Ike Restoration

78CARg

As some of you know, I am working on restoring a stripped Ike jacket I bought at a thrift store. Since I know nothing about the original owner. I have decided to do it in honor of my grandpas brother. From conversations with his son, and my own research I know all the insignia I need, and have purchased most of it. I only need a few more pieces.

One of those pieces being a Combat Infantry Badge. My problem is the authentic WWII ones are priced higher then what I have to spend right now. I seen some nice looking post war ones that are a little more reasonable. What are your thoughts about using, say a Vietnam era badge as a place holder till I get some extra funds? Or should I just leave that off till I can get the correct one? Everything else on the jacket will be WWII era.

My intention with this project is not to deceive anyone. A piece of paper with my uncles military information, and a disclaimer that the insignia was added by me will be put in the pocket.

This thread will be updated as I progress. I am still waiting for some stuff to arrive, when it does I will add pictures.

This is the badge I would be using

513913080_o.jpg513913131_o.jpg

Apart from the maker's mark, there's very little to distinguish this CIB from a WW2 period original. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep about using it until such time as you can replace it. Just my opinion.

Apart from the maker's mark, there's very little to distinguish this CIB from a WW2 period original. Personally, I wouldn't lose any sleep about using it until such time as you can replace it. Just my opinion.

Good, cause I got impatient. lol I was gonna wait till I got some responses to buy that one, but the price was so good I couldn't stop myself. The price was $11.98 w/ free shipping

Good, cause I got impatient. lol I was gonna wait till I got some responses to buy that one, but the price was so good I couldn't stop myself. The price was $11.98 w/ free shipping

Sounds good to me...and you've still got a genuine USGI item at the end of the day. The maker is relatively uncommon too.

Sounds good to me...and you've still got a genuine USGI item at the end of the day. The maker is relatively uncommon too.

The maker was another reason I could stop myself. The first thing I did when I seen it on eBay, was search here I got some good info. Most of the threads were about their wings tho.

I believe everybody uses placeholder items until they can locate what one is looking for.

And you can't beat that price with shipping!

Looking forward to seeing the completed jacket!

Leonardo

I believe everybody uses placeholder items until they can locate what one is looking for.

And you can't beat that price with shipping!

Looking forward to seeing the completed jacket!

Leonardo

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

while searching this site I found a thread about another restoration project. Someone pointed out that www.warrelics.com sells WWII era thread. They sell it in 6 foot pieces, do you guys think 6 feet will be enough to sew on a 14th Armored Division patch and T/4 rank chevrons?

My suggestion is just going on ebay and look for a original complete WWII sewing kit which can be had for around $10.00 I'm sure a few dealers here have some for sale. I'm always using the buttons and threads out of them for restorations.

Leonardo

My suggestion is just going on ebay and look for a original complete WWII sewing kit which can be had for around $10.00 I'm sure a few dealers here have some for sale. I'm always using the buttons and threads out of them for restorations.

Leonardo

I agree with Leonardo because I too use them in the very same way! Enter the key words WW2 housewife sewing kit in the eBay search engine and see what turns up. Most will contain OD thread, assorted buttons and needles etc. Apart from being very useful, they also make nice "personal" items for displays...every GI had one.

Ok cool thanks guys for the suggestion

eBay does have some nice ones, and the prices are pretty good to. I added quite a few to my watch list. lol

Here is the sewing kit I ended up with. There was another really nice one listed that was named, but I think this one will do the trick. The seller wrote in the description that it was issued to his father-in-law an officer during WWII. I contacted him and asked if he would share any info about the original owner, I'm just waiting for a response.

KGrHqFiMEQrcphhBQB000i1U60_57.jpgKGrHqRjYEpswuPpDBQB01JOuYQ60_57.jpgT2eC16d0E9s37Hk7lBQB01gHOQ60_57.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally gathered all the items I need to complete the restoration. Everything is WWII era except the CIB and the mounting bar for the ribbons. Its one I got when I bought the case for my grandfathers display from Medals of America.

This is the Ike I will be using:

DSCN0078.jpg

And here is everything I will be adding to it:

DSCN0056.jpgDSCN0057.jpg

Now I just need to work up the courage to sew on the patches, I'm not very confident in my sewing skills. lol

The collar disc I got is a screw-back type. This may be a stupid question, but how does it go on? Am I going to have to put a hole in the collar?

