my personal experiments with vintage body armor

seniorElMeowMeow

seniorElMeowMeow

first pic is of titanium plates from a soviet 6B3 vest, and a doron fiberglass plate from a marine corps m1955 vest, plus a 1/4" aluminum plate. the 6.5mm titanium stopped the AK round but not the faster m193 bullet fired from a colt AR15A2.a .45 acp round broke the 1.5mm titanium plate in half but was stopped. a 9mm went through the plate. The doron plate failed to stop a 9mm round, but even in its compromised state stopped a .45acp FMJ. The aluminum plate stopped a 7.62 tokarev but not a .30 carbine. all tests under 10 feet.

second pic are ballistic panels from a crewman's fragmentation vest. a 9mm fmj went though one 8 layer panel. this means that a vest with 2 sets of panels is roughly threat level 2a.

post-92524-1341457172.jpg

post-92524-1341457517.jpg

seniorElMeowMeow

this picture is the back panel of a 6b3 vest. it stopped 9mm, 7.62 tokarev, but not .30 carbine.

post-92524-1341457858.jpg

seniorElMeowMeow

in this experiment i was trying to simulate a t64 m12 armor vest with 1/8 aluminum plates and 8 layers of ballistic nylon backing. the aluminum didn't stop the .45acp but slowed it down enough that the nylon stopped it.

post-92524-1341458202.jpg

seniorElMeowMeow

this is a ceramic plate from an ISAPO vest, and is constructed in a similar manner to those in ranger body armor. an armor piercing .30-06 went right through it but it was able to stop steel jacketed 30-06 a few minuets later. the contents of the plate were 2x2 inch aluminum oxide tiles, and a large fiberglass backing to catch the bullet fragments.

post-92524-1341458377.jpg

seniorElMeowMeow

this is the back of a mile dragic dyneema plate. it stopped 3 ak rounds, failed to stop the perpetrators of two m855 rounds (5.56 nato) failed to stop a steel jacketed 30-06, but then stopped 2 more ak rounds.

post-92524-1341458793.jpg

jkash23686

I see that you're a armor collector based on your first post, being mostly a helmet collector, I'm not sure I could ever put a bullet though an M1 just to see what would happen and test it. Also not really sure how rare what you used is either.

seniorElMeowMeow
I see that you're a armor collector based on your first post, being mostly a helmet collector, I'm not sure I could ever put a bullet though an M1 just to see what would happen and test it. Also not really sure how rare what you used is either.

Ive shot Belgian, Israeli, and American m1 helmets. it will stop a .45 but leaves a dent. at close range 9mm can plink or penetrate. Czech helmets are crap and those east German helmets out preform older kevlar helmets in terms of deflecting bullets. Ive shot PASGT and LWH helmets before too. a tokarev will go through most helmets but the east German one.

seniorElMeowMeow
What might be the effectiveness of those against random shrapnel vs. point blank projectiles?

shrapnel has an indeterminate shape, size, density, velocity, or composition. the general rule is wider, slower, and softer is less likely to penetrate.

shrapnel has an indeterminate shape, size, density, velocity, or composition. the general rule is wider, slower, and softer is less likely to penetrate.

That's what I was hoping you would say! :w00t:

• 2 weeks later...