pole climbing

pattyd82ab

pattyd82ab

Does any one know what the ww2 military pole climbing equipment looked like? Maybe someone could post pictures. I'm finding many civilian sets from the era, but nothing explicitly military.

craig_pickrall

Idon't own any of this gear but here is photos from LIFE Macazine dated FEB 15, 1943.

post-5-1341678518.jpg

post-5-1341678528.jpg

post-5-1341678538.jpg

post-5-1341678547.jpg

post-5-1341678556.jpg

Much of the equipment is what your local electrical lineman would still use.Just different materials to make the items more light weight.

Several years ago I did see a set of the climbing hooks/gaffs that were US marked in the foot stirrups.From the look of the leather they were WW2 or Korea era.

There's a couple of items shown in this thread

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=83602

In the second photo, there is a metal plate to the left of the SC stamp. That plate should have a date stamp on it. The belts and safety straps came in leather (early war) and treated canvas (mid to late war). All of the gaffs that I have seen have had leather straps. I don't have any pics of my stuff, but will try to get something this weekend.

Technically there was two sets of equipment - TE-21 Lineman and TE-23 Groundman

TE-21 Lineman

LC-1 Axe

LC-23 Belt w/ safety strap

LC-24 twisting plier

LC-5 climbers (gaffs)

TL-107 pliers, 8" length

TL-106 screwdriver

LC-25-A wrench lineman

LC-29 gloves, rubber

LC-29 gloves, leather

TL-144 gaff gage

TE-23 Groundman

LC-30 or LC-23 belt (no safety strap)

LC-10 gloves, leather

TL-107 pliers, 8" length

LC-1 Axe

LC-25-A wrench lineman

HM-1 hammer, 2lb

Hope that helps a little.

Peter

Third Herd

I have had a pair of climbing spikes in my hands but can't remember the straps. We had gotten a new CO who didn't know what she was doing (made Brigadier General). At summer camp she walked up and handed them to me and ordered me to put como wire up in the trees. I was a Tactical Multichannel Repairman and had seen linemen climb, but had no idea how to do it. Someone found a Como Section Lineman and it cost me some beers to have him do it.

• 8 months later...

Pattyd82ab,

I suspect if you check with the Army Signal School museum or Public Affairs at FT Gordon, GA they might give you all the information you want.

Ken

• 1 year later...

I had a pair of US marked Klein linesmans spikes at one point so they are out there. I believe they were WWII dated.