ideas on displaying rolled photos/documents?

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

I have several "yard long" photos and some documents that are in their original mailing tubes that I would like do somehow display. Does anyone have any ideas on how to display the photo/document and still keep the mailing tube with the item to prevent future seperation.

The only thing I have been able to come up with is to somehow attach the tube to the document frame. But how without damaging it?

teufelhunde.ret

Just an idea... likely very expensive, how about a shadow box of sorts think.gif Surely someone else looked into this? s/f Darrell

IMPERIAL QUEST
I have several "yard long" photos and some documents that are in their original mailing tubes that I would like do somehow display. Does anyone have any ideas on how to display the photo/document and still keep the mailing tube with the item to prevent future seperation.

The only thing I have been able to come up with is to somehow attach the tube to the document frame. But how without damaging it?

I had a problem deciding how to display as well. What I ended up doing was finding an old frame at an antique shop that fit the looooooong photo. I then took the original mailing tube and suspended under the frame, centered and flush with the bottom. This can be accomplished by using a heavy quality brown-colored string. You simply run the string through one end and out the other, then attach the two loose ends to the bottom reverse of the frame with a couple of staples. It doesn't look bad, and serves as a type of placard for the photo.

I tried the shadow box idea, but found that it looked terrible because of the proportions and void space.

Stinger Gunner USMC
I had a problem deciding how to display as well. What I ended up doing was finding an old frame at an antique shop that fit the looooooong photo. I then took the original mailing tube and suspended under the frame, centered and flush with the bottom. This can be accomplished by using a heavy quality brown-colored string. You simply run the string through one end and out the other, then attach the two loose ends to the bottom reverse of the frame with a couple of staples. It doesn't look bad, and serves as a type of placard for the photo.

I tried the shadow box idea, but found that it looked terrible because of the proportions and void space.

I was thinking about something along these lines but had not come up with a way to attach the mailing tube. Thanks for the idea!

I was thinking about something along these lines but had not come up with a way to attach the mailing tube. Thanks for the idea!

FYI:

If you decide to get those 'yard longs' custom framed using 100% archival materials (rag backboard, conservation non-glare glass etc..), it will cost you a pretty penny. I have a nice WWI 82nd div 'yard long' I had framed this way and don't regret paying the $$$ to go the extra mile...