Old dog tag...USNR Ror P??? help pls!

sgtdorango

sgtdorango

I stumbled on this nice old early dog tag at an antique show today, its the older kind with the fingerprint on the back and old string cord ....named to John C. Fein 12/12/17 513193 and USNR* and the last letter is an R or a P so USNRR or USNRP?.....i have seen USNR (United States Navel Reserve) but wonder what the last R or P could stand for?also is the date his birth date or enlistment date?....i dont know much about these tags and this one is got me scratching my head!....would also appreciate any help on info on John Fein......thanks for any help or info!.....mike

post-350-1341449777.jpg

Mike,

Nice dog tag!

Yeah, 12/12/1917 is his enlistment date. It looks like his birth date is below that.

Fein John Clemens -- [service Number] 001503118, [Date of Enlistment] 12/12/1917

Jason

sgtdorango

Thanks Jason!.....aha so its his birthdate 5/3/93...i wonder if i can find out what ship he might have been on and what is the meaning of the P or R after USNR??.....i really dont collect dogtags (im a helmet guy!) and will probably move this along to someone who will appreciate it more than me, but i certainly am intrigued by it now!......thanks!.....mike :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason!.....aha so its his birthdate 5/3/93...i wonder if i can find out what ship he might have been on and what is the meaning of the P or R after USNR??.....i really dont collect dogtags (im a helmet guy!) and will probably move this along to someone who will appreciate it more than me, but i certainly am intrigued by it now!......thanks!.....mike :thumbsup:

Mike,

Your welcome. I just found this on ancestry.

Name: John C Fein

Father: Clemens Fein

Birth: 3 May 1893 - Boston, Massachusetts

Vital: 3 May 1893 - Boston, Massachusetts

Will see if there anything military related about him listed.

Jason

I'm not seeing really any thing military related listed on ancestry. The muster rolls only go back to 1938.

The "P" should be an "F" which stood for US Naval Reserve Force - there was not a "Navy Reserve" at that time

Bill

The "P" should be an "F" which stood for US Naval Reserve Force - there was not a "Navy Reserve" at that time

You called it, Bill, it's an "F" and the period makes it look like an "R."

Justin B.

sgtdorango
Here is his WWI registration card. Unfortunately, not of much help with respect to his service.

Thanks guys!!........mike

• 1 month later...

Thanks again everybody for their help, i have decided to put these up for sale as they are not my collecting focus , will include a copy of his draft card that members here were nice enough to find for me.....if anyone is interested please let me know.....thanks.....mike :thumbsup:

• 9 months later...

Pretty interesting that you found it after the storm.

This would be a WWII US Navy dog tag (USNR - United States Navy Reserve).

Name is of course Albert E. Pike

Serial # - 356-91-87 (The 9 was imprinted in error and corrected - first I have seen like this)

T-2/43-O = Tetanus Shot in February 1943, Blood Type is Type O

I was able to find his BIRLS and SSDI file. He enlisted in January 1943 with corroborates with the February Tetanus shot. Looks like he continued service until at least 1954.

post-29885-0-77440900-1370278517.jpg

He passed away in 1996 and is buried in San Augustine, TX....Not sure where you are located, however this is 400 miles from Moore, OK. I imagine a family member of his, or even a collector, lived in OK and had the dog tag.

Here's a link to his findagrave memorial:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=PIK&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GSst=46&GScntry=4&GSsr=1&GRid=60206946&

• 3 years later...

This information has helped me decipher my grandfather's USNRF WWI dog tag and explain why his thumb print is on the back. I've attempted to use the information to locate his enrollment papers without success. His name is clearly listed on the tag as

ARTHUR GIBSON: enlistment date: 7-29-18 and his DOB is confirmed as 3-31-1899. I believe he was living in New England (Massachusetts, or Rhode Island) but I have not found any on-line records. Were some of the Navel Reserves "undocumented"?

I have information from VA BIRLS death files, that have enlistment of 18-Aug 1918 (why is there a dependency?)