Battle of Gettysburg Anniversary

Patriot

Today marks the 149th year since the battle of Gettysburg (July 1 - 3, 1863). Let everyone take a moment to remember. :salute:

Confederate Commander: Robert E. Lee

Union Commander: George G. Meade

Confederate Forces Engaged: 75,000

Union Forces Engaged: 82,289

Winner: Union

Casualties: 51,112 (23,049 Union and 28,063 Confederate)

post-2801-1341181778.jpg

post-2801-1341181869.jpg

On the morning of July 1st, 1863, John Bufords yankee cavalry runs into Henry Heth's division of A.P. Hill's corps . Looking for shoes at the small crossroads town of Gettysburg.

willysmb44

Imagine what a madhouse the Gettysburg area is going to like this time next year for the 150th... :think:

I know someone who lives there and his family is taking 2 weeks off in that timeframe and going out of town on vacation to avoid the crowds. I asked how he could miss this and he said if you lived in the town, anniversaries become less and less special as time goes on.

Imagine what a madhouse the Gettysburg area is going to like this time next year for the 150th... :think:

I know someone who lives there and his family is taking 2 weeks off in that timeframe and going out of town on vacation to avoid the crowds. I asked how he could miss this and he said if you lived in the town, anniversaries become less and less special as time goes on.

I am actually going down there for the big 150th. I was there last year, and this year too. I know, I am crazy....

Next year I will also be venturing to Washington, DC for the first time in my life. :ermm:

General Meade's wife, Margaretta Sergeant is my 4th cousin, making their son, George G. Meade Jr, my 5th cousin. Jr. began the war in Rush's Lancers - the 6th Penna Cavalry (with my GGG Grandfather who was in "F" company) who were also at Gettysburg under Buford. By then Meade Jr. was his father's aide-de-camp.

willysmb44

I was at Aberdeen Proving Ground as a ROTC cadet and Army LT, so I went to the battlefield several times. I was also there for the 135th anniversary...

My Great-Great grandfather (who lived into the 1930s, my oldest uncle several years ago once told me about talking with him as a kid) was in a CSA unit that was supposedly at that battle but there's really no way to know if he was there. I'd tend to doubt he was because he was pretyt young at the time and was very active in CSA vet events for the rest of his life, I'd bet if he'd been there people would have heard about it from him and it'd be known today...

In 1998 someone snapped this shot of me at Devil's Den in the uniform I had made (a 1863 version of what I was in real life at the time):

OrdGburg.jpg

I was at Aberdeen Proving Ground as a ROTC cadet and Army LT, so I went to the battlefield several times. I was also there for the 135th anniversary...

My Great-Great grandfather (who lived into the 1930s, my oldest uncle several years ago once told me about talking with him as a kid) was in a CSA unit that was supposedly at that battle but there's really no way to know if he was there. I'd tend to doubt he was because he was pretyt young at the time and was very active in CSA vet events for the rest of his life, I'd bet if he'd been there people would have heard about it from him and it'd be known today...

In 1998 someone snapped this shot of me at Devil's Den in the uniform I had made (a 1863 version of what I was in real life at the time):

OrdGburg.jpg

That's a sharp uniform!

My wife's family has some Reb ancestry that I haven't begun to research. They originate in Virginia with several having fought in the Rev War. I have found documents that can be used to further research specifics of their CSA service...at least as far as I can afford to go...but I've been pursuing the low-hanging-fruit first.

I had three ancestors, all brothers, who fought on the rocky face of Little Round Top with the 44th and 146th New York Infantry. One of them lived into the late 1930's.

And I have to agree - that uniform looks great! If I attemtped a homemade uniform, it would never come close to looking that nice (and authentic).

Manchu Warrior

I am about an hour or so from Gettysburg and I use to go there all the time when my kids were young. The only time I was there for any kind of anniversary or dedication was when they dedicated the Maryland Monument back in 1994. Somewhere around here I have the dedication ribbons and programs they gave me and the ex-wife that day. At least I hope I still have them.

post-1412-1341334639.jpg

Here is Some Info on the Fighting Irish 69th Brigade that served in Gettysburg

right through to the very End of the American Civil War. :salute:

<a href="http://thismightyscourge.com/2009/08/20/the-fighting-69th-new-york-infantry-regiment-and-the-irish-brigade/" target="_blank">http://thismightyscourge.com/2009/08/20/th...-irish-brigade/</a>

Éireánne Gó Brágh.

X_redcatcher

My family fought in the Rose Farm Wheatfield area, one lost his life there and must be burried in a unknown grave at Gettysburg, there is no listing of his grave anywere.

Although my ggrandfather was a Sgt in the 11th NY Vol Cav, he did NOT make the scene for Gettysburg. He and the 11th were active in/at/around Antietam the previous autumn, and he was crippled in a training accident in DC thereafter. The unit was brushing up its fence leaping skills (in the neighborhood of the latterday Walter Reed hospital in DC) when his horse was spooked by a cat or fox bolting from the underbrush; the horse wound up on top of him breaking two of his legs. He was medicalled out in late June 1863 and was on train home when Gettysburg was the news.

I used to love going to Gettysburg when we lived in NY. We were also there for the 135th Anniversary. I miss that place; I don't know what it is but being there it just gives you goosebumps. Now that we live in FL, I doubt we'll be able to make it up there for the 150th. BTW I used to be in the SUVCW when I was in NY. I tried to do it down here in FL but its just not the same. Used to have the whole uniform and do memorials at Grant's Tomb. But I sold off the uniform as I wasn't using it and needed the funds as I lost my job at the time; what else is new in FL.

Jeff Ashenfelter

My wife and I were also there a few weeks ago, we were on a mission to visit the grave of my best friends relative who was shot in the thigh on the first days battle. His name was Philip Bennett and served with company f of the 7th regiment of the Iron Brigade. Not only did we find his grave marker but we also found that a picture of him was on display in the museum there at the visitors center.

Although only shot in the thigh he died 2 days later and is buried at the Union Cemetary at Gettysburg. While doing some more research on this man I learned that Co F which was placed on Mcphersons Ridge slammed into Archers Brigade the morning of july first. While this unit was mostly decimated they managed to take Archer and his unit flag prisoner. The three men involved in the capture were Capt john Callis, Richard Huftill and Webb Cook. When the Confederates were reinforced they shot Capt Callis and captured Huftill. Callis lay wounded on the battlefield for 43 hours and the rebels left him for dead as he was shot in the chest. What they did not know however was that Callis had Archers flag folded up and stuffed into his coat. Somehow Callis survived his ordeal and made it home alive to his home in Lancaster Wisconsin. The captured flag was eventually given to the local GAR group sometime in the late 1800.s, it was lost for over a 100 years until being discovered in a box. The flag was restored in 2004-2007 at a cost of $17,000.00 and can be seen today at the Grant county courthouse along with many civil war artifacts donated by Grant county soldiers.

My wife and I traveled there yesterday as it is only 100 miles from where I live. The flag is truly magnificent and is the type with the blue shield in the left hand corner with 7 silver bullion stars, and the rest is the horizontal stripes.

To top off our visit we went to the local cemetary and found the grave of Capt Callis and many other union soldiers from Grant county, I have some pictures of the flag, Callis, Bennett, gettysburg, etc and will post them after I reduce them in size.

Jeff Ashenfelter

Here is a crappy picture of the flag, it was hard to photograph because of the glass and the narrow confines of the hall where it is located.

post-2827-1342140314.jpg

Jeff Ashenfelter
Here is a crappy picture of the flag, it was hard to photograph because of the glass and the narrow confines of the hall where it is located.

Here is a picture of Capt john Callis who lied wounded with the flag under his coat

post-2827-1342140418.jpg

Jeff Ashenfelter
Here is a picture of Capt john Callis who lied wounded with the flag under his coat

this is a picture of the Civil War monument at the courthouse which was supposed to be the first conceived monument to the civil War.1867

post-2827-1342140520.jpg

Jeff Ashenfelter
this is a picture of the Civil War monument at the courthouse which was supposed to be the first conceived monument to the civil War.1867

Callis Headstone.

post-2827-1342141266.jpg

Jeff Ashenfelter
Picture of phillip Bennett at Gettysburg visitor museum.

Ladies of the GAR monument at the courthouse

post-2827-1342141657.jpg