I wish I made more of these....

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I'd call this 'miscellaneous personal militaria' as topics go. Recently there have been several topics on what we find posted on ebay. The surprises, fakes, odd items, etc. There was also the luck of Ken (kklinejr) in finding his grandfather's medal on ebay last week.

Well, I was trolling about on ebay in late November and found this:

VINTAGE CLASSIC NAVY SAILOR USS GRASP BOATING T-SHIRT

Much to my surprise, I see a skivvy T-Shirt that I made in the P.I (Subic Bay) in 1977! I read the description, and of couse know where and how it was really made, and sent a PM to the seller. I let him know about it, and that there were only eight made for our 'Nav Team'. What I really wanted to know was where did he get it, as it obviously came from one of my shipmates.

The seller blew me off, but when I emailed the buyer after the auction (who thought this was made in the 1950's) he wanted the details.

I told him This shirt was made in October 1977 at Subic Bay Naval Station, Philippines. Our ship, USS GRASP (ARS-24) was making our last port call in the P.I. and we went to the silk screen shop with some skivvy shirts and designed it for the 'Nav Team' (NAVIGATION TEAM). By my recollection, we made eight (8) shirts & I still have one (1) of them. I also have a kodak slide around here somewhere with me wearing mine at my Nav station on the GRASP as we left Subic Bay.

We designed the shirt from the famous WWI Howard Chandler Christy poster "If I were a man I'd join the Navy", and added 'Nav Team' and the ship's name to it.

I'll be sending him a copy of the photo when I get it converted for his provenance.

I was going to bid on this myself but when the price went north of $50......

The skivvy shirt sold for $181.50

Wish I made more of them ;)

Nav_Team_T_Shirt_A.jpg

Nav_Team_T_Shirt_C.jpg

vintageproductions

If you want to feel worse, the buyer sets up a couple of spaces over from us at the Rose Bowl in the vintage clothing section. I watched him sell the t-shirt to another person within a couple minutes of setting up, last month. Still a great looking t-shirt.

• 6 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Aloha Everyone,

I came across the photo of me wearing one of these shirts aboard the USS GRASP (ARS-24) in October 1977 while cruising through the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (T.T.P.I. - now the Federated States of Micronesia).

Made in the 1950's my #%&! It's amazing how some dealers and sellers really don't care about where their 'rare vintage' items really come from.

This shot was taken on the port bridge wing while I was shooting bearings with the Alidade I'm leaning against.

Took me a while to find the photo as I thought it was a slide, but it was actually a color negative that I've now scanned as evidence/provenance.

Caveat Emperor you eBay buyers.....

IMG_0002B.jpg

Wow...simply....wow. :lol:

On a similar note, i'm glad i held onto all my old 80's concert tee's.

E-pay can make you some good cash at times.

Okay... similar story....

A good friend of mine was in the USAF at Udorn, Thailand during the Vietnam War. When I started telling them how much theater made USAF and novelty patches were going for these days, they just laughed

"That junk?" they said. "There used to be vendors standing right outside the gate with stacks of these things on their tables. I just walked by them... I figured they were junk and had no interest in them." If we only knew then what we know now....!

• 8 years later...
RustyCanteen

This is just too cool of a story (and shirt!), thanks for linking this thread Salvage Sailor.

RC

Aloha Everyone,

I came across the photo of me wearing one of these shirts aboard the USS GRASP (ARS-24) in October 1977 while cruising through the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands (T.T.P.I. - now the Federated States of Micronesia).

Made in the 1950's my #%&! It's amazing how some dealers and sellers really don't care about where their 'rare vintage' items really come from.

This shot was taken on the port bridge wing while I was shooting bearings with the Alidade I'm leaning against.

Took me a while to find the photo as I thought it was a slide, but it was actually a color negative that I've now scanned as evidence/provenance.

Caveat Emperor you eBay buyers.....

OK

Thats cool.

owen

firefighter

Okay... similar story....

A good friend of mine was in the USAF at Udorn, Thailand during the Vietnam War. When I started telling them how much theater made USAF and novelty patches were going for these days, they just laughed

"That junk?" they said. "There used to be vendors standing right outside the gate with stacks of these things on their tables. I just walked by them... I figured they were junk and had no interest in them." If we only knew then what we know now....!

I think about the stuff I could have bought when I was at Clark. The patchs, plaques, etc,, were so cheap.I remember seeing plaques for Vietnam units, I was there 84-86. Cheap, cheap, & cheap

How were you able to email the buyer after the auction was over? Ebay obscures the username of the winning bidder nowadays.

Salvage Sailor

"nowadays"....the old days, when we could easily send messages