when did OTV's start containing Twaron?

seniorElMeowMeow

seniorElMeowMeow

i have an interceptor from 2003 that contains 28 layers of km2, and all the ones I've checked that were made post 2006 contain 8 layers of twaron (generic version of kevlar) 18 layers of km2, then another 8 layers of Twaron. this means they replaced 10 layers of km2 with 16 layers of a cheaper, weaker ballistic fiber. The newer panels are defiantly thicker, I need to break out the 3 beam balance to see if they weigh more, and although twaron is more flexible i doubt having 6 extra layers could make the panels more flexible. I'm thinking this was done by contractors to save money, by delivering a slightly heavier vest with equivalent protection.

I cannot speak intelligently on the OTV, but I do know that aviation armor was increased in the number of layers due to the higher velocities of the shrapnel that aviation was likely to encounter. This started with the AIRSAVE armor. It is a possibility and just an educated guess, but maybe with the increase in size and power of the IEDs being encountered and with the EFPs that were starting to come around, this was a change to handle those levels of kinetic energy. Again, just an educated guess.

On another note, based on what I know about military contracting, the company did not simply decide to change the contract agreement, this was probably a agreed upon decision based on both the contractor and the government. So, I would assume that there is an engineering reason for said change.

i have an interceptor from 2003 that contains 28 layers of km2, and all the ones I've checked that were made post 2006 contain 8 layers of twaron (generic version of kevlar) 18 layers of km2, then another 8 layers of Twaron. this means they replaced 10 layers of km2 with 16 layers of a cheaper, weaker ballistic fiber. The newer panels are defiantly thicker, I need to break out the 3 beam balance to see if they weigh more, and although twaron is more flexible i doubt having 6 extra layers could make the panels more flexible. I'm thinking this was done by contractors to save money, by delivering a slightly heavier vest with equivalent protection.

Ummm.....huh? ;)

How do you guys find out this info - I'm just a dumb 11C - LOL!

seniorElMeowMeow
Ummm.....huh? ;)

How do you guys find out this info - I'm just a dumb 11C - LOL!

i cut open lots and lots of shoulder, armpit, and groin protectors in order to preform experiments. and I'm just an 0351 who couldn't pick up e4

seniorElMeowMeow

ok, i checked all my interceptors and determined that it happened some time in early 2004 because I have a coyote brown interceptor with 28 layers of km2 and a tri color vest made with the 34 layer combo, both made in January 2004.

seniorElMeowMeow

I made a 30 layer 8x8 inch ballistic panel out of km2 and another out of twaron. i need to get some 9mm nato and a block of clay and measure blunt trauma.

seniorElMeowMeow

i took measurements and did the math, adding the twaron in palce of some km2 makes the panels 2% thinner but 5% heavier. i still need a block of clay to measure the blunt trauma of each material.

seniorElMeowMeow

update, i Did more testing and found out it takes 15 layers of km2 to stop 9mm nato, vs 20 layers of Twaron. adjusting for weight, that's almost equal. although the more flexible twaron seems to allow for greater blunt trauma.