Repro 1918 LF&C Knuckle Knife - Can't tell the difference

Mr. Scratch

Mr. Scratch

Okay, this repro is being offered on GB, and I can't for the life of me see the difference between the handle on this (forget the blade here, though even that ain't bad for a repro), and the one on my original LF&C. Can anyone help me out here so I don't fall into the trap of buying one of these handles thinking it's good?

post-3113-1342190524.jpg

Wow, good job on the handle. I just held mine up to your photo and I can not tell the definitive difference. My handle is a bit darker due to age, the lettering is darker, and there are less casting marks. I would be hard pressed to make a call. It could be the angle of your photo but your handle seems to be a bit wider behind the hilt and the first knuckle and the finger holes seem just a tad thicker.

Interesting to read what the experts say.

Hi,

I don't want to say it's a repro.What I can see it's 100% good. I got the same one and can't find any differences.

Maybe the blade but not the handle.

doughboy

looking at this one it looks good to me.

the blade looks to be polished and no blackening left on the handle..could this just be one thats just been cleaned and polished.

Mr. Scratch is this offered for sale as a repro on GB.

if this handle is a repro thats one scary copy..

regards joe

Mr. Scratch
looking at this one it looks good to me.

the blade looks to be polished and no blackening left on the handle..could this just be one thats just been cleaned and polished.

Mr. Scratch is this offered for sale as a repro on GB.

if this handle is a repro thats one scary copy..

regards joe

Here is the text of the auction. The guy goes to some lengths to strees this is a repro. Could he be mistaken, and maybe this is a good knife? I dunno, he certainly seems familiar with what he's selling.

"Excellent condition modern made WWI US Model 1918 trench knife that is a very high quality reproduction. This classic style piece features a one piece brass knuckle guard with aged patina and authentic style U.S. 1918 L F & C. 1918 marking. 6 ¾” blade has beautiful high polish blue metal finish with a good tip and was never sharpened. Original Model 1918 trench knives are currently selling for around $1000. This high quality reproduction will make an outstanding display piece in your collection alone or with other trench warfare items, 1903 Springfield rifle, cartridge belt, etc. Will also work well for a reenactor. "

A couple more pics, of the blade and pommel.

post-3113-1342221268.jpg

post-3113-1342221293.jpg

Hey Gang! This repro is spooky! If it was sold separate from the blade, we, and a bunch of other folks, would be hard pressed to determine legitimacy. Unfortunately I can see the add now, "Just found in an old warehouse! Original LF&C, M1918 Trench Knife Handles" While supply lasts, $450 each. ETC, ETC, ETC! In the past it was relatively "easier", to determine repro, or real. Not now! This one looks legit to me. I knew WW2 vets, who had their MK1 blade, pommel nut, and scabbard, but were not allowed to keep the handles. These could complete the set. Who could question it? WOW! What if they were making "HD&S" handles this quality? Am debating over submitting this reply. SKIP

Blade looks new but has a good profile, the grip looks original to me. Anyone email him and ask why he thinks it's a replica?

Looking carefully at the lettering and comparing it to mine plus some on GB and other pics, you can see the differences in the U (one side is shorter than the other), the C in L.F&C, the location of the - between the L.F&C and the date, and a couple of other small details. Of course these details could be attributed to variations in stampings.

One other thing, is that I've noticed that most M1918 L.F&C have dark lettering; even though the blackening on the handle is worn off, it tends to stay in the lettering.

On the other hand, it would be almost impossible to see the differences unless you were looking for them. I guess we'll all have to be careful now.

Mr. Scratch
Blade looks new but has a good profile, the grip looks original to me. Anyone email him and ask why he thinks it's a replica?

I did. I asked him why he seemed so sure it was a repro. He wrote back:

"i cannot be positive that it is real or a repo, so it is best to say that it is not,,buyer will have to make there own decision and either be happy or ecstatic,,came with a collection from illinois and is great looking,,thanks for watching my auctions and good luck."

Thank You,

Larry Eisel

for all your military arms and accessories please visit me at

WWW.EISELARMORY.COM

So taking him at his word, it appears he doesn't really know for sure and is just playing it safe customer satisfaction-wise. My guess is that this might be the reverse of the usual trend, and is actually a good knife being sold as a repro. I'm at a loss as to why a militaria dealer wouldn't try to establish whether or not it was real though, so I don't know what to say about his thinking on this.

Stranger things have happened. I bought a bunch of "repro" German collar insignia last year for a couple bucks apiece from a dealer who just thought they looked too new. Turned out they were all good insignia from the storage supply of Dachau, and that cloth from that site generally looks new because it WAS new in 1945 when the GIs took it out by the helmetful for souvenirs.

Since this knife was out of a "collection" in Illinois, what else was in the collection? Was it junk or good stuff? The seller may have judged the authenticity by looking at the other things in the collection. If he honestly does not know, then the knife should be judged on its own merits. Buy the knife, not the story.

Marv

I do not see anything wrong with the grip, itself.

The blade 'might' be open to speculation; though, it does appear as correctly profiled/formed. The run-out/back-cuts look as they should, and the ricasso area is properly shaped.

However, the pommel nut does not look 'quite right', to me.

It also appears that 'whatever' was the original pommel nut, was loose for quite some time; leading to the indications of wear surrounding it's contact point.

What if the original pommel nut had been lost, and a new one professionally made?

I also wonder if SKIP might be onto something, as well, with the concept that some WWII Vets had their knuckle-grips confiscated; leading towards a possible 'rebuild' of this knife.?

Hard tellin'...

Since this knife was out of a "collection" in Illinois, what else was in the collection? Was it junk or good stuff? The seller may have judged the authenticity by looking at the other things in the collection. If he honestly does not know, then the knife should be judged on its own merits. Buy the knife, not the story.

Marv

Maybe the seller bought one of those fighting knife lots from the Rock Island Auction.Often they have lots consisting of 20-30 knives of various types.There can be a mix of good-bad and questionable in the lot(s).So to me a "collection in Illinios"can read to be anything.

Mr. Scratch

That's definitely an old Japanese repro. 1970s? So this isn't a new batch of repro knives, it looks like he's unloading an old collection. He's dealing with a lot of old militaria on his other auctions, so nothing surprising about this.

The other 1918 went for $290. I think someone probably got a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw several knives that looked like this about 10 years ago in gettysburg being sold as repros in shadow boxes. The only things that stood out was the blades did not look quite right and the casting did not seem as fine on the handle as an original. Wish I had bought one to compare side by side with the original one I have. They were not cheap repros either, They were about 75 bucks mounted to a plaque in a shadow box frame. i do not know where they came from and have not seen them since a couple years after that, but I know the guy had a bunch of them. also on the blade on the one shown is more angled down at the base of the blade at the ricasso (where the sharpened section ends) than the original I have. It appears to be slightly narrowerbut couldnt be sure without measurements.

• 10 months later...

Hi,
ii would like the opinion of my fellow forum collectors about this 1918 Trench Knife.
Sorry, but i do not have better pictures.

I know that the scabbard is not original.
What i would like is to know if it´s a original LF&C Knife or is there any red flag?!?

regards

Fábio

jqqhl5.jpg
cygo.jpg
ohvgoo.jpg
jfggef.jpg
9gh4iv.jpg
2vakqb4.jpg

Handle is good but cleaned & guard cut ,skull crush looks good . Blade from the pics looks correct but really cleaned & polished too.