USMC Chevron Regs for 1943-44?

kklinejr

I thought this was mentioned somewhere on the Forum earlier, but I couldn't find the post. What year did the USMC allow the chevron to be worn only on the left sleeve? If I remember, it was a way of conserving supplies, but I am unsure what year that happened (43? 44?). Thank you for your time!

Ken

9 September 1942

LETTER OF INSTRUCTION NO.198

To: All commanding Officers

All Accountable Officers

Subject: Issue and wear of chevrons.

1. Chevrons will be issued on the basis of one per garment requiring them. The single chevron will be worn on the left sleeve in the manner now prescribed in Uniform Regulations, U.S. Maarine Corps 1937, paragraph 220.

2. Enlisted men wearing chevrons, who are promoted, will turn in to the issuing officer their old chevrons at the time they draw chevrons for their new rank. Issuing officers will issue all serviceable chevrons so recovered.

T. Holcomb

________________________________________________________________________________

Hope that helps.

Respectfully,

Terry ("Bagman")

• 8 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

I will also add for anyone reading this in 2021 that the two-chevron issue policy was reinstated on 16 April 1945 with Letter of Instruction 1004 which revokes the previous mentioned LOI and states:

"Appropriate chevrons will be issued to enlisted men on the basis of two per garment requiring them, effective 1 June 1945.  Enlisted men of the rank of private first class and above, who are promoted, will turn in all chevrons of their former rank in their possession at the time they draw chevrons of the new rank.  Issuing officers will reissue all serviceable chevron so recovered.   D. Peck"