American Pickelhaube Helmet-1890s?

My name is Leonard Lanier. I am an intern at a small state museum in northeastern North Carolina. Part of my internship involves cataloging the militaria items in the museum's collection. Some things have the staff and I stumped, however. For instance, in 1969 the Pasquotank Historical Society gave the museum this helmet. Unfortunately, they did not provide us with any information about the owner or user. I think it's a US Army pickelhaube from the 1890s, but I'm not certain. It's clearly marked "Pettibone Mfg Co., Cincinnati, O" and has a "March 1, 1892" date embossed inside. Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

post-96808-1343048514.jpg

post-96808-1343048522.jpg

post-96808-1343048530.jpg

post-96808-1343048537.jpg

Here's an additional image of the date inside the liner that I could not fit into the original post.

post-96808-1343048836.jpg

Here's an additional image of the date inside the liner that I could not fit into the original post.

US Army Dress Helmet, model of 1881 (not a "pickelhaube," it's not a German item). Your images are small, but it looks like a foot officer's helmet for the 1st Infantry Regiment. This type of dress helmet was worn by the Regular Army until about 1902.

Here's a larger image. I also thought 1st Infantry at first, but was not sure.

The crossed rifles behind the shield mean Infantry.

Hi Leonard,

Welcome to the forum!

Seems you have gotten the answer to your question already. There is help here of all different kinds.

Please join in.

Not knowing anything about these helmets, I'll ask: What makes this an officer's helmet vice an enlisted man's?

Not knowing anything about these helmets, I'll ask: What makes this an officer's helmet vice an enlisted man's?

Its construction in sections rather than a single shell and the fittings with hooks on the sides and back for the metal segmented chinstrap. Without a better image of the front plate I cannot tell for certain if it is an officer's or enlisted version, i.e. a one piece stamping with added number vs. multiple pieces for most officer's plates. A caution- many of these helmets are "put-togethers" from parts.

A caution- many of these helmets are "put-togethers" from parts.

This is very true and I would guess that this one may be as well. The patina on the spike and base differs greatly from the front plate. However, this could also be a result of how it was stored.

Here is an example I have (different version of the M1881) which shows how it would have looked with the segmented chinstrap.

post-29885-1343136898.jpg

It's definitely an officer's helmet. Enlisted dress helmets were pressed felt, whereas officers' helmets were wool-covered cork. In addition, Pettibone only manufactured the officer model.

The front plate appears to be the one-piece enlisted version, which would have been unusual on an otherwise high-quality private-purchase helmet.

The spike and spike base are unique to Pettibone helmets, and the rest of the brass hardware doesn't really suggest that the whole thing is a put-together.

Leonard, it looks like the great bunch of guys here have already covered your question - I am continually amazed by the knowledge base here. I have a quick question for you, what is your museum? I used to work for another small state historic site in Durham and as a fellow Tar Heel I 'm just curious so I can visit next time I'm out that way.

-Lee

ludwigh1980

I would associate this more as a Militia or National Guard helmet. Federal enlisted helmets are pressed felt and the models of Federal officers are usually very high grade with colored silk linings and fancy sweatbands. I would say it is national guard.

Terry in Colorado

Indian War Collector

Leonard, it looks like the great bunch of guys here have already covered your question - I am continually amazed by the knowledge base here. I have a quick question for you, what is your museum? I used to work for another small state historic site in Durham and as a fellow Tar Heel I 'm just curious so I can visit next time I'm out that way.

-Lee

I work at the Museum of the Albemarle in Elizabeth City, North Carolina. We're a branch museum of the North Carolina Museum of History in Raleigh. Did you work at Bennett Place or Historic Stagville?

I would associate this more as a Militia or National Guard helmet. Federal enlisted helmets are pressed felt and the models of Federal officers are usually very high grade with colored silk linings and fancy sweatbands. I would say it is national guard.

Terry in Colorado

Indian War Collector

That's what I thought, too. I know that Elizabeth City, NC had a naval militia outfit in the 1890s. No national guard unit that I know of right now, however. But, why would a naval guard wear an army-style helmet? I'm looking through our photo collection to see if I can find a photograph of them. Also, now that I figured out how to post larger pictures, I'll see if I can some better images for y'all.

I agree that the eagle appears to be an EM's -- officers were usually 2-piece and gold plated. The hooks on each side and the back were for the leather-backed chain chinstrap as seen on the white helmet posted above. EMs wore a plain black leather chinstrap, so this is definitely an officers'.

G