Josh

Robswashashore

T

he collar disc I got is a screw-back type. This may be a stupid question, but how does it go on? Am I going to have to put a hole in the collar?

LOL, that is exactly the same question I asked when I put together a USAAF Ike to honor my late father!

Yes, you punch a hole in collar (I used an ice pick) -- just make sure you position it correctly before the coup de grace!

Family displays are the best ones! Looking forward to seeing the finished Ike.

Jean

T

LOL, that is exactly the same question I asked when I put together a USAAF Ike to honor my late father!

Yes, you punch a hole in collar (I used an ice pick) -- just make sure you position it correctly before the coup de grace!

Family displays are the best ones! Looking forward to seeing the finished Ike.

Jean

Ok, Thank you! I figured that was the case, but thought I should ask before poking a hole. I just got my hands on a better camera to play with, so I will definitely be posting pictures.

Don,t think the 3 overseas bars will be correct, 14th Armored Division spent a little less than a year overseas, it arrived in the ETO at Marseille France on 30 October 1944, and after the war left sometime in early September 1944, arriving Stateside at the Hampton Roads Virginia Port of Embarkation on 16 September 1944. the 3 bars which signify at least 1 1/2 years overseas would in my estimation have to be replaced by a single overseas bar.

The bronze OLC on the BSM ribbon bar is upsidedown.

The member Old Marine sent me that BSM ribbon and I added the OLC. The ribbon it was originally on was in pretty poor condition. so thank you atb for setting me straight. I want this jacket to be correct.

Don,t think the 3 overseas bars will be correct, 14th Armored Division spent a little less than a year overseas, it arrived in the ETO at Marseille France on 30 October 1944, and after the war left sometime in early September 1944, arriving Stateside at the Hampton Roads Virginia Port of Embarkation on 16 September 1944. the 3 bars which signify at least 1 1/2 years overseas would in my estimation have to be replaced by a single overseas bar.

Thanks man!

The overseas bars are original to the jacket. I could cut it and use one of them, but I'm not sure if I should. There are quite a few markings inside this jacket, and one day I may be lucky enough learn about the original owner. So having that original piece may be important. they will most likely be removed and put in one of the pockets.

The member Old Marine sent me that BSM ribbon and I added the OLC. The ribbon it was originally on was in pretty poor condition. so thank you atb for setting me straight. I want this jacket to be correct.

Thanks man!

The overseas bars are original to the jacket. I could cut it and use one of them, but I'm not sure if I should. There are quite a few markings inside this jacket, and one day I may be lucky enough learn about the original owner. So having that original piece may be important. they will most likely be removed and put in one of the pockets.

If you want an acurate representation of a 14th Armored Division GI at the time of discharge you can not leave 3 overseas bars that will siginify at least 1 1/2 years overseas service on the this jacket, This may an idea, but perhaps you can get a UNISSUED IKE jacket, there still out there, in this way you will be starting with a clean slate, you can keep this one you have for another project or sell it.

PS don't forget to put on the Ruptured Duck patch, a OD woven or a embroidered on OD wool will do it, these are quite plentyfull in unissued condition.

If you want an acurate representation of a 14th Armored Division GI at the time of discharge you can not leave 3 overseas bars that will siginify at least 1 1/2 years overseas service on the this jacket, This may an idea, but perhaps you can get a UNISSUED IKE jacket, there still out there, in this way you will be starting with a clean slate, you can keep this one you have for another project or sell it.

PS don't forget to put on the Ruptured Duck patch, a OD woven or a embroidered on OD wool will do it, these are quite plentyfull in unissued condition.

Jeeper704 has a 14th Armored Division jacket with under shirt that he offered me. They both have the 14th AD patch and ruptured duck already sewn on them, but not sure if I will have the funds available.

I do plan to remove the 3 overseas bars. I just wasn't sure if I should cut them up to be used in this project, or just remove them and put them in a pocket, so they could be put back on if info on the original owner is ever found.

Jeeper704 has a 14th Armored Division jacket with under shirt that he offered me. They both have the 14th AD patch and ruptured duck already sewn on them, but not sure if I will have the funds available.

I do plan to remove the 3 overseas bars. I just wasn't sure if I should cut them up to be used in this project, or just remove them and put them in a pocket, so they could be put back on if info on the original owner is ever found.

It's your call, I might point out that like the Discharge patch, overseas bars gold on wool are easy to buy as well, I mean you get get a UNCUT Roll if you really wanted :lol:

It's your call, I might point out that like the Discharge patch, overseas bars gold on wool are easy to buy as well, I mean you get get a UNCUT Roll if you really wanted :lol:

haha yeah, I saw those rolls of them, That's a tad bit overkill. lol

Last night I got the email I have been waiting for. It was from Clarence's son, and contained scans of the documents he has for his fathers military service.

Separation Qualification (front)

Clarence-E-Arterburn-Seperation-Qualification.jpg

Separation Qualification (back)

Clarence-E-Arterburn-Seperation-Qualification-2.jpg

Army DD-214

Clarence-E-Arterburn-DD-214.jpg

Army Discharge Certificate

Clarence-E-Arterburn-Discharge-Certificate.jpg

Colorado National Guard Discharge Certificate

Clarence-E-Arterburn-Colorado-National-GuardDischarge-Certificate.jpg

I was really excited when I saw that DD-214. I now have all the info to completely finish this project. After reviewing the DD-214 it appears I have the correct insignia. Except the rank patches, apparently he reached the rank of Tech 5.

When I first started researching him, I called the cemetery were he is buried. They told me what appears on his grave stone. So either the person on the phone made a mistake, or his gravestone is incorrect. Cause they told me his rank was Tech 4.

oh well, we all make mistakes life goes on. Anyone want to trade a pair of Tech 5 chevrons for a pair of olive on felt Tech 4's? LOL

One last thing, I have a question about his DD-214. It lists his Military Occupational Specialty as Heavy Mortar Crewman. What exactly does that mean? Cause as far as I know he drove a Half-Track.

Ok, a couple of things:

1. I've always been told a lot of infantry guys were discharged as "Light Truck Drivers" in the hope that it would be a more marketable skill when they got out rather than rifleman, etc. Notice how on the other form he is listed as a Heavy Mortar Crewman. There were 81mm mortars mounted in half-tracks, could be he just picked the driver MOS to be shown. Not much use on the outside for Mortarmen.

2. He's being discharged as a PFC...the highest rank held was Tec 5. He got busted for something at some point. My grandpa had the same thing, SGT to PFC, PFC is on his Ike. He hit a Mess Sergeant (Master Sgt.) in the head with an apple after being cussed out. Most "short timers" did not care about getting busted then, those were often the guys that won the war.

3. He should also have had a WWII victory ribbon, which didn't make it on to the 214. He might also have gotten an Army of Occupation ribbon, since he didn't leave Germany until Oct 1945.

Awesome project! My grandpa entered through Ft. Logan as well, he was from the Loveland area.

Ok, a couple of things:

1. I've always been told a lot of infantry guys were discharged as "Light Truck Drivers" in the hope that it would be a more marketable skill when they got out rather than rifleman, etc. Notice how on the other form he is listed as a Heavy Mortar Crewman. There were 81mm mortars mounted in half-tracks, could be he just picked the driver MOS to be shown. Not much use on the outside for Mortarmen.

2. He's being discharged as a PFC...the highest rank held was Tec 5. He got busted for something at some point. My grandpa had the same thing, SGT to PFC, PFC is on his Ike. He hit a Mess Sergeant (Master Sgt.) in the head with an apple after being cussed out. Most "short timers" did not care about getting busted then, those were often the guys that won the war.

3. He should also have had a WWII victory ribbon, which didn't make it on to the 214. He might also have gotten an Army of Occupation ribbon, since he didn't leave Germany until Oct 1945.

Awesome project! My grandpa entered through Ft. Logan as well, he was from the Loveland area.

Oh ok that makes sense. After he got out he came back to his hometown (Blue Hill, NE) and worked in a rubber factory. Before enlisting in the Colorado National Guard. I was told he drove and worked on tanks and self propelled artillery, so that MOS did help him later in life.

I did see that he was discharged as a PFC. I wonder what happened, I will ask his son about it. Sadly I may never know tho cause like my grandfather Clarence didn't talk much about the war. In fact since I started talking to him his son has learned things he didn't know. Not sure what I should do about the rank chevrons. Last night Erwin (Jeeper704) generously offered me a free Pair of Tech 5's. So I think I'm gonna use the Tech 5's and it will be a pre incident Ike. LOL

Thanks for the info and kind words! Clarence was from Nebraska, but he lived in Golden.