In Remembrance of Operation Husky

manayunkman

manayunkman

When I first moved to Pennsylvania back in the 1970's one of the first people I met was Ed Dailey at Silver Springs Flea Market.

Ed was a Vietnam vet and at the time an accountant for the state of Pa.

He was also one of the most successful militaria pickers I knew.

What he might lack in knowledge he made up in gut feel.

We became friends but also competitors.

We both frequented the FM to meet veterans.

Years went by and Ed got very sick with cancer.

Literally on his death bed he had me come over to his house and sold me his entire Airborne collection.

He had stuff from several vets I knew.

As he lay there he gave me one of the greatest compliments I ever got.

'' Manayunkman ( not my real name ) the only reason I kept this Airborne stuff is because I knew you wanted it and I knew if you wanted it it must be worth something"

Well old Ed sold me a bunch of stuff including this Jump jacket.

He told me he got the jacket from the vet.

I knew Naugle had to be local so I went to the phone book and started calling people.

I found Naugle's son.

Turns out Naugle was in the 82nd 505 PIR.

He made the Sicily jump and was so badly wounded ( head injury ) that it sent him home.

I've had the jacket now for I think 25 years.

I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you Ed sorry you had to die so young.

post-51189-1342065276.jpg

manayunkman

If anyone can shed any further light on this please do.

All comments are appreciated.

M

manayunkman
You do seem to have the best stuff and cover a lot of differant areas

Many years and perpetual searching.

Thanks

M

History Man

Manny,

Another top shelf item, great M42. :thumbsup:

So far I was able to find this:

Second Lieutenant William R Naugle aged 23 Camp Hill Pa paratrooper wounded left arm Sicily

His serial number is: O-1296407

Philip

manayunkman
Manny,

Another top shelf item, great M42. :thumbsup:

So far I was able to find this:

Second Lieutenant William R Naugle aged 23 Camp Hill Pa paratrooper wounded left arm Sicily

His serial number is: O-1296407

Philip

Thanks Philip. Where did you find that out ?

I googled him but never got that far.

Thanks for the info.

But please tell me where that info came from.

M

I am friends with a 505 vet. I can ask him this weekend. Do you happen to know what Company? Or can anyone find out? At 90 years old, I have to come with as much info as possible for him!

manayunkman
I am friends with a 505 vet. I can ask him this weekend. Do you happen to know what Company? Or can anyone find out? At 90 years old, I have to come with as much info as possible for him!

"G"

History Man

Manny,

Here is the whole of the section that the wounded info came from:

The following were inducted from the No 3 Indiana county selective service board with headquarters at WOUNDED MEN ARE GIVEN PURPLE HEART AWARDS By United Press ATLANTIC CITY N J Aug 26 soldiers from eight states have received Purple Heart awards here at the new United States army general hospital The medals were presented by Colonel L A ver hospital commandant Second Lieutenant William R Naugle aged 23 Camp Hill Pa paratrooper wounded left arm Sicily Technical Fourth Grade Stanley C Iwanski aged 24 infantry cago 111 wounded left hand Tunis Technical Fifth Grade John W Fields aged 26 coast artillery Kansas City Mo head and body injuries Tunisia Private First Class Franklin A aged 23 infantry ton Mo shot in leg pass Tunisia Private First Class Cloys M Bennett aged 24 infantry ville Ga wounded right leg Mateur Tunisia Technical Fifth Grade John C Oswalt aged 23 tank destroyer unit Greenville Miss body es Mateur Tunisia Private First Class Emil D aged 22 infantry Bluffton nd gunshot wound right hip Bizerte Tunisia Private Henry H Eckhoff aged 25 infantry Kanawha la d right eye and hand Bizerte Tunisia Private Maston M Mitchell aged 7 infantry Huntington W Va fun shot wound left thigh Bizerte Indiana

This is the website: LINK

Philip

"G"

Manny....I'll give him a call over the weekend. Fingers crossed that he may have known/remember him.

I hate to sidetrack this thread. I sent you a PM in regards to our Grandfather who was a 505th pathfinder Co A. He was KIA 06 June 1944 at La Fiere Mansion. Can you please ask your friend if he possibly knew my Grandfather?? My Grandfather was from North Carolina, Durham area. His name is James J. Currin.

Thanks,

Chris

I hate to sidetrack this thread. I sent you a PM in regards to our Grandfather who was a 505th pathfinder Co A. He was KIA 06 June 1944 at La Fiere Mansion. Can you please ask your friend if he possibly knew my Grandfather?? My Grandfather was from North Carolina, Durham area. His name is James J. Currin.

Thanks,

Chris

PM Replied to. Will do for sure.

manayunkman
Manny....I'll give him a call over the weekend. Fingers crossed that he may have known/remember him.

Hope springs eternal.

manayunkman
Awesome M42, looks like your friend would be very happy that it's in the right hands.

Thank you for your comments as always.

M

manayunkman
You do seem to have the best stuff and cover a lot of differant areas

In the mid 80's I made a decision to become more of a closet collector.

I stopped buying from other collectors and dealers and decided to just go after vet finds.

I only kept the most interesting things I found and there in lies the reason for the diversity.

In the mid 80's I made a decision to become more of a closet collector.

I stopped buying from other collectors and dealers and decided to just go after vet finds.

I only kept the most interesting things I found and there in lies the reason for the diversity.

"M" -

Shoot me an email. I'm still in the neighborhood and might be able to help you. (I'm at work now, 2nd 16 hour shift and I'm beat). 10-4?

TK

dave peifer

hello manny........just a great piece,love it.i have not thought of ed in many many years,really brings back some memories.........dave