Ike Restoration

78CARg

Glenn_Janssens

If you going to use those tech 5's for your 'pre incident Ike'....Then you must drop the Ruptured Duck if you wants it to be correct and maybe some or all of the medals too !

It all depends on when this incident happened.

If you going to use those tech 5's for your 'pre incident Ike'....Then you must drop the Ruptured Duck if you wants it to be correct and maybe some or all of the medals too !

It all depends on when this incident happened.

Yeah your right, that's not gonna work. I sent Erwin a Pm letting him know I made a mistake. Hopefully I caught him in time.

You did. ;)

Erwin

Awesome! Thanks again for the offer anyhow. This is definitely the most generous forum I have ever been on.

I Bought the Pfc stripes I need, (thanks Got da Penny) just waiting patiently for them to arrive. Also I requested a picture of his gravestone on Find-A-Grave, and it turns out it is wrong it reads Tec4. Do you guys think I should bring it up to his son, and possibly try to have it fixed?

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...p;PIpi=65433216

You could, the VA would most likely fix the error if it could be proved they made it.....however, you would be out a fee of at least $100+ to have the stone "set" by the cemetery. I honestly find it odd that his rank of Master Sergeant from the Colorado NG wasn't put on there.....that should be his final rank.

it is pretty strange, I don't know where they got Tec4, It does not appear on any of the documents I have seen. Your right if we do end up fixing it, Master Sergeant is what should be on there.

• 1 month later...

I finally worked up the courage to sew on the patches. It looks good from a distance, but up close the sewing job isn't pretty. lol I still need to sew on the other chevron, I ran out of thread tho. There would have been just enough, but the first time I sewed the chevron on it was really crooked, so I ended up redoing it.

DSCN0364.jpgDSCN0366.jpgDSCN0370.jpgDSCN0368.jpgDSCN0369.jpg

I would like to extend a huge Thank you to everyone who helped with this project! Without the knowledge and generosity of the forum, this project would not have been possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks great! Good Job!

As for hand sewing, with a little practice you can get very good quickly....use safety pins to hold the patches in place, then put on the uniform or put in on a dummy to see how it looks hanging. Keep the pins in while you sew, and remove them once you've got about 1/2 of the patch done...just a little tip that helps.

Did you find out what he was awarded the BSM for? One award may be the blanket award to all those with a CIB, but the other would be something he did.

Looks great! Good Job!

As for hand sewing, with a little practice you can get very good quickly....use safety pins to hold the patches in place, then put on the uniform or put in on a dummy to see how it looks hanging. Keep the pins in while you sew, and remove them once you've got about 1/2 of the patch done...just a little tip that helps.

Did you find out what he was awarded the BSM for? One award may be the blanket award to all those with a CIB, but the other would be something he did.

Thanks for the kind words and advice!

According to his dd-214 that was issued in 1945, he was awarded the bronze star w/ bronze oak leaf cluster. So my understanding is he was awarded a total of 3 BSM's. 2 for his actions in combat, and the 3rd in 1947 when the CIB conversion was authorized. Sadly I still do not know the specifics of what he did to earn these medals. His son did tell me this tho:

Dad did have medals one I think was for a time when he held the Germans off with his sub-machine gun while the other guys pulled back and then he had to get himself out of there.

That Ike Jacket looks great.

Maybe you can add the Marksman Badge with "rifle" bar and Sharpshooter Badge with "carbine" bar too?

Army_Marksman_Badge.gif

SScarbine.jpg

Erwin

Good point- he may have also had a Driver badge....although is a halftrack driver a Driver W or a Driver T. Don't think they ever made a Driver T/W :lol: