Not Your Average G-1 Flight Jacket

JDK

It's a little quiet at the office today so I thought I would share a cool G-1 that I picked up last year since I had the photos handy. It belonged to a WW2 Marine Ace who was also awarded the Navy Cross for actions at Midway. It has some great Korean War era patches on it.

Enjoy, JD

post-2901-0-02029800-1399925040.jpg

post-2901-0-18509900-1399925048.jpg

Gorgeous! It looks brand-new!

As good as it looks now...there's one sure-fire thing that would make that jacket look the best that it possibly can....

...relocation to my collection! ;)

J

Thats a sweetheart.dont get much nicer. :thumbsup: glad your having a slow day so you could post it. :lol:

How did you aquire this??

Johnny Signor

Hey JDK , the Devil with the Flashlight/Pistol/Lightning bolt patch , do you have an ID on what unit ???????????

It seem famailiar ................................

Maybe a latter variation of the VMF(N)-533 Black Mac's Killers ................................

I have seen one with the titles and the devil with a flashlight and gun , but not this version .

Johnny

Great looking jacket! He wore this late in his career. It looks like a 60's contract G-1 and the patches really highlight his long service,

Kurt

Johnny Signor
"The Death-rattlers"!? Love it! :twothumbup:

The Death Rattlers is the shoulder patch on left in photo , anyone know what the "devil" patch is ??????????????

I'm thinking a "latter" version of VMF(N)-533 ......................

Johnny

Thanks for the compliments guys. To answer a couple of your questions:

The jacket came from a well discussed auction house last summer when the really great items/lots were selling for very cheap. It was in a pile of USMC aviator related items where descriptions were barely present. This was considered one of the extras! The other items were related to USMC pilots and aces as well and most are of WW2 vintage. I will get them on here at some point!

I'm not much of a Post WW2 collector myself but decided to hang on to this piece considering its beautiful condition and the man it belonged to. I believe the jacket is a late 50's early 60's contract and that the patches are of Korean War vintage. The 214 patch is a killer. Kunz commanded 214 for a short time.

Johnny, as for your question, I'm not sure of the answer. Wish I could help.

Happy Hunting!

JD

Johnny Signor

anyone who may want to look it up, I found another jacket photo with the "Devil" patch in question I was wondering about on JDK's posting of his G-1 , it is a Korean era patch for VMF(N)-533 , they trained in F7F Tigercats out of MCAS Cherry Point , and the site showing the jacket/patch you can find by typing in, By the way they got thier F7F's just prior to the end of WW2 and didn't get into combat but were in China for a short time with them.

G-1 Flight Jacket of R.Bourgholtzer,c.Korean War Display

Click it and you will see the patches of the jacket in small clickable pohotos that enlarge , the "Devil" one is there .............................

Also a brief bit of info above about the jacket/patches.

Johnny

Thanks for the compliments guys. To answer a couple of your questions:

The jacket came from a well discussed auction house last summer when the really great items/lots were selling for very cheap. It was in a pile of USMC aviator related items where descriptions were barely present. This was considered one of the extras! The other items were related to USMC pilots and aces as well and most are of WW2 vintage. I will get them on here at some point!

I'm not much of a Post WW2 collector myself but decided to hang on to this piece considering its beautiful condition and the man it belonged to. I believe the jacket is a late 50's early 60's contract and that the patches are of Korean War vintage. The 214 patch is a killer. Kunz commanded 214 for a short time.

Johnny, as for your question, I'm not sure of the answer. Wish I could help.

Happy Hunting!

JD

Ahhh, so you're the guy. You must have gotten your bid in earlier than me as the lot sold for my high bid according to the final sell price. Glad it's in a good home. I want to see the lightweight VMF 214 jacket from Bowers that was behind this one in the auction photo. If you need to make room for it all, I'm interested in your VF 9 jacket. :rolleyes:

Jeffro

Ahhh, so you're the guy. You must have gotten your bid in earlier than me as the lot sold for my high bid according to the final sell price. Glad it's in a good home. I want to see the lightweight VMF 214 jacket from Bowers that was behind this one in the auction photo. If you need to make room for it all, I'm interested in your VF 9 jacket. :rolleyes:

Jeffro

Sorry Jeffro. I know the feeling!

The Bowers jacket is a little beat, but has a original Aussie made 214 patch that is very rare. Not to rub it in, but the lot also had a couple items from McClurg as well as Terrence Mann. I will get photos up here eventually.

JD