CBI Majors Ike and Cap

Ricardo

Hi All,

I am negotiating this uniform with another colleague and friend collector.

I requested permission to place some images to verify opinions here.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Hi,

The point is the Soldier Medal ribbon - is normal to Pilot Officer?

SoldMedal.gif

The Soldier's Medal is a military award of the United States Army. It was introduced by a law passed by U.S. Congress on July 2, 1926. The criteria for the medal are: "The Soldier's Medal is awarded to any person of the Armed Forces of the United States or of a friendly foreign nation who, while serving in any capacity with the Army of the United States, distinguished himself or herself by heroism not involving actual conflict with an enemy." (Army Regulation 600-8-22).

Often, the medal is awarded to soldiers who risk their lives to save other people. The medal can be awarded in peacetime if the soldier's heroism is held to be equal to or greater than the level which would have justified an award of the Distinguished Service Cross (which is only awarded for valor) if the act had taken place in combat. An enlisted recipient who is eligible for retirement pay (20 years or more of service) will receive an increase of 10 percent in retirement pay, just as if the soldier had earned the DSC.

The first medals were awarded on October 17, 1927 to John F. Burns and James P. Martin, for heroism during a fire and to James K. Wilson and Cleophas C. Burnett for saving people from drowning.

Notable recipients of the Soldier's Medal include Colin Powell, who was awarded the decoration during his second tour in Vietnam (1968-69) when he was injured in a helicopter crash and, despite his wounds, rescued two comrades from the burning wreckage. In 1968 three soldiers were awarded with this medal for their intervention in the My Lai Massacre (1968). They were Hugh Thompson, Jr., Lawrence Colburn and Glenn Andreotta; Andreotta was awarded the decoration posthumously. In 2001, following the terrorist attack on the Pentagon, the US Army issued an unprecedented number of these awards (28), to personnel who risked their own lives to assist of their fellow comrades in the wake of the attack. A partial list of recipients include : Staff Sgt. Christopher Braman, Capt. Franklin Xia Yitao, Lt. Col. Paul Anderson, Lt. Col. Thomas Cleary, III, Sgt. Matthew Rosenberg, and Col. Roy Wallace.

The most recent recipient of the Soldier's Medal is Sgt. Kraig Lemme, who received the medal in 2006 for his heroic actions in saving the crew of a tank that had flipped upside down while on patrol in Iraq.

The Soldier's Medal is considered to be equivalent to the Navy and Marine Corps Medal, the Airman's Medal, and the Coast Guard Medal.

Best regards,

Ricardo.

The Pilot Wings is Meyer maker marked:

cbi20004qn1.jpg

Hello Ricardo. The jacket looks like a standard chocolate officer's blouse cut down to an Ike. I can't speak to the authenticity of the patches from the photos and will leave that to someone more knowledgeable.

The ribbons appear to be standard Wolf-Brown plastic-coated ones. Normally they would be mounted on a rather thick aluminum clutch-back bar but I have seen them on thinner brass ones with a paper/cardboard spacer between the ribbon and bar to keep them from sliding off. The ribbons, by the way, are the inly issue I saw with the jacket, and a minor one at that.

The Purple Heart carried a lower precedence than vitrtually any other individual decoration until the 1980s when its precedence was upgraded to just below the Bronze Star. On this blouse, it's mounted between a Soldier's Medal and Air medal; ahead of the Air Medal. While I've seen several instances of a uniform with campaign ribbons in the wrong order, I think it would be less likely (though nothing is impossible) to get the PH and AM reversed.

While one doesn't normally see a Soldier's Medal on a pilot's uniform, it's not impossible and that didn't trigger any concern with me. For example, in late 1944, my father-in-law was assigned to a B-24 unit in England. One evening while he was walking back to his quarters, he came across an enlisted crewman who had a suffered mental break-down after a particualrly bad mission.

The enlistes man had grabbed a loaded carbine from one of the gate guards and was threatening to start shooting. My father-in-law walked up to him and after talking with him for a minute or two to calm him, took the carbine from him. He received a Soldier's Medal for that act of non-combat heroism.

That's my 2-cents worth. All in all, a nice uniform!

While one doesn't normally see a Soldier's Medal on a pilot's uniform, it's not impossible and that didn't trigger any concern with me. For example, in late 1944, my father-in-law was assigned to a B-24 unit in England. One evening while he was walking back to his quarters, he came across an enlisted crewman who had a suffered mental break-down after a particualrly bad mission.

The enlistes man had grabbed a loaded carbine from one of the gate guards and was threatening to start shooting. My father-in-law walked up to him and after talking with him for a minute or two to calm him, took the carbine from him. He received a Soldier's Medal for that act of non-combat heroism.

WOW!!!!! w00t.gif

Hi,

About Soldier´s Medal ... in the CIB operations theater many acts of value and bravery had existed made by aerial crews. Many aids the local populations and to the allies armies, as well as support the base colleagues after Japanese attacks.

I have a CIB Pilot uniform with Star Bronze with OLC - certainly some action of bravery in ground.

cpiadeusaafpilotpaciflu2.jpg

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Ricardo,

I can't speak to the uniform as a whole, but the patches look good to me, and I like the light blue circle on the CBI. The wings look pretty good from the photos, they SHOULDN'T be marked Sterling as the Star and Legs, which appear to be the "factory" added type, which most likely aren't sterling. You of course have to watch Meyer wings, but these look OK to me, even if the detail is a bit weak. If you follow the "price of the parts" rule, you will do OK.

Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

The uniform group arrived in my home a some time a go.

It is GREAT!!! thumbsup.gif

The uniform have a name´s tag!!

The name is: "SCARPATO U.C."

Please, help me to find more information about this veteran! thumbsup.gif

Thanks!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

The soldiers medal could have also been awarded for an incident pre-war.I had one of our forum members...Mike Walsh do a research on a soldiers medal and the man was awarded the medal in 1937 for saving a young girl who had fallen through the ice of a frozen lake.The man was also a pilot in WW2 and was a squadron commander during the war if I remember correctly.He retired in 1954as a full bird Colonel.