AAC patch without the red dot

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

The common Army Air Corps patch can be found without the red center dot on the star. I have seen this collectors refer to it as a manufactering error. I think it is a legitimate variation. Here is a studio portriat of a WW2 S/Sgt wearing one.

post-83-1342809453.jpg

Awesome photo! Here are three examples of AAF patches without the red dot from my collection. The middle one is more than likely a mfg. error, but it looks to have been worn.

Vance

post-781-1342824460.jpeg

I've been curious about that patch too. I agree it is too common to have been a mistake. Recall that the insignia on aircraft had a white star with a red dot in the center until May 1942. That month the red dot was removed from the aircraft insignia and it stayed that way until July 1943. The red dot never returned to the national aircraft insignia, but it seemed to stay on the patch of the Army Air Forces. The design certainly looks more complete with the red dot.

• 4 years later...

A buddy picked up a Dec. 1942-dated officers khaki tropical worsted "TW" uniform coat with a "no red dot" patch on the left shoulder. It's felt - all of the others I've seen online so far are twill. The blue is almost a royal blue and the wing is yellow - not the golden orange color used on the typical AAF patches.

The yellow stitching around the edges really makes it standout.

1.jpg

doinworkinvans

THats a great example there Bob! That blue and yellow really do pop. And Im sure it looks even better on that tropical uniform. Good snag!

I think it was a manufacturer's "assumption" patch. There are quite a few variations of the white star AAF patch which leads me to believe that when the USAAC stopped using the red dot on aircraft, manufacturers assumed they would do the same with the patches. Makes sense really.

-Ski