PAL RH 36

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Interesting reading of all the posts on the RH 36, but I still need some advice as to what I have here. The sheath seems to be about an inch too long and is marked Pal Blade Co. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1342817888.jpg

post-12790-1342817915.jpg

post-12790-1342817947.jpg

Estate sale find today. Interesting reading of all the posts on the RH 36, but I still need some advice as to what I have here. The sheath seems to be about an inch too long and is marked Pal Blade Co. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1342818006.jpg

Probably a sheath for a PAL RH-37; PAL sold the RH-37 to the US Navy as one of the MK 2s with a 6-7/8 inch blade during WWII. I'll try to post a picture of mine later.

Here's the four PAL blades I own; from left to right, RH-34, RH-35, RH-36, and RH-37. The RH-36 has its original PAL sheath, the RH-37 came with the USN scabbard shown:

PalKnives.jpg

Thank you thorn6 and Stii-A-Marine. Good info. Any idea of why the sheath was marked that way? Thanks again, Al.

Still-A-Marine
Thank you thorn6 and Stii-A-Marine. Good info. Any idea of why the sheath was marked that way? Thanks again, Al.

That's just how PAL marked that scabbard at that time. The same scabbard was used for the USMC & USN.

Bill

I do not recall previously noting the "MADE IN USA" marking under the "PAL" logo on a WWII issued RH-36.

Is this a post-War production knife?

Still-A-Marine
I do not recall previously noting the "MADE IN USA" marking under the "PAL" logo on a WWII issued RH-36.

Is this a post-War production knife?

The "MADE IN USA" is shown in the reference books I have for WWII.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Were they all similarly marked? ...Or just some?

Regards,

Don.

Still-A-Marine
Thanks Bill,

Were they all similarly marked? ...Or just some?

Regards,

Don.

All the PAL RH-34, 35, 36, & 37 I've seen are so marked. Thats also the way Cole shows them. But I don't know about "all".

Bill

Thanks again, Bill.

I suppose that I'm used to seeing 'just' the "PAL" marking/logo on the bayonets that they made. And I didn't recall that detail being on their RH-series knives, before.

I have attempted to contain myself "some", collecting mostly bayonets, and don't have all that many utility knives (yet!!).

Don.

Any idea of why the sheath was marked that way?

I like the RH-36s very much as well and have always collected them. It was normal that PAL traded their RH-36s with the sheaths where company's logo was stamped.

post-75-1342908536.jpg

I like the RH-36s very much as well and have always collected them. It was normal that PAL traded their RH-36s with the sheaths where company's logo was stamped.

More great info, thanks Gregory. I have unsuccessfully tried to researched the date of the use of PAL BLADE CO. that is stamped on the sheath of mine. As compared to yours just posted, do you know which is earlier? Thanks again, Al.

post-12790-1342909511.jpg

More great info, thanks Gregory. I have unsuccessfully tried to researched the date of the use of PAL BLADE CO. that is stamped on the sheath of mine. As compared to yours just posted, do you know which is earlier? Thanks again, Al.

Hello Al,

I am not "edged guru" but after many years of observations may tell that have never seen such a sheath matched with military variants of the RH-36. Maybe more experienced fan of RH-36s would know if your sheath is pre- or post-WWII or which one is earlier -- oval stamped or company's full name stamped?

Regards

Greg

OK RH-36/37 Gurus. A sheath marked like mine (PAL BLADE CO.) just sold on eBay for $256.99 + $12.00 shipping. What am I missing here? Thanks, Al.

P.S. It was item #290745168562.

• 2 years later...

i just got a rh pal 36 knife today but the sheath i got with it says made in west germany is this normal or what thanks.

Any sheath marked "Made in West Germany" is post-WWII. Need pictures to evaluate the knife.