Well turns out that I was in such a hurry to get the pictures posted I forgot to look at the backs of them. After several PM's asking if there was anything on the backs I will post the picture first and the the writing. Starting with #1

post-59872-1344275928.jpg