Packing up my collection

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Too Much WW1 Militaria

All,

I'm in the process of packing up my entire collection for long-term storage. Got the uniforms and books squared away, now have to come up with a way to store about 100 WW1 painted helmets. Trying to think what I can put between them to stack them in a tub. Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Thin sheets of foam, or they make something for china, in between the plates to keep them from chipping. Even a flap of cardboard. Wrap each one in a plastic bag first.

doinworkinvans

I would get a large sheet of bubble wrap and cut it into squares to fit between helmets. That should sweat and collect moisture. Just my 2 cents! You can always ship them here and I'll look out for them!!! :lol:

teufelhunde.ret

I would think wrapping items in plastic, and putting them in plastic tubs, would trap moisture? Call a local moving to buy packing boxes and wrapping paper, it would also be less expensive, than plastic tubs?

doinworkinvans
I would think wrapping items in plastic, and putting them in plastic tubs, would trap moisture? Call a local moving to buy packing boxes and wrapping paper, it would also be less expensive, than plastic tubs?

I think I may have said that wrong. I meant just a small piece to lay in-between the helmets not wrap them entirely. But like you said calling a moving company is way smarter. 'Cause who am I kidding? Ive never moved, what do I know? :lol:

I have had to put mine in storage a number of times over the years. I put each one in a brown paper bag, marking each bag so I could quickly find it in the future. I then stacked them in cardboard boxes (plastic tubs were harder to find at the time). The paper added some protection and they survived just fine.

Will the long term storage area have any type of dehumidication? If so, that will help out immensely with the moisture problem.

I'd use an archival foam like Ethafoam to separate each helmet. You can get it online in sheets, it's easy to work with and great for long term storage.

Just google University Products or Gaylord and search for Ethafoam, it should come right up. Add a dessicant pack to each tub to control the moisture and you should be good to go.

I'd use an archival foam like Ethafoam to separate each helmet. You can get it online in sheets, it's easy to work with and great for long term storage.

Just google University Products or Gaylord and search for Ethafoam, it should come right up. Add a dessicant pack to each tub to control the moisture and you should be good to go.

This is all good. The best suggestion.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

How about the cardboard egg crates? I can layer them and they'll breathe. The whole works is going to be stored where it is displayed now, dry and about 40% humidity. Moving to Texas sometime in 2015. In addition to the house, I'm going to have a collection building/workshop built. Zillions of tubs so far, I'm trying to figure out where it all came from! Geez, was like on a 50 year bender or something! And, we are dejunking now and starting to pack. We had 19 PCS moves in 30 years, so it pays to start early. The better half used to gripe about the uniforms, equipment, etc out all over the place, now, it's tubs! LOL

Thanks for all the advice,

John

Cobrahistorian

John,

I'd agree with Jeeperz. Ethafoam would be best. If you're going with cardboard MAKE SURE IT IS ACID FREE. Looking forward to you getting down this way. You'll have to swing through Lawton on your way down!

Jon

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Jon,

The game plan is to pack the helmets right before moving. We will swing through Lawton on a mooching, er, visit once we're settled! LOL Sue sure has a lot of friends! Joe and I just finished driving 360 miles to bid on a small WW1 tank corps group that went for three times what it was worth. Whatever happened to WW1 and 2 being surplus? Dang kids under 60 that's what! LOL

John

RustyCanteen
..bid on a small WW1 tank corps group that went for three times what it was worth.

John

That seems to be the way it is anymore, a lot of stuff people used to turn their noses up at because of condition issues are bringing more and more money. In turn the good stuff just keeps moving higher up in relation to the newfound demand.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

All the good stuff is in about a dozen or so collections scattered around this board! LOL

John