Looking for info on 36th Inf soldier.

Flashlarue

I have this WWII vet's 36th Infantry / 7th Corps uniform jacket that belonged to John Paulovic. I believe from what his granddaughter said he immigrated from Czechoslovakia in 1923 was born about 1908. She thinks maybe he was in the National Guard in Wisconson and was activated and assigned to the 36th Infantry in Texas for WWII. I am hoping to locate his military records and a list of medals he earned. This jacket has blue lining even inside the sleeves. Stamped inside the jacket is P-5891.

The tag inside the pocket has:

JACKET, MAN'S, WOOL

SERGE OLIVE DRAB,

Q. M. SHADE NO. 33-M-1950

CONTRACT NO: 7020-DTD. 5/14/56

PATTERN DATE: 7/31/52

SIZE 38-R

STOCK NO: 8405-22-6046

SPEC. NO: MIL-J-10801-B

PHILA. Q. M. DEPOT

INSPECTOR

83% WOOL

paul1.jpg

paul2.jpg

By the VII Corps patch on this Ike, it would appear that he either stayed in the Army after the war or was called back or reenlisted during the Korean War, VII Corps was a regular Army unit that was stationed in first at Fort Meade Maryland then over in Germany from 1951 on.

I don't know if your interested in this, but here he is on the New York Passenger List from December 1, 1923. He was only 13 years old.

JohnPaulovicPassengerList.jpg

And here is the death record I found for him.

JohnPaulovicDeathRecord.jpg

if you would like scans of the original documents pm me.

• 3 months later...

I have a correction/update on this uniform. The granddaughter had the information she gave me screwed up a bit. The soldier's name was John M. Povlovic (not Paulovic). He was born 5 August 1924 in Pennsylvania (not 1908) and died 15 November 2002 in Texas. He is buried at Ft. Sill National Cemetery, Oklahoma, Section 30, Site 555. He served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and his highest rank was SFC. Inside the sleeve where the 7th Corps patch is you can see where there was a 7th Army patch sewn on perviously. John M. Povlovic was a private in the Army and stationed in Haiwii when the 1940 census was taken. His enlistment for WWII was in 1943 and his serial number was 33685891.

I have a correction/update on this uniform. The granddaughter had the information she gave me screwed up a bit. The soldier's name was John M. Povlovic (not Paulovic). He was born 5 August 1924 in Pennsylvania (not 1908) and died 15 November 2002 in Texas. He is buried at Ft. Sill National Cemetery, Oklahoma, Section 30, Site 555. He served in WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and his highest rank was SFC. Inside the sleeve where the 7th Corps patch is you can see where there was a 7th Army patch sewn on perviously. John M. Povlovic was a private in the Army and stationed in Haiwii when the 1940 census was taken. His enlistment for WWII was in 1943 and his serial number was 33685891.

Also this Ike is the M51 type with the Overseas Bars now sewn on the right side, with the grade of Sergeant ( NOT Staff Sergeant, see EM Grade Reg changes for 1948), these rank patches are the M51/52 type as well. So what you have here is a uniform Jacket worn in the post 1951 period, one of the many Class A Jackets worn by Povlovic in his very long Military Career, by the amount of service stripes, 4, this signifiying between 12 and 15 years of service will date the wear of this coat, if Povlovoc entered the Army sometime in 1943, to around 1955-57.

I got his name wrong again it is John M. PAVLOVIC.

That works out for this to be his post Korea uniform with the 'CONTRACT NO: 7020-DTD. 5/14/56' inside the pocket.

I got his name wrong again it is John M. PAVLOVIC.

That works out for this to be his post Korea uniform with the 'CONTRACT NO: 7020-DTD. 5/14/56' inside the pocket.

YOU SAY PAVLOVIC, I SAY POVLOVIC, HES SAYS PAULOVIC.......

PAVLOVIC.....POVLOVIC.....PAULOVIC...... LETS CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF :lol:

• 2 years later